BadOlCatSylvester

May 13-15 Weekend Thread | 67.4% drop for Doctor Strange 2

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Hollywood just needs to hire me, i have too many ideas about possible JW spin-off films!

The Kansas Sheep Massacre: A Blue Story

Mission: Dinosaur: T-Rex Protocol

Mosajaws

Beauty and the Dinosaur

The Lord of the Park: The Two Worlds

On second thought, maybe Hollywood shoudnt hire me.

Is The Meg part of the PEU? (Prehistoric Extended Universe)

• Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Perhaps because it’s so rare for a US based release to have a largely Asian cast? Though if it was “all you heard”, perhaps it’s because you have rabbit ears for it 

Public isn’t buying movie tickets en maasse as some kind of social statement: the WOM and ensuing strong holds for SC (and BP) were because of the quality of the content, not identify of the characters 

My god if you actually believe that the "HUGGEEEE" swathes of African Americans who came out from grandmas to church pastors to see this movie was because of the movies "quality" and not it's identity, then you must be living in wonderland looooooool you cannot say that with a straight face. You can just look at all the black politicians, celebrities explicitly saying themselves they only came out to watch as it was the first black superhero movie. This is from their mouths not mines.

Just now, SupermanLego said:

If the only thing this movie has going for that is that i.e identity politics, then it's shallow af. Fiege and co promoted it like that, cannot blame me for that one. Child ? looool look at the responses when you ever talk about identity politics, you have members up in their feelings like babies. The comment from "YourMother" says it all loool 

Dude, read what you type before posting. This is embarrassing. The fact you have to save face to this pathetic level is so humiliating on your part I almost feel bad for you. While at the same time gossiping about others without having no balls to actually tag them. Here @YourMother

Just stop sugarcoating and finally admit you're just uncomfortable with minorities in your Hollywood marketing. Because otherwise it doesn't matter. Zilch, nada finito. Anyone with more than a kindergarten education knows a film has more value than what marketing portrays. Which leads me to believe you have an IQ of room temperature or being intentionally dishonest.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Random other thought, what are folks thinking Nope can do DOM later this summer?

This is just my gut feeling for it, but i think it could be a breakout if it connects with audiences. A 45 - 60M OW should be in the cards considering Peele has become a wider known name after Get Out and Us and if the film is good, a 140 - 180M total is in the cards imo.

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Is The Meg part of the PEU? (Prehistoric Extended Universe)

:ohmygod:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DS2HaterLegion Confirmed said:

Cap 4 was confirmed a while ago and nearing the start of production @JohnnyGossamer. Will come out before SC2 almost for sure, should be announced with a release date in the next 4 months or so. Totally different boat from Eternals 2.

2024- deadpool3, Cap4, F4, WWH(probably)

2025- SC2, Eternals2, BW2, Mutants/Avengers5

2026-DS3, Thor5, BP3, Mutants/Avengers5

5 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

If the only thing this movie has going for that is that i.e identity politics, then it's shallow af. Fiege and co promoted it like that, cannot blame me for that one. Child ? looool look at the responses when you ever talk about identity politics, you have members up in their feelings like babies. The comment from "YourMother" says it all loool 

The feel I got from the marketing was more so MCU trying their hand at Wuxia which is welcome and new enough for them to introduce to their large cinema going fan base. I hope they get a more naturally creative filmmaker for the next one because they can really have a lot of fun with that reality if they do... But, while I know the noise of what you're saying was out there, that isn't really how it was marketed at least to public in the trailers and TV spots. And, again, it was pretty well received by audiences. Good potential going forward.

If we're stuck pretty much with mostly superhero blockbusters going forward for a bit here, two that excite me are Aquaman 2 and Shang Chi 2. Both could and should be pretty spectacular in terms of action and visuals.

12 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Dude, read what you type before posting. This is embarrassing. The fact you have to save face to this pathetic level is so humiliating on your part I almost feel bad for you. While at the same time gossiping about others without having no balls to actually tag them. Here @YourMother

Just stop sugarcoating and finally admit you're just uncomfortable with minorities in your Hollywood marketing. Because otherwise it doesn't matter. Zilch, nada finito. Anyone with more than a kindergarten education knows a film has more value than what marketing portrays. Which leads me to believe you have an IQ of room temperature or being intentionally dishonest.

