titanic2187

Top Gun: Maverick | Oscar-wining Billionaire | $1.48bn without China!

https://deadline.com/2022/06/top-gun-maverick-milestones-global-international-box-office-1235038053/

Let’s first recall that TG:M is not yet out in Korea which is a huge Cruise market; it goes there June 23 after a visit from the team.

In currently released hubs, the UK has really lit the fires with a $4.3M Friday, which is up 4% from opening day last week. The cume there is $39.7M. This is a big holiday weekend for Britons amid the Platinum Jubilee, but folks are clearly looking for other celebratory experiences.

In the Commonwealth, Australia’s Friday was just 6% off the comparable day last session. The cume there is $17.1M. New Zealand, conversely, was up 6% and through Friday grossed $2.4M.

Here in France, Friday this week was down 52% after last week’s Ascension Day holiday record. The local cume is $16.7M — and everyone I run into is asking me about the movie and planning multiple viewings. 

Japan is the next best grosser at $16.6M through yesterday.

Notable jumps include Taiwan where a second Friday at $915K was double the opening. There’s likely a sense of pride adding to the momentum since the original Taiwanese flag on Maverick’s jacket appears, despite having been swapped out in early promotions. We’ve heard of cheers inside cinemas at the sight of the patches.

Hong Kong ($4.6M running cume) was also up 6% from last Friday while Thailand jumped 55% for a $2M running total.

In strong holds, the UAE has now grossed $3.7M while the total Middle East region is at $12.8M. Brazil, where Jurassic World Dominion has released early, saw a 25% decline for a $7.4M cume. In Italy, where the dinosaurs have also gone early, the TG:Mdrop was 19% for $6.5M through Friday. Mexicotook a bigger hit owing to JWD, dropping 47%, and cuming $6.4M through yesterday.

Other notable markets and cumes include Netherlands ($3.4M), Spain ($3.2M), Switzerland ($2.6M), Malaysia ($2.6M) and Singapore ($2M). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Seem like most of the countries will hit 2x legs by the end of 2nd Sunday. 

Japan will reach 3x by the end of the weekend, UK with 2.4-2.5x, and probably every Europe country will get 2x by the end of WE.

12 hours ago, RJ-195 said:

Japan will reach 3x by the end of the weekend, UK with 2.4-2.5x, and probably every Europe country will get 2x by the end of WE.

Unfortunately Italy won't join the list. Tepid Saturday bump from Friday (Friday is the day between holiday and so the muted weekend bump).

Saturday at  €482.6k, down 41% from last Saturday (Blame JWD) for a likely total of $7.6m by Sunday.  

16 hours ago, RJ-195 said:

Are you taking true weekend or including earlier start days / previews?

Apart from that, if you ignore Wednesday previews in Germany FB3 was at 1.98 after the second weekend, TG-2 will probably be at around 2.05x.

If you include Previews it changes to 1.78x for TG-2 and 1.87x for FB3

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Are you taking true weekend or including earlier start days / previews?

Apart from that, if you ignore Wednesday previews in Germany FB3 was at 1.98 after the second weekend, TG-2 will probably be at around 2.05x.

If you include Previews it changes to 1.78x for TG-2 and 1.87x for FB3

Yes, seems like it won't reach 2x multiplier this week. Same like it in Italy, i'm expecting better WE like in 25% or better drop. UK already reach it and France too probably. Probably more like 50%-75% will reach it.

Only 5% drop so far in Japan. If that holds probably sub 15% drop is possible if it has same atp like last WE. Total will reach 22m.

So after weekend probably

UK $48m

Japan $22m

Australia $22m

France $21m

Germany $12.5m

Italy $8m

Spain $4m

Mexico $7m

Brazil $8.5m

Edited by RJ-195
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't think the overseas hold is as strong as Joker. Whether if this passed $1bn, it is up to domestic. 

At least in UK, Australia and Japan are as good or better. SK probably will be better too. Taiwan and Hongkong also i'm sure with TG2.

Edited by RJ-195
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't think the overseas hold is as strong as Joker. Whether if this passed $1bn, it is up to domestic. 

1B is almost locked at this point. Domestic is pointing towards 550m+. I dont see any issue with OS hitting 450m. It still has Korea left to open and korea is a strong Cruise market. Even Edge of Tomorrow sold more than 5m admits. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

1B is almost locked at this point. Domestic is pointing towards 550m+. I dont see any issue with OS hitting 450m. It still has Korea left to open and korea is a strong Cruise market. Even Edge of Tomorrow sold more than 5m admits. 

Also, it held well against JWD in Italy and Brazil. Even it dropped 47% in Mexico. I hope a sub-50% will occur in its third weekend. 

1 minute ago, LegendaryBen said:

Also, it held well against JWD in Italy and Brazil. Even it dropped 47% in Mexico. I hope a sub-50% will occur in its third weekend. 

Markets like Germany, UK, France, Japan, Australia etc can handle multiple movies without issues. I am expecting way stronger than sub 50% hold next weekend. TGM has relatively under performed(for its OS gross) in latin america. but that is not a surprise.