Eric Burnett

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Tell that to Up and Inside Out 

this is basically a rom com unlike those two ! nd most of the criticism is for looking like zootopia nd not taking risk unlike those 2 which were so mature for animations at that time ! i believe this would go up for  mid 60's minimum ! Cannes critics usually looks for something different nd risky movies this was the same criticism towards indy 5 too ! i will wait for normal press screenings to judge these two movies

4 hours ago, AJG said:

Bad Guys cost $75m. Opened to $24m, and went on to profit. Comcast saw the future and budgeted for it.

This thing cost $200m. How?

1.pixar movies are technically way more advanced than dreamworks

2. high paid jobs 

3. high quality 

9 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

I was so hoping this movie would’ve been a return to form for Pixar. 

I mean, they dropped 3 insanely well received original movies in the past 2 years … they’re just unlucky that they’re all ended up as streaming movies 

20 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Arguably Luca should have gone as well but I get the pandemic was still in full force then (and Soul obviously was in an even worse position) so I won't really hold that against them.

There was zero incentive for them not to go Premier Access with Luca, yet they did the dumbest possible thing they could've done. The only thing they did worse was repeating that mistake with Turning Red.

Edited by cookie

9 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, they dropped 3 insanely well received original movies in the past 2 years … they’re just unlucky that they’re all ended up as streaming movies 

I was telling my kid...there was no reason any of them had to be dropped, but Disney was all in on D+ growth...which did work in part.  They just didn't realize how much that growth would cost them.

There was no timing component to Soul (which I think was the best of their straight to D+ releases).  There was no timing component to Luca.  There was no timing component to Turning Red. 

Universal held Minions 2 for 2+ years to huge theatrical gains, but lesser gains to their Peacock service.

Paramount held Top Gun Maverick for 2+ years for huge theatrical gains, but lesser gains to their Paramount Plus service.

Streamers had choices.  We're seeing Disney's may end up not being the best ones, since they relegated their best timeless material to streaming.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

There was zero incentive for them not to go Premier Access with Luca, yet they did the dumbest possible thing they could've done in that situation. The only thing they did worse was repeating that mistake with Turning Red.

I actually forgot Premier Access was a thing, jesus. Yeah, that was a dumb decision on their part.

And they backtracked on Turning Red being theatrical so last minute too. I remember when trailers were initially playing in theaters for it, the decision reeked of Disney panicking in the wake of Encanto underperforming in theaters and then seeing those large Disney+ numbers.

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Why are Disney animated movies so expensive compared to the animated movies from other studios anyway? Even Dreamworks seems to have been keeping their budgets under control lately. 

The hyperrealistic animation that Pixar is known for is gettting harder and harder to sustain compared to stylised animation of other studios...... those elemental effects in this movie obviously took a TON of work to make. I think there needs to be a hard conversation in Pixar as to the direction they want to go with the studio cause the current direction is unsustainable.

The unfortunate thing is that old school 2D animation was getting increasingly unsustainable for Disney during Pixar's early days and in the end everyone was asking why bother with 2D when you can do more at a lower cost with 3D. Nowadays though that $105 million spent on The Princess and The Frog is like a bargain compared to modern day Pixar films. $271 million which the film made is also probably going to be way more than what Elemental will be making.

Edited by scytheavatar

Well Cannes has been an absolute nightmare for Disney.

Overall Disney animation has not been great since covid , Disney plus has affected their box office returns. Putting turning red on Disney + was plain dumb , it would have been nice counter programming alongside the batman.

Putting that aside, also feels there is an issue with the creative team . Pixar hasn't been great since the start of covid

Onward - meh

Luca.   - Fairly good

Turning red - pretty good but not yet quite  there in terms of great

Light-year - Ok. but did this really need to be made.

Don't like some decisions made and man announcements like toystory 5 worry me .

Uber bomb probably coming for elemental.

1 hour ago, AN9815 said:

Damn, some of you are really desperate for this movie to fail. Unfortunately it is going to but damn you guys are desperate, who hurt you?

Movies like this failing is honestly great news cause we should not be rewarding a Zootopia ripoff. If this movie ends up being a big hit it will just encourage Pixar and Disney to be derivative and unoriginal rather than take risks in their storytelling.

I don't see Elemental being the final nail for the coffin for Pixar but I do wonder if they'll have to work within stricter budgets, cutting it to Illumination or SPA levels is impossible without closing down Emeryville which I suspect would receive huge backlash within both the US and the animation industry. 

• Like 1