Eric Burnett

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The movie just scored close to (and perhaps when actuals come in, the actual) Memorial Day record with an A+ CinemaScore and they want to get it on streaming sooner?

Paapabutterfly Natalie Portman GIF - Paapabutterfly Natalie Portman Natalie GIFs

having to make 10+ accounts and pay subscriptions to get access to all the online television and film content is such a pain.

Might just go off the grid

2 hours ago, Brandon Gray said:

If Top Gun clears 153 (or 140 without previews), then it claims the Memorial $ record... But it does matter to have an accurate record. We need to sort this out: If newer movies get to include previews, then older movies do as well... My preference has always been to keep previews out of the weekend gross. In other words, I want previews excluded from the newer movies.

By the way, talking Top Gun now on Clubhouse:

https://www.clubhouse.com/room/mZqove2k?utm_medium=ch_room_merc&utm_campaign=s3vlLDZN_FfUEl3Lyb1m-g-213752

Can you reflect the previews on your site somewhere to clear some of this up?   Likr vsn you add a True 4 day column?

Edited by Borf the Borf

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If Bullet Train is a well-liked hit this August, I'm almost certain that a Speed sequel with Reeves/Bullock is going to be announced with David Leitch as the director. 

I bet Disney would be interested in a Speed sequel with Reeves and Bullock especially since they can easily ignore Speed 2 although in terms of transport, I'm a bit stuck on what you could do as a train with a bomb has been done many times in movies.

5 hours ago, Eric Belcher said:

I'm confused how people here are like "Disney is petty lol lol lol" because like...Pirates 3 is the bigger opening. That's a fact. That film's Thursday gross totally counts for the opening much like how Top Gun's Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday count. Disney isn't trying to brag, they're giving a totally valid correction that a lot of people neglect and ignore.

it does not matter. Norm back then was to count thursday gross separately and now the norm is to count million days of previews as part of OW. So Top Gun gets the record :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If Top Gun clears 153 (or 140 without previews), then it claims the Memorial $ record... But it does matter to have an accurate record. We need to sort this out: If newer movies get to include previews, then older movies do as well... My preference has always been to keep previews out of the weekend gross. In other words, I want previews excluded from the newer movies.

https://www.clubhouse.com/room/mZqove2k?utm_medium=ch_room_merc&utm_campaign=s3vlLDZN_FfUEl3Lyb1m-g-213752

WOW Brandon is here. Welcome. Still miss the heydeys of BOM reporting from you. The Amazon version of BOM is not comparable. 

• Like 2

Any idea of Neon's release plans for Crimes of the Future next weekend? It's already booked at a couple chain theaters near me (with Thursday previews no less) which makes me think it'll be in a somewhat wide release. Which would be an interesting choice.

2 hours ago, Wondy said:

To be fair, 120 days is kind of insane. I could seem them pushing for at least getting it down to 90. 

Hell no it isn't insane.  It will do a ton of business.  

The window should match the movie and performance with no less than a 45 day.  If the movie is like NWH or TG2, then leave it theatrical for 120 days.  If it bombs or underperforms like The Northman, then 45 days is fine.  

What in the fuck is the rush to get these things on streaming where they will literally live forever.  Take you time and ride out all 3 viable revenue streams to their maximum.  1) Theatrical 2) PVOD 3) "Free" streaming

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

If they really want to do a ton of business at the box office, you have a 30 day theatrical window and then no streaming or VOD for a year. Force em' to get in there quick or lose it.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Edited by T-ReXXR
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

So it now as though Bob's Burgers is set to reach the $15M mark on its domestic opening weekend. If its budget is similar to that of Beavis and Butt-Head Do America or South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (that is, roughly $20M), then that actually isn't too bad an opening. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

30 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

@keysersoze123 @charlie Jatinder @EmpireCity I feel optimistic that its Sunday's actuals will exceed the estimates. I'm crossing my fingers for a $35M+ Sunday.

My hope is that the Sunday drop is in the single digits but specifically less than 7.5% that way we can have over 125M 3-day and be nice and round of a number.

• Like 2

Please add this , column

hkZ1tSq.png

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, T-ReXXR said:

If they really want to do a ton of business at the box office, you have a 30 day theatrical window and then no streaming or VOD for a year. Force em' to get in there quick or lose it.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Are your posts bigger than everyone else’s or is it my phone? 

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

People need to move away from their straightforward mindset that streaming impact would only kick in once the movie drop digital. You cannot assume the streaming has no impact to box office, simply because the movie didn't drop much on the week when it hit digital. The negative effect could have kick in during opening weekend and the subsequent weeks.   

Let's look at Batman, a movie that only drop 50% in the 2nd weekend despite fanrush but somehow have no other weekend with below 40% drop. Are you kidding me?? Even V2, Eternals and Morbius that basically collapsed in 2nd weekend have some stabilization afterward to allow some of their weekend drop to less than 40%.    

Great points. We saw the signs in The Batman run... As general audiences get hip to these movies being basically free 45 days later, how can that not have a deleterious effect during the actual 45-day theatrical windows?

Edited by Brandon Gray
  • Like 5