The Wild Eric

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

Given that TG2 is skewing older and therefore fills shows earlier rather than later, expecting it to hold more like a family movie Sun to Mon: $29M+, $30 possible, and even higher if it does get a military themed bump 

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

It's super early, but Monday might end up being the most interesting day so far.  Going to hold off with anything, will post in a few hours so I can double check what I am seeing.  

So hopefully the 5th best Monday ever, would need 32.1m to be above the 2nd Monday of Rouge One. I think 4th is a step too much, would need 36.9m to be above Endgames respective Monday.

(Go big or go home🙂 - it's memorial day with a Military themed movie).

Edited by Taruseth

3 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I disagree here. Back in 2015, even days before JW opened ... there was practically no "hype". If you go back to those threads, you would see that the most optimistic predictions for it where in the 120M OW region except for the lunatic @excel1.

Thats why its opening was so suprising and epic because nobody saw it coming. I would honestly say the hype for Dominion is a lot bigger right now (atleast online) than it ever was for JW. Ofc that doesnt have to mean that it will also approach 200M OW even though i believe in divine justice and thus in 210M+ OW, but yeah, i see a lot more hype among fans for it than for either JW or FK back in 2015/18.

Prehistoric Planet killed any interest I had in JW3. Once you see Dinos as they’re meant to be, the JW trash effects will never live up to them.

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Prehistoric Planet killed any interest I had in JW3. Once you see Dinos as they’re meant to be, the JW trash effects will never live up to them.

No problem, i think i myself will be more than enough to compensate box-office-wise for you not seeing it :sparta:

Also, as good as Prehistoric Planet is, it will be outdated in 10 years already, as happens with every documentary about prehistoric life. So "Dinos as theyre meant to be" is actually an unreachable target.

2 hours ago, DAR said:

In no order

A Few Good Men

Top Gun 

Born on the Fourth of July

Edge of Tomorrow 

Mission Impossible Fallout

This is a very good list...I might trade Mission Impossible 1 for Fallout (I'm a sucker for that movie) and Jerry Maguire and Tropic Thunder need to make an appearance (maybe for Born on the Fourth of July)...but A Few Good Men is #1...

20 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

No problem, i think i myself will be more than enough to compensate box-office-wise for you not seeing it :sparta:

Also, as good as Prehistoric Planet is, it will be outdated in 10 years already, as happens with every documentary about prehistoric life. So "Dinos as theyre meant to be" is actually an unreachable target.

I dunno, Walking With Dinosaurs still slaps and anyone who disagrees can fight me

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

What kind of 2nd weekend do you guys see? I'm thinking $55m

over $60 million. The word of mouth and repeat business should give it a very strong hold. Plus it’s got all those PLF’s to itself for one more weekend. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I dunno, Walking With Dinosaurs still slaps and anyone who disagrees can fight me

It absolutely slaps. Probably my favourite ever documenatary right along Walking with Beasts.

Its also outdated in large parts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

over $60 million. The word of mouth and repeat business should give it a very strong hold. Plus it’s got all those PLF’s to itself for one more weekend. 

$62.5m is my prediction. There is literally no major releases this weekend like the previous years (2021: The Conjuring 3, Spirit: Untamed, 2019: Godzilla: King of Monsters, Rocketman, Ma).

• Like 1

Yeah cant see anything under 60M for the 2nd weekend as well. Its got all its PLFs, its got an A+ CinemaScore, WOM is amazing. It has no reason to suffer a big drop.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

What kind of 2nd weekend do you guys see? I'm thinking $55m

I was on record for $60M+ 2nd weekend before the Sun estimate came up, even more so now. Can’t really overstate how strong the PLF demand is for TG2, and the limited supply is continually pushing business forward, including into next weekend, along with exceptional WOM which will be expanding the audience 

Next Sat is likely hitting $25M+

• Like 2