My god the projection in this tweet.....I bet I'm at least one response away from you calling me a Nazi loooool. The way you only responded to my shang chi comment from that whole paragraph proves my point. You clutch your pearls like babies any time some one brings up identity politics.  This will be my last comment on this shang chi fiasco.

Edited by SupermanLego
  • Knock It Off 4

10 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

My god if you actually believe that the "HUGGEEEE" swathes of African Americans who came out from grandmas to church pastors to see this movie was because of the movies "quality" and not it's identity, then you must be living in wonderland looooooool you cannot say that with a straight face. You can just look at all the black politicians, celebrities explicitly saying themselves they only came out to watch as it was the first black superhero movie. This is from their mouths not mines.

Really? Are you serious?

If Black Panther was shit it would never have been the success it was. Your comment is completely undermining its success.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Really? Are you serious?

If Black Panther was shit it would never have been the success it was. Your comment is completely undermining its success.

Yes lets focus on the quality of this mediocre MCU movie and completely ignore what I said.

Edited by SupermanLego
  • Knock It Off 3

2 minutes ago, SupermanLego said:

Yes lets focus on the quality of this mediocre MCU movie and completely ignore what I said.

Black Panther is one of the best MCU films. An Oscar nominated movie. So I will ignore what you said.

This is my last reply to you. Clearly just a DC troll who should be ignored.

As for the MCU doom and gloom talk, I think the franchise will continue to be successful but I think so long as you don’t have eyes in the skies, every MCU film must do 400m/$1b ww cause inflation/EG yadda yadda yadda. I always thought before the blitz got our predictions higher that even with the multiverse stuff/NWH hook, MoM would have likely not been as big as there’s only so much a Doctor Strange sequel (yes it’s multiverse but at its core it’s a Doctor Strange sequel with Wanda) could jump and the May openers with only an Avengers movie and a Guardians movie being the outliers, the multiple was going to be around 2.4x at the absolute most with 2.2-2.3x being the likely range. Strange looks more around the 2.1-2.2 range. 

I also think with 3 PM previews, movies especially CBMs will become more frontloaded for fear of spoilers. So that played in a factor but at the end of the day I do think there’s some (don’t haha I’m not saying it’s all downhill or everything will flop, I hope people will read the nuance in this as I’m saying some not all) GA fatigue for superhero stuff which should not come as a surprise when there’s at a minimum 8 MCU movies and shows, 4 DCEU movies and a show, and 3 Sony Marvel movies a year especially when including stuff like The Boys and Invinicble too.  

Hell amongst my friend group who even fell CBM fatigue like myself are still huge fans but I’ve tried to get into both Peacemaker and Moon Knight but haven’t been able to and I think I’m done with shows henceforth apart from the ones that interest me.

This doesn’t mean that all superhero movies will flop but I think some slight diminishing returns in the future. Slate wise MCU is fine, Thor and Wakanda will be bigger than Strange due to less baggage and probably more accessible to the GA. The Marvels and Guardians 3 will do the 400m/1b grosses, and Shang-Chi 2 should have a solid jump (albeit more TWS than MOM). Blade (which I suspect will be some form of team up) will do within the 200m-300m range and Quantumania should have a nice jump (275m-335m). But partially because of why Feige is pushing more crossovers for the MCU and most solo non introduced heroes to the plus is because I do think for CBMs more of a shift will be towards the event ones and the newly established will do a bit smaller (kind of like Pixar in the 2010s). 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

As I posted in weekday thread, strong monday drop(Dr Strange 2 had really strong one) means weaker friday increase. That is just plain math. I remember about 13 years ago people were super excited by Star Trek's 1st few weekdays and were predicting crazy numbers for 2nd weekend. but it had way weaker friday increase than norm. That was due to Monday drop being way better than norm. You cannot have one without another. Joker is another one i can think off. I remember @charlie Jatinder joking about 70m 2nd weekend after Presales looked really promising for 2nd friday. but it had soft friday increase as well. 

