Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

3 minutes ago, ChD said:

You think so? I'd give this the slight edge even though The Grey had me emotionally invested and this had me not.

This is a cool technical exercise. The only thing it has over THE GREY is the impressive scale of the production, in every other regard Carnahan's movie trounces this.

• Like 2

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

This is a cool technical exercise. The only thing it has over THE GREY is the impressive scale of the production, in every other regard Carnahan's movie trounces this.

Interesting. Do you believe DiCaprio's performance is worthy of the Oscar? Also, do you believe this movie's buzz is there because of the recent Oscar win for Inaritu and the fact that it has DiCaprio as the lead? Or do you just believe The Grey was massively underrated when it comes to Oscars and this is where it's supposed to be?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChD said:

Interesting. Do you believe DiCaprio's performance is worthy of the Oscar? Also, do you believe this movie's buzz is there because of the recent Oscar win for Inaritu and the fact that it has DiCaprio as the lead? Or do you just believe The Grey was massively underrated when it comes to Oscars and this is where it's supposed to be?

No, yes (somewhat), and yes. I mean, hats off to DiCaprio for the effort he put in: it's clear he's really invested in this and he's acting HARD. And it's a very demanding, physical performance. On the other hand, it's really one-note and he never really felt like a character to me. It was just LOOK AT ME ACTING!™, cranked up to 11. Compare that to Hardy, who felt very believable (as hammy and mumbly as he got). I'm not much of a fan of Inarritu in general; he's always felt like someone who's basically a first-year philosophy student at college and who's convinced he has Deep Things to say about humanity. But when I ignored the pretentiousness and just watched it as a straight-up revenge movie, I enjoyed it.

THE GREY, on the other hand, had living, breathing people that I was invested in and cared about, and moved me to tears on multiple occasions. Without emphasizing it, Carnahan managed to say more about confronting death, living life, and what it means to be human than anything Inarritu does here... although he's certainly trying hard.

I respect the hell out of the effort to make a movie like this; I'm glad Fox backed Inarritu and let him strive for something great, I'm happy it was made... I just don't think it amounts to much, impressive technical achievements aside.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

:lol:

He's so far up his own ass he'd need a search party to help find his way out.  

• Like 8