BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

5 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Suicide squad was oscar nominated, it doesn't make it good does it now.

One got nominated for Best Picture, one for best make up, don't twist facts like that. If you don't calm down, the mods will likely intervene soon. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

One got nominated for Best Picture, one for best make up, don't twist facts like that. If you don't calm down, the mods will likely intervene soon. 

Stop feeding the troll, my dude.

• Like 2

The way you know theaters are bracing for a really bad BO weekend next weekend...

Both of my Cinemarks, after passing on Family Camp, have decided to go deeper into the "no one's gonna watch these, but what the hell" well and booked 2000 Mules and Men, on top of Downton Abbey, next weekend.  They both still had Strange on too many screens this weekend, and I guess they decided they could fit those 2 in for a screen and still give Top Gun 2 all it needs (and Bob's Burgers, but let's face it, that won't be in the same discussion as TG2) by Tuesday...

To pivot a bit as these past few pages have been kind of a shit show. What’s y’all top five of the summer looking at box office wise?

1. Dominion - $575m

2. Thor 4 - $450m

3. Maverick - $405m

4. Strange 2 - $400m (that sweet sweet fudge with help from Lightyear and Thor)

5. Minions - $250m

Downton Abbey 2 was down -40% on the first here in the UK, so don’t be surprised if there’s another rubbish opener next week. 

I’m more than happy for Jurassic World 3 to win summer. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

To pivot a bit as these past few pages have been kind of a shit show. What’s y’all top five of the summer looking at box office wise?

1. Dominion - $575m

2. Thor 4 - $450m

3. Maverick - $405m

5. Minions - $250m

Lightyear is crying

• Like 1

I still expect Strange 2 over 400M DOM. Just over though. But, has another weekend to itself in which it should stabilize a bit. Then, even with Maverick, Memorial Day weekend should help soften the blow. But, yeah, after that weekend it'll fade rather quickly. Again, similar to Iron Man 2 and, even, Civil War.

I'm excited for Men too. That's next weekend but I haven't checked yet if that's a wide release or not. Pretty much all the stuff I'm super jazzed for is gonna make next to nothing. Hoping that's not the case but it's likely... Decision to Leave, Crimes of the Future and Men are way up there for me. All likely to be seen by very few in theaters though. Nope and Bullet Train are way up there for me too but I expect those to do well in theaters. Especially Nope.

22 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Suicide squad was oscar nominated, it doesn't make it good does it now.

Being Oscar nominated for make up does not make good however look at what Black Panther accomplished 

96 Rotten Tomatoes Score

88 Metacritc score

A+ Cinema Score

700 Demestic Boxoffice gross

1.2 Billion WW

7 Oscar nods including 3 wins.

You can’t argue quality with these facts. You personal may not like the film but it’s very clear the vast majority did.

Edited by Nikostar
  • Like 2

I think if Nope has strong WOM and the trailer is a knockout, I think it’ll have insane legs over the summer. Like one of those old runs of $50m/$200m way back in the 2000s.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

WWH is World War Hulk.

I can a Black Widow 2 hypothetically being a stealth Thunderbolts movie with Yelena and Kate doing espionage shit (and hopefully becoming a couple as those two were cute together).

Hmm. Black Widow:Thunderbolts.   

Hadn't considered it before but that could be a good angle to work.

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

1. Dominion - $575m

2. Thor 4 - $450m

3. Maverick - $405m

5. Minions - $250m

Jurassic Word 595M+

Thor 505M+

Strange 405M+

Lightyear 345M+

Maverick 325M+

Minions 235M+

Nope 190M+

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

1. Dominion - $575m

2. Thor 4 - $450m

3. Maverick - $405m

5. Minions - $250m

1. JW Dominion - 486

2. Thor Love and Thunder - 407M

3. Strange 2 - 401M

4. Top Gun Maverick - 352M

5. Lightyear - 336M

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Hmm. Black Widow:Thunderbolts.   

Hadn't considered it before but that could be a good angle to work.

Or Dark Avengers, what ever the lady from FaTWS and Black Widow was planning. I was thinking that could also work for Cap 4 but I think they’ll do Serpent Society and add an Avenger.

The title would be Black Widow and Hawkeye: Thunderbolts though. Something like Yelena and Kate trying to uncover the Thunderbolts (prolly Abomination, US Agent, an Iron Man enemy (Hammer or whoever Usnavi is playing in Ironheart), Moonstone (who would be introduced somewhere), Scorpion and maybe one more). 

2 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

I don't think I buy WWH in 2024. I think a Shang-Chi sequel is more likely. 

Also. I think Nova being a series is a mistake. It should be a movie. 

They are not introducing She-Hulk just for a D+ series, that post credit scene in Shang-Chi is probably a hint that WWH is happening & Captain Marvel could play role of Sentry in it.

10 minutes ago, YourMother said:

1. Dominion - $575m

2. Thor 4 - $450m

3. Maverick - $405m

5. Minions - $250m

Thor  510

JWD 500

DS2 390

TG2 380

Lightyear 350

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The way you know theaters are bracing for a really bad BO weekend next weekend...

Both of my Cinemarks, after passing on Family Camp, have decided to go deeper into the "no one's gonna watch these, but what the hell" well and booked 2000 Mules and Men, on top of Downton Abbey, next weekend.  They both still had Strange on too many screens this weekend, and I guess they decided they could fit those 2 in for a screen and still give Top Gun 2 all it needs (and Bob's Burgers, but let's face it, that won't be in the same discussion as TG2) by Tuesday...

That's one of the post-COVID trends I really don't like: overloading screens for a big OW, and then having nothing left to play 2 weeks later

With less titles (supply) in the pipeline overall, can't image the net return on the 10th screen of Strange at a 16-plex (where people could still fit easily in 1st-9th screen showings) is that much more than holding over even a meh-performing title in like its 4th-8th week. But everyone is doing it, and then scrambling to find space fillers (aka trash) two weeks later, because nothing else of consequence comes out. Its accelerating the cannibalization and weak legs in a market that is struggling with it

• Like 1