That said Dr Strange 2 will hit 400m. it will settle down after this weekend. Next weekend is also fairly weak. Plus summer is coming up and so June should help with strong weekdays. I am thinking 410m domestic and low 600's OS for 1B+ WW. Amazing performance for the sequel which to me had deceptive marketing(trailers made it sound like it was strongly tied to NWH). This movie has shown the brand value of MCU and great marketing from Disney to help with uber strong OW everywhere. 

I agree with everything in the top paragraph...and I was posting how families were rebelling on Disney fan boards after OW, so this was NOT gonna sell to families...

I disagree that it's a certainty for $400M DOM...Top Gun 2 might suck the air out of summer for this movie before we get dinos and toy story b/c it's a feel good, fun, and epic spectacular incoming...so when it comes to choosing, I think that takes the air out til the dinos slam Strange away...so, $400M DOM CAN happen, but it's not certain to happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Black Panther is one of the best MCU films. An Oscar nominated movie. So I will ignore what you said.

This is my last reply to you. Clearly just a DC troll who should be ignored.

Suicide squad was oscar nominated, it doesn't make it good does it now.

14 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

2024- deadpool3, Cap4, F4, WWH(probably)

2025- SC2, Eternals2, BW2, Mutants/Avengers5

2026-DS3, Thor5, BP3, Mutants/Avengers5

In that case, I think, depending on budget, Cap 4 and Eternals 2 are a mistake. I'll hold on those. I don't think either property is too hot right now. I could see a good Cap 4 doing maybe 250M DOM. And, Eternals, I mean, I don't know, maybe, maybe 200M DOM. For this though, they'll have repair or, more so, maximize their importance in other movies leading up to these sequels.

I don't know what WWH is...

They're doing another Widow too? Unless the budget's dropping, that's another they should maybe just jettison or move to Disney+. Or, maybe have something with Falcon, new Cap, Hawkeye, new Hawkeye girl, Pugh, Zemo all in the same movie to maximize people wanting to see it in the theater. The characters from those movies/series fit well together. The right filmmaker could make a super fun movie will all of those characters for sure.

7 hours ago, Eric Strange said:

Not gonna name names, but when the Love and Thunder trailer came out, a user who has a source in the industry said the film was having issues behind the scenes and that they were having some kinks in the editing process, mainly that the comedy wasn't landing at all. This is obviously fixable, since a good edit of a joke can go a long way, movies get cut again and again, and I don't subscribe to the "bad production = bad movie" mantra a lot of people, albeit trolls, follow. And you know, second-hand "I heard it from a guy" comments are flimsy. But I have thought about it quite a bit, so you never know. 🤷‍♂️

If Natalie Portman is responsible for the joke delivery, I can believe that...I can't see her in a comedic role, or even as the "straight man" in a role with the comedic buddy...she's so not that actor for me (maybe b/c of her previous dramatic roles that I really liked her in)...

So, it all depends who Thor has carry the humor in the movie...

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

In that case, I think, depending on budget, Cap 4 and Eternals 2 are a mistake. I'll hold on those. I don't think either property is too hot right now. I could see a good Cap 4 doing maybe 250M DOM. And, Eternals, I mean, I don't know, maybe, maybe 200M DOM. For this though, they'll have repair or, more so, maximize their importance in other movies leading up to these sequels.

I don't know what WWH is...

They're doing another Widow too? Unless the budget's dropping, that's another they should maybe just jettison or move to Disney+. Or, maybe have something with Falcon, new Cap, Hawkeye, new Hawkeye girl, Pugh, Zemo all in the same movie to maximize people wanting to see it in the theater. The characters from those movies/series fit well together. The right filmmaker could make a super fun movie will all of those characters for sure.

WWH is World War Hulk.

I can a Black Widow 2 hypothetically being a stealth Thunderbolts movie with Yelena and Kate doing espionage shit (and hopefully becoming a couple as those two were cute together).

• Like 3