EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

3 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Even if this was hypothetically true (I'm not sure and am not in the US) Turning Red I think would simply have done better due to much stronger word of mouth, positive vibes and a lot of identification with the characters and themes. And also, as intangible as it is, that it is simply a considerably better film in use about every way.

I think I agree. Even if 10% or 15% of people were offended, it would find an audience.

28 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

As for the movie, the first third is excellent. Truly great stuff that drew on some terrific scenes from another Pixar movie from years back and non-Disney movie from a few years back as well. 

oh so thats why they did that at cinemacon

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

I personally really liked the twist and thought it made sense.

We will need to agree to disagree on that. Not even the head of Pixar could convince me that was the correct decision to make. It made no sense in the context of the story, especially when you start asking how and why questions related to it. It was a total misfire that is completely uncharacteristic for any Disney film.

Just now, ZurgXXR said:

$56M

$54M

$42M

I think that TG2 could really increase tomorrow like crazy and again on Sunday.  Looking at the sales for those days already shows that TG2 is already selling out a ton of shows as of this afternoon.  

• Like 11

1 minute ago, superduperm said:

A sub-15% drop seems impossible… I’ll believe it when I see it but wow

I usually would think so as well, but I looked at tickets for Saturday and Sunday at a number of theaters and there was nothing but front row seats left even at 9am in the morning all the way through the rest of the day on Saturday and through the prime shows on Sunday.  

I've also noticed a few theaters took away Lightyear shows that hadn't sold any tickets yet and added in more TG2.  

• Like 1
  • Astonished 4

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So are Disney movies dead

No.  In fact, there is one in the Top 5 that just crossed $400m domestic and another coming in a few weeks that might open to $200m.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

See more like 53 for LY, 56 for JWD

Such a disappointing number for LY. I need some good numbers in the upcoming weeks to get over this....

Elvis - $40M+ 

Black Phone - $20M+ 

Rise of Gru - $60M+
Thor L&T - $180M+ 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, superduperm said:

A sub-15% drop seems impossible… I’ll believe it when I see it but wow

Consider that it's second weekend drop, when you take out previews, was a hair over 16%, and that's from a first weekend that was a holiday weekend, with a flat Sunday. It's third weekend dropped largely due to the loss of premium screens. This weekend there will be no loss of premium screens (maybe even picking up a few?), last week wasn't a holiday, and this weekend has both Juneteenth and Father's Day. Sub-15% drop isn't that outrageous.