Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Do you have one piece of pre-release indisputable evidence that points to this, or is this just your perception? It is not like there has been TOP GUN merchandise on shelves or rereleases occurring every few years. 

You think it is my perception that Top Gun was huge with people currently in their late 30's and 40's?  Are you serious?  

Listen, you posted a really poor assumtion that Top Gun wasn't relevant to those under 55.  It's a TERRIBELE and flat out wrong take, and instead of doubling down, just admit it was bad and move on.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Congrats to TGM Over MOM Club!This will be legs monster on top of monster OW. :bravo:

It is incredible to see TGM only did about half of DS2’s preview excluding EA but widely considered to beat DS2 in total, this is what we call the power of leg which is ironic since Tom cruise is only 1.7m or 5 foot 7 in height. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

80s are back, time for Goonies II and Gremlins III

watched Goonies for the first time a couple years ago and it was one of the most annoying movies ever. Prime example of a film you have to watch as a kid first 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You keep bringing up 25 and 20 year olds.  Nobody is arguing that.  You said it was barely relevant to anyone under 55 years old, and that is just flat out wrong.  

It isn't agree to disagree, it is just wrong.  Top Gun is highly relevant to people in their late 30's and especially their 40's.  

This older Millennial approves of this message.

• Like 4

If you had a VCR, which nearly everyone did, Top Gun was a life changing moment when you could actually buy a movie instead of renting it.  It changed the game forever.  

Kids for the next 10 years would spend their time wearing that cassette out.  

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You think it is my perception that Top Gun was huge with people currently in their late 30's and 40's?  Are you serious?  

Listen, you posted a really poor assumtion that Top Gun wasn't relevant to those under 55.  It's a TERRIBELE and flat out wrong take, and instead of doubling down, just admit it was bad and move on.  

Asking for supporting evidence is not "doubling down", and you just entirely avoided the question. Is there anything from recent years that says Top Gun is still relevant with that age group?

And I am not asking for reasons from the 1980s, where it left a massive pop culture footprint. Testimonials from this forum don't count either. What things from 2019, 2022, 2021, 2022...what makes you think that age group is still into the film? I assume there is some reason that you feel this way...

Edited by excel1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Asking for supporting evidence is not "doubling down", and you just entirely avoided the question. Is there anything from recent years that says Top Gun is still relevant with that age group? From 2019, 2022, 2021, 2022...what makes you think that age group is still into the film? I assume there is some reason that you feel this way...

Dear lord man.  I answered.  

Also, the fact that they made a sequal and it is about to open to like $160m+ is also rock hard evidence.  

Lol.  

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Asking for supporting evidence is not "doubling down", and you just entirely avoided the question. Is there anything from recent years that says Top Gun is still relevant with that age group? From 2019, 2022, 2021, 2022...what makes you think that age group is still into the film? I assume there is some reason that you feel this way...

This is a tough ask, because it's not like there's a ton of controlled academic study into the relevance of most movies with a certain age cohort.

That said, I'm on the older end of the Millennial generation (35+), and Top Gun is absolutely iconic for me and my friends. Everyone in high school had seen it.

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Don't know why ya'll celebrating.

We know which studio gets the summer crown.

Hint: It starts with a D and rhymes with whimsy. 

:Venom:

It would be funny if they didn't...or didn't have either of the top 2 movies - although $400M is a high bar for 2 movies to beat...

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Dear lord man.  I answered.  

Also, the fact that they made a sequal and it is about to open to like $160m+ is also rock hard evidence.  

Lol.  

Lol, what? You 100% did not answer. You posted links from the 1980s pointing to its popularity back then, which nobody disputes. If you don't have anything concrete to point to demonstrating the popularity of Top Gun with that age group from recent years, i.e. its popularity on streaming services or relevance of merchandise, music, etc - then you are basing your feelings on its staying power and relevance strictly it off of your perception, which is fine btw.  

Agin, what pre-release reasoning exists to make one think Top Gun in 2022 is any more popular today than Ghostbusters, E.T. or Back to the Future? Also, the majority of that $160m is coming from the same younger crowd we agree doesn't give af about the previous top gun.

5 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

This is a tough ask, because it's not like there's a ton of controlled academic study into the relevance of most movies with a certain age cohort.

The point is that this isn't like Star Wars or even INDIANA JONES which has had merchandise on shelves for decades. It's like not this film is widely viewed on streaming services, etc. A perfect comparison for TOP GUN would be GHOSTBUSTERS, and we know that brand relaunch worked out.

Edited by excel1

This is kinda a dumb argument, most people under 55 at the very least know what Top Gun is.  Combine that with the real buzzy reviews in addition to Tom Cruise firmly establishing himself as Hollywood's last real movie star over the past decade, people are gonna go see it.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Top Gun in 2022 is any more popular today than Ghostbusters

I mean it’s OW alone is doing more than either Afterlife or 2016. Ghostbusters if anything has a loud fanbase but is far less relevant.

• Like 1