EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Hungry Home Alone GIF by Freeform

live-action Buzz is not having a happy weekend seeing these numbers…

Went to bed thinking Lightyear did 9.75 true Friday with the 15 number including the 5.25 Thursday number... So, while not great, I feel a lot better than I did then. Haha.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Went to bed thinking Lightyear did 9.75 true Friday with the 15 number including the 5.25 Thursday number... So, while not great, I feel a lot better than I did then. Haha.

I’ll bet! now that really would have been panic stations 

Just now, wildphantom said:

I’ll bet! now that really would have been panic stations 

Yes! If you saw my recent posts, I didn't understand why people thought it would even be close between LY and JWD this weekend. I was confused as to why it was being discussed. Seemed like a slam dunk to me. I just got so accustomed to everyone rolling the Thursday into the opening Friday here that I took it for granted that it completely tanked on Friday and was headed for 50M as absolute best OW.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

If Jurassic World beats it this weekend it’ll become clear that Pixar should’ve done a Rex spin-off instead. Not about the toy but about the dinosaur who inspired the toy. 

No cap how much would that movie actually make? And how much would a MCU Savage Lands movie make? I want it so bad

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If 20.25 with previews is not good for LY. In fact we could be heading for flop territory 

No. It's not. But, if it can get a 3+ multi from the weekend, it could still finish with somewhat respectable albeit very disappointing DOM total. Minions I think now will easily outperform it. Hopefully the summer days boost it's weekdays enough to get it to something between 175M and 200M as a DOM finish. Unlikely but who knows? That 200M production budget is insane with stuff like Sing and Sonic costing about half that. That hurts.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yes! If you saw my recent posts, I didn't understand why people thought it would even be close between LY and JWD this weekend. I was confused as to why it was being discussed. Seemed like a slam dunk to me. I just got so accustomed to everyone rolling the Thursday into the opening Friday here that I took it for granted that it completely tanked on Friday and was headed for 50M as absolute best OW.

I did wonder, looking back! 🤣

The movie should be good for closer to $60 million. 

Regardless, I think the narrative of its underwhelming performance and audience apathy/confusion has too many thinking the film isn’t good. Far from it in my opinion, it is good. Great in moments. Once people get over what it isn’t they might realise it’s actually a solid, interesting piece of work.  

Edited by wildphantom

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

There's definitely a Kosinski vs Cruise and Mcquarrie debate to be had about who is the actual driving creative force behind Top Gun 2

too bad, I was hoping with Kosinski directing and Claudio Miranda doing the cinematography this would be better than the average Netflix movie

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Well he’s never had as big a hit. 

I’m not saying he didn’t help, of course he did. But it’s lightning in a bottle why it did so well. We’ve had plenty of requels before. 

So, I'm gonna echo previous posters again, but here's my Disney thinking...

I'm gonna posit that Top Gun Maverick is doing so well b/c it's the one movie you can take anyone to and have no drama and everyone has fun and is happy.  In the winter, that was Spidey.  Now, it's TGM.

So, you can take someone who hasn't been to the movies in 3 years.  You can take 81 year old granddad and 7 year old Susie.  You can take your cynical uncle and your progressive teen.  Just like you could to Spidey.

It used to be Disney/Pixar animation always got that summer spot and advantage of "everyone will like this and we'll have no drama".  But not this year, b/c too many people have too many feelings for Disney at the moment...and Top Gun 2 has totally taken advantage of that.

Disney has to correct their corporate image pronto and go back to a less combative, more supportive/conciliatory stance.  That is, if they care about people opening their wallets for one-offs.

And they don't even have to change their movies - just market less "you must be a hater if you don't buy this" to "we support everyone and their beliefs and we hope you can support our attempt to make some movie magic for you, and understand if you can't"...(it's that last part that's been missing, and it matters to buyers)...

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

Minions breaking out would be depressing, tbh

Doubt it tbh, it actually dropped slightly in yesterday's Long Range forecast. In fact I don't think any of this summer's animated movies are gonna be the genre's One True Hope for bringing back massive box office grosses: Minions/Despicable Me feels like a "diminishing returns" franchise from here on out, Paws of Fury looks cheap, and Super-Pets...meh.