EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

So that's about a 25% drop from true OD Friday and slightly more than 50% drop  if you consider previews. From an inflated holiday weekend at that. I thought $500M was possible after last Friday and now I'm thinking $600M may be possible after this Friday. Of course the PLF loss next weekend may require us all to reign in expectations.

12 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

In all seriousness, it's crazy he hasn't blown up yet. Everybody Wants Some was a breakout turn in a Linklater movie. He appeared in Hidden Figures which was an Oscar hit and grossed over 100m. His Netflix romcom with Zoey Deutch was well-received. He was hired to write Captain Planet, but I guess this movie being delayed took a few years off his stardom. Either way, I'll be shocked if he doesn't get a huge job by the end of the year

JW Dominion should have adapted his Camp

Cretaceous character into live action 

Edited by John Marston

How come the drops for everything not Top Gun are so poor? We're coming off of a holiday, yes, but the calendar is virtually empty of anything that would've taken their screens.

Gotta say I'm surprised but not surprised it's doing these numbers. The repeat viewing value of this is incredible. I dont think there has ever been a movie that I instantly want to go back in to watch it again after the showing ended. I have watched it in IMAX twice already, and I bet you not I am coming back for more, and I'm an Asian Gen Z, no idea what Top Gun was before. Why is it so good?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MattW said:

It's the american sniper of 2022. I'm still unsure if AS's 2nd weekend wide was more of a surprise than its first. At the time it was #9 all time for 2nd weekends (tho it appears mojo doesn't count it since it was in limited release for three weeks before).

The first (expansion) weekend was the bigger surprise by far, and the lack of screens/shows allocated for it pushed a lot of demand into the second weekend, producing the strong hold (see also Avengers week 2, for example 

Nowadays, new releases - even the “surprises” - are given a good allotment of shows for OW (over-screened if you ask me …), so there’s less chance for unmet demand to roll over in subsequent weeks. TG2 is an exception there, in that the PLF draw is extremely strong, and capacity is limited, so we’re seeing the same effect of cascading demand pushing up numbers past the first weekend/week 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cookie said:

How come the drops for everything not Top Gun are so poor? We're coming off of a holiday, yes, but the calendar is virtually empty of anything that would've taken their screens.

why watch other movie when top gun movie do trick

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cookie said:

You know, I think I know what's stealing their audiences.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cookie said:

What else is even out? Crimes of Future is for niche audiences and isn't super wide (900 theaters or soon). Dr. Strange is one of the most poorly received MCU films and has already made over 80% of its gross. Bob's Burgers is an adaptation of a TV show so limited audience. Downton Abbey is another adaptation of a TV show and the demographic is torn between seeing Top Gun. 

Why see these when you can see the raved Tom Cruise film that everyone's talking about?

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

20 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Gotta say I'm surprised but not surprised it's doing these numbers. The repeat viewing value of this is incredible. I dont think there has ever been a movie that I instantly want to go back in to watch it again after the showing ended. I have watched it in IMAX twice already, and I bet you not I am coming back for more, and I'm an Asian Gen Z, no idea what Top Gun was before. Why is it so good?

I watched it 3 times last week,

once each in IMAX, standard and Dolby.  

Probably will watch it again in Dolby before JP takes all the screens. 

47 minutes ago, cookie said:

Because they're not Top Gun.  

And they'll all be on streaming in the near future.  Top Gun hopefully...won't be.  

Plus, there are fools like me who still haven't seen this thing, yet, and probably won't until later next week.  So prepare for another great week and weekend, folks! 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

i really like it that an non super-hero movie is getting this result, because proves cinema is not only for under 18 people. 
I also love that is not a super front loaded one like Avengers, and we are having this after first weekend amazing days, it reminds me the old scool days with long runs and great holds, for me much more exciting than the super first weekend model and short run model.

And it´s also great that is doing a movie which is a sequel from 36 years difference from the first, i really love the success of TGM for all these reasons, i´m enjoyng it a lot!!!
I hope we can have more weeks of exciting numbers!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1