EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

15,5M Friday for Dominion? Dominion possibly winning the weekend should Sat increase be good enough for it??

hello-alan-grant.gif

Jurassic World #1 here in the UK too yesterday. Lightyear was #3, behind Top Gun’s 4th Friday. Ouch. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Jurassic World #1 here in the UK too yesterday. Lightyear was #3, behind Top Gun’s 4th Friday. Ouch. 

Even worse in Germany:

On Thursday the order was JWD #1, TG2 #2, a German movie #3 and Lightyear #4.

And the difference is gigantic (JWD Thursday was about 4.8 times Lightyears Opening Day).

• Like 2

Sigh. Disappointing. Looking like potentially sub 50M OW DOM for LY. JWD will win the weekend but will do not even getting to 60M+ which I was hoping for... Probably something in the mid 50s. 

Not disappointing at all for TGM though. That's looking like 40M+ is very much locked... Probably more likely closer to 45M even. That's insane.

Actually doing great for a spinoff of Toy Story using one of the worst characters in the series, but not actually that character, the character the toy is somehow based off from an alternate dimension?

• ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Well he’s never had as big a hit. 

I’m not saying he didn’t help, of course he did. But it’s lightning in a bottle why it did so well. We’ve had plenty of requels before. 

The original Top Gun was the top grossing movie of the year, and it was like.. 15th of all time back then. And two years later he again had the top grossing movie of the year, Rain Man, which was then something like the 19th of all time. (Domestic) 

• Like 7

In 2015, Jurassic World denied Inside Out the #1 spot on its OW despite the latter opening to 90M.

In 2018, some weird people actually thought Incredibles 2's 2nd weekend could top JW:Fallen Kingdoms OW. Ofc, that didnt happen and Incredibles 2 never reached #1 again.

In 2022, JW: Dominion could (!) deny Lightyear the #1 spot for the weekend.

What do we learn with this? Dinos like to look at jumping lamps from the top.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think Disney should just leave this franchise alone. Outside of the main movies, these spin-offs (be it about the toy that inspired the toy or even spin-offs in the toy/Andy world) can't stand on their own. 

Maybe come back in 5 years with Toy Story 5. That's the only place this franchise could go imo. 

52 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t see Mission Impossible doing as much as Top Gun Maverick. That’s my point, it’s a breakout, unexpected, a phenomenon. 

For example, the last Tom Cruise film I seen in cinemas before Top Gun Maverick was Mission Impossible 2 I think. I won’t be going to see Dead Reckoning. 

This film is tapping in to an audience that don’t usually go to the cinema, it’s a once in a while smash hit. 

Yes, I agree with you that everything fit perfectly into place for TGM, from critics reviews to audience word of mouth, but outside of CBMs, we haven’t had anything breakout remotely in the same league as TGM based sorely on excellent reviews and word of mouth in the last few years. Also, unlike the MI franchise which is currently at the height of its popularity, TGM had to build its audience from the ground up. TGM’s success has also resulted in some Tom Cruise movies to trend on streaming platforms.
So, Dead Reckoning already has the goodwill of Fallout, the inbuilt audience of the MI franchise and the popularity of TGM to build on. If it’s as good as either Fallout or TGM, it will generate intrigue amongst both fans and people who were previously indifferent to Tom Cruise but were impressed by TGM. 

24 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

In 2015, Jurassic World denied Inside Out the #1 spot on its OW despite the latter opening to 90M.

In 2018, some weird people actually thought Incredibles 2's 2nd weekend could top JW:Fallen Kingdoms OW. Ofc, that didnt happen and Incredibles 2 never reached #1 again.

We learn that JWD is lucky LY is a dud. I’m sorry, no matter how many times you pay your good money to the dinos, the later installment just didn’t take off.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Seems like it's locked to win the weekend and do so somewhat comfortably. That 2018 one is funny... I can't imagine very many thought that and, in the end, I2 grossed almost 200M more DOM than JWFK. Beating LY is one thing but would've been much easier to stomach as a box office geek if it was something like JWD 65 to LY's 60 or something in that range... This is kind of depressing because it's winning due to a pretty big underperformance from  LY and 60%+ weekend to weekend drop and this in an inflated Father's Day/Juneteenth holiday weekend for JWD too. I don't mind JWD winning it... Just wish both were doing more this weekend in the process of said win.

I wonder if addition to many other factors, aside from an overwhelmingly acclaimed TGM, the market it's ready for back to back to big releases just a little? We haven't had this many in a row in a long while. I'm glad there's a buffer between this weekend and TLT. Should help Thor. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Just saw TGM in 4dx and holy crap I didn't know 4dx actually went that hard. That was so fun, a couple of people kept screaming woo during intense flight sequences lmao. TGM is definitely a great experience for my first time watching a movie in 4dx. Will definitely try it again sometime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

If Jurassic World beats it this weekend it’ll become clear that Pixar should’ve done a Rex spin-off instead. Not about the toy but about the dinosaur who inspired the toy. 

I disagree. The best spinoff pixar could do would be Babyface, about the real mutant spider-baby which inspired Sid to create the toy.

8_img_3454_large3.jpg

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Two buffers, depending on your thoughts on minions.

Yes. I think Minions will certainly do better than Lightyear is doing. Maybe even break out as kids will definitely love it and it's not going to streaming right away. Has a nice release day. I more so buffer away from TGM, JWD and LY... Even though JWD and LY are kids flicks and LY is underperforming, it's good that by the time TLT releases the grosses of all of three will be much, much lower... Especially JWD and LY. They'll be complete afterthoughts by the time TLT opens on 7/8. TGM will still be legging it out of course with highly respectable numbers, holds but will be in it's 7th weekend/week at that point.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer