Eric Prime

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

11 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

netflix movies aren't real!

you can’t convince me an ai didn’t come up with these movies:
the kissing booth 3

the princess switch: switched again

The perfect date

love guaranteed

murder mystery

red notice

senior year

mrs serial killer

the paramedic

a classic horror story

Dominion pretty much matching the opening for Fallen Kingdom despite the latter being a hardly beloved movie, the reviews for this one being worse, and Top Gun exploding just two weeks ago as a nostalgia powered sequel is actually really good and confirms that Universal has a consistently powerful franchise on their hands.

Top Gun's hold coming off of last weekend's jaw-dropping dip is also looking pretty great too given the arrival of Jurassic World and the fact it lost all its IMAX/PLF screens (where it had been a monster performer). Should have another strong hold next weekend especially with Father's Day Sunday, even with the arrival of another potential $100M+ opener sure to further decrease its auditorium space.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, Mr Terrific said:

It’s kinda like Critic SPF. 

Any movie box office is subject to its quality, but what movies will have virtually no effect from critics?

Its just not a real metric we could actually go by, its more pure speculation how much negative/positive reviews actually affect a movies gross. Nobody really knows the answer to that but imo, we can atleast say that some movies benefit from very positive reviews (the ones for Top Gun certainly helped its hype), while we can now say with Dominion that it doesnt seem like the negative reviews have had a real impact so far.

Actually just how many American are observing Juneteenth? Do we expect a federal holiday as big as the rest, especially when this holiday coinciding with Father's day? I know President Day isn't as big as the others.  

• Like 2

Final summer predictions

TGM -610M

TL&T -485M

DS2.  - 412M

JWD. - 380-400M

LIGHT-YEAR - 350M

MINIONS.     - 255M

NOPE.           -170-180M

ELVIS.           - 150-175M

B.TRAIN.      - 125M

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dominion pretty much matching the opening for Fallen Kingdom despite the latter being a hardly beloved movie, the reviews for this one being worse, and Top Gun exploding just two weeks ago as a nostalgia powered sequel is actually really good and confirms that Universal has a consistently powerful franchise on their hands.

Top Gun's hold coming off of last weekend's jaw-dropping dip is also looking pretty great too given the arrival of Jurassic World and the fact it lost all its IMAX/PLF screens (where it had been a monster performer). Should have another strong hold next weekend especially with Father's Day Sunday, even with the arrival of another potential $100M+ opener sure to further decrease its auditorium space.

Thinking around 90M  for lightyear.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

39 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually just how many American are observing Juneteenth? Do we expect a federal holiday as big as the rest, especially when this holiday coinciding with Father's day? I know President Day isn't as big as the others.  

I actually forgot about that. It's overwhelmingly been embraced by US corporations as a holiday as of this year. Some embraced as early as last year but now it's much, much more. The company I work for swapped out Indigenous People's Day for in 2022 work holidays. Should get both but that's what they did. A ton of US moviegoers will be off on Monday 6/20 because Juneteenth falls on a Sunday this year. That'll inflate everything but especially TGM. It'll inflate the OW DOM for Lightyear for certain too. 

I wonder if that weekend next summer with Juneteenth falling on a Monday will be extra coveted because of this as well and going forward. It's not Memorial Day or the 4th of July but it's definitely, especially when falling on a Sunday (because Monday will be day corporations observer the holiday like this year) or Monday like this year and next year become a huge box office boosting summer holiday.

With that, TGM will absolutely slay next weekend. JWFK should have a slight softer weekend to weekend drop too. And, Lightyear will absolutely have an inflated 3 day OW DOM and a pretty impressive 4 day holiday opening too.

My feeling is that, when falling on Friday through Saturday, Juneteenth will act kind of like President's Day does now for box office weekends. Excited to see how the next turns out and what kind of impact it has on the numbers next Sunday and Monday.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Final summer predictions

TGM -610M

TL&T -485M

DS2.  - 412M

JWD. - 380-400M

LIGHT-YEAR - 350M

MINIONS.     - 255M

NOPE.           -170-180M

ELVIS.           - 150-175M

B.TRAIN.      - 125M

i mean, if all those pan out that would be a magnificent summer. Unimaginable a year ago. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I understand the reasoning... So, with this, would consider Transformers 2 and 3 not quite critic proof because with a better reception Revenge of the Fallen could've done 500M+ DOM and Dark of the Moon could've done 450M+ DOM? Or, is there a certain cutoff DOM where it doesn't matter and it's critic proof even if it left maybe close to 100M on the table in each case?

I don’t know whether rotf or dotm would have done all that much more with 90% on RT or whatever. But it seems to me that thinking the answer is “yes” means thinking hey weren’t critic proof, just big enough potential to withstand the hit.