EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel vs Jurassic Park vs Avatar

Out of these giants who will win the year?

A Top Gun sequel, lol.

how much would Avatar 2 need to make to win the year...

Excluding 2020 for obvious reasons (Bad Boys 3), last time a non-Disney movie was #1 domestic of the year was...

American Sniper in 2014

Ironically lol.

2021: No Way Home

2019: Endgame

2018: Black Panther

2017: Last Jedi

2016: Rogue One

2015: Force Awakens

Even if Top Gun doesn't win, the fact we're having this discussion is incredible.

Also funny to think pre 2014, Disney didn't reign as consistently (naturally)

2013: Hunger Games 2

2012: Avengers

2011: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows 2

2010: Toy Story 3

2009: Avatar (Disney now but Fox wasn't then)

2008: Dark Knight

2007: Spider-Man 3

Last time Paramount won the year?  1997 with Titanic!

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Crazy numbers for TGM. We've always done yearly crown by total gross, so Avatar wouldn't be limited by the date in that sense (although I guess it's still a question if that ends up mattering in the end).

I'm excited that the long debate about whether Avatar has had a cultural impact will finally be decided this year, and with Top Gun as a great comparison point.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Is there a way for BoxOfficeMojo's old format to return?

I mean someone can design a website with same format? Data can be scrapped and filled. Its actually not too hard and quite doable.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

American Sniper: 41st place 3day on a holiday 4day, 8th place 2nd wknd

TGM: 39th place 3day on a holiday 4day, 8th-10th place 2nd wknd

Sniper fell to 20th in 3rd wknd BUT — superbowl deflation. Adjusting for that I think ~8th 3rd wknd as well, is 54M nowadays. Seems a little too high given competition though. I’ll say:

48M  (11th)

32M (7th, +4M from Father’s Day)

17M (21st)

• Like 1

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

600M+ here we come. Top Gun will be hit hard next weekend but only because of the PLF loss. With THIS kind of WOM though, it will quickly recover.

This is the most insane run so far since probably the first Jurassic World.

49 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean someone can design a website with same format? Data can be scrapped and filled. Its actually not too hard and quite doable.

reddit people already tried at the time, but it's dead now, probably took more effort than anticipated. There's an entire sub for that over there with like a thousand people but yeah.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheBOMRebuild

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

600M+ here we come. Top Gun will be hit hard next weekend but only because of the PLF loss. With THIS kind of WOM though, it will quickly recover.

This is the most insane run so far since probably the first Jurassic World.

There was a lil indie flick in that dec which might also be a contender 😛 

4 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

There was a lil indie flick in that dec which might also be a contender 😛 

TFA wasnt nearly as impressive as JW was or as Top Gun is right now imo. Everyone knew TFA would be massive, so its epic run was not nearly as surprising as JW's breakout or Top Guns imo. Im not talking about raw numbers, more like the surprise factor.

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Astonishing for Top Gun, this is just an insane performance, and has got me absolutely hooked on following box office again. 

This. It's pretty boring when you exect that brand that always wins will win again and then this happens. :bravo:

6 hours ago, SupermanLego said:

What Numbers are DS2 looking for the weekend ? Will it hit 390 ?

I don't think so. It was at 379.5 going into the weekend and I assume it'll do something like 7.5 to 9 over the weekend. It would've needed 10.5 to hit 390 and seems extremely unlikely. I'd say 400+ is still very likely unless it completely falls off a cliff. I expect a late boost when Lightyear comes out about a week before it hits Disney+ so I bet Disney gets it there if it still needs that late boost to get there.