EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's definitely a Kosinski vs Cruise and Mcquarrie debate to be had about who is the actual driving creative force behind Top Gun 2

That audience score. 

I’ll say it again: I don’t think Top Gun Maverick’s success is to do with any single person or element in particular. It’s a lightning in a bottle/perfect storm type event. As most audience/box office phenomenons are. 

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Honestly I'd go with direct to streaming too with that law, that's just ridiculous in today's moviegoing environment.

It’s actually worse than that. So not only do Streaming service must wait 17 months but once they get the movies they only have them for 5 months, after which they must remove them so that the movies can be broadcast on TV aka TF1 their National tv channel.

it’s beyond ridiculous even the actual exhibitors don’t support this. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Cruise and co. had nothing to do with Only the Brave, which is one of the most underrated movies of the 2010s (got good reviews but hardly anyone saw it). One of OtB's writers is one of the writers of TGM as well, so I'd wager that Kosinski and co. had a lot to do with TGM's quality, along with the Cruise/McQuarrie combo.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That audience score. 

I’ll say it again: I don’t think Top Gun Maverick’s success is to do with any single person or element in particular. It’s a lightning in a bottle/perfect storm type event. As most audience/box office phenomenons are. 

But can you really fathom TGM without Tom Cruise?

37 minutes ago, Xavier said:

But can you really fathom TGM without Tom Cruise?

Well he’s never had as big a hit. 

I’m not saying he didn’t help, of course he did. But it’s lightning in a bottle why it did so well. We’ve had plenty of requels before. 

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Honestly I'd go with direct to streaming too with that law, that's just ridiculous in today's moviegoing environment.

Ridicolous as the law is, France is still one of the largest markets for Disney animated films — Encanto made more there than anywhere else bar DOM.

If Disney really wanted to take a stand, why is Strange World the first and so far only casualty? It just tells me they think the film’s expendable enough to pull such a move.

Lightyear bombing was easy to see coming a mile away. Chapek must be thrilled right now, he has the justification to throw every animation straight into D+ now.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lightyear bombing was easy to see coming a mile away. Chapek must be thrilled right now, he has the justification to throw every animation straight into D+ now.

Hey, I hate Chapek as much as the next guy. He’s spineless and untrustworthy; but it’s funny that a lot of you think he’s some moustache-twirling villain who will take glee in the — unlikely —  death of theatres. The general public for the most part doesn’t care, either; in fact, a lot of parents prefer the quicker releases to D+  (I’m not saying they’re right; it’s just the truth). 

Lightyear is a misfire, for sure, but all studios have those. It must have seemed like a safe bet — a spin-off of possibly the most popular character from Pixar’s biggest, most-iconic IP. Some have years and years of failures and still manage to survive.

Pixar is doing fine. Animation as an art form has the most potential, even now. Its movies will be released in theatres, because straight to D+ releases cannot be sustained in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I’m not saying he didn’t help, of course he did. But it’s lightning in a bottle why it did so well. We’ve had plenty of requels before. 

Agreed, it’s extraordinary. But he is certainly the face of it.

37 minutes ago, awkwardaardvark said:

Lightyear is a misfire, for sure, but all studios have those. It must have seemed like a safe bet — a spin-off of possibly the most popular character from Pixar’s biggest, most-iconic IP.

Incredibles is Pixar's biggest IP. Toy Story is just a hair ahead of the Finding franchise.

And truth be told, they didn't really know what to do with Buzz after TS1.

GKIDS? Seriously, releasing a film in late 2022 which is already in streaming worldwide (Amazon Prime Video) since August 2021

No GIF

Spoiler

GKIDS Acquires N. American Theatrical, Home Video Rights to Evangelion 3.0+1.01 Film (link)

Film screens in N. America in late 2022

GKIDS announced on Friday that it has acquired the North American theatrical, home video, and electronic sell-through rights to the Evangelion: 3.0+1.01: Thrice Upon A Time (Shin Evangelion Gekijō-ban :||) film. The company will screen the film in theaters in late 2022, then release it on home video at a later date.

The film debuted on the Amazon Prime Video service worldwide in August 2021. The film is available in Japanese, French, German, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Peninsular Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Korean, and English audio, as well as with subtitles in 28 languages.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Well Cruise and Mcquarrie never had as big a hit as Fallout at one point. Pretty sure they would have never had as big a hit as Dead Reckoning when that releases. It took some time but with TGM & Fallout, people are now well aware of the difference between a Cruise production and other stuff you see on screen, which is why the gap between TGM & other films released this summer is widening both domestically and internationally. The gap will widen further when Dead Reckoning releases.
Also, Kosinski is pretty great but without Cruise’s involvement & insistence on shooting practical aerial stunts and Mcquarrie’s involvement with the story, screenplay and rewrites(which according to rumours, delayed the release from 2019 to 2020), I don’t think the RT & Audience score would’ve been remotely close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Incredibles is Pixar's biggest IP. Toy Story is just a hair ahead of the Finding franchise.

Toy Story is definitely their bigger franchise. Pixar as it is now wouldn’t exist now without it. Not only was TS3 first animated film to cross a billion, but TS4 — a completely unnecessary sequel — crossed a billion 9 years later, far past the series’s prime. 

I agree that they didn’t know what to do with Buzz, though. 

Edited by awkwardaardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Elemental at least is a shoe-in for Plus, especially after Lightyear's numbers. Chapek will likely not be at Disney after that.

24 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

nah. Toy Story is their biggest franchise. From consistently gargantuan box office, to the merchandise, it is their equivalent of Mickey Mouse. 

that said, Lightyear ain’t no Toy Story movie. Which might explain what we’re seeing play out this weekend, amongst other factors 

11 minutes ago, Maverick123 said:

Well Cruise and Mcquarrie never had as big a hit as Fallout at one point. Pretty sure they would have never had as big a hit as Dead Reckoning when that releases. It took some time but with TGM & Fallout, people are now well aware of the difference between a Cruise production and other stuff you see on screen, which is why the gap between TGM & other films released this summer is widening both domestically and internationally. The gap will widen further when Dead Reckoning releases.
Also, Kosinski is pretty great but without Cruise’s involvement & insistence on shooting practical aerial stunts and Mcquarrie’s involvement with the story, screenplay and rewrites(which according to rumours, delayed the release from 2019 to 2020), I don’t think the RT & Audience score would’ve been remotely close.

I don’t see Mission Impossible doing as much as Top Gun Maverick. That’s my point, it’s a breakout, unexpected, a phenomenon. 

For example, the last Tom Cruise film I seen in cinemas before Top Gun Maverick was Mission Impossible 2 I think. I won’t be going to see Dead Reckoning. 

This film is tapping in to an audience that don’t usually go to the cinema, it’s a once in a while smash hit.