EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Honestly, I think Pixar should stick to originals for the next few years although I do think they could try and perhaps break their habit of only doing original stories and perhaps adapt a children's story or character for a film. 

They're fortunate to have found someone younger proven worthy of taking up a senior creative mantle in Domee Shi, but they really are missing the reliability of old faces like Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird. Bird's name might be tarnished now that he's back in Lasseter's employ but I really hope Stanton has another animated project on his mind. They need some veteran presence to keep them afloat through what I predict will be a pretty inconsistent decade for them.

Just now, AniNate said:

They're fortunate to have found someone younger proven worthy of taking up a senior creative mantle in Domee Shi, but they really are missing the reliability of old faces like Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird. Bird's name might be tarnished now that he's back in Lasseter's employ but I really hope Stanton has another animated project on his mind. They need some veteran presence to keep them afloat through what I predict will be a pretty inconsistent decade for them.

Pixar cannot rely on the same directors forever, they need to look for new and younger talent to make their mark and TBF they have started to do so. 

I know there are some who think Pixar are doomed but TBH much like Disney, they're not giving up that easily. 

36 minutes ago, Juan Caballo said:

85M Worldwide? Holy shit. 

This is... BOMB level. 

People put to much on the "Oh it's because of Disney Plus". While I do agree that's a factor, I think the main one is just the movie itself. Period. One of the most uninteresting Pixar movies of the last years. And screams "we want to milk this franchise so damn hard". 

Disney, since you are reading this right now, read closely. You need to redeem this franchise. Set Toy Story 5 for 2024 right fucking now. 

Not sure they’d have it ready in two years.  Plus it would just feel like a hail mary 

This is all Disney's fault for releasing the recent Pixar movies directly to streaming and thus conditioning parents to expect that these movies will come out on streaming in a couple of weeks if not right away. Pixar needs to do something to put an end to Disney+ ruining their brand.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is it. This is very much it.

Badly marketed in terms of making it appealing

Badly marketed in terms of making the purpose of the movie and its relationship to Toy Story clear to audiences

Badly marketed in terms of the movie that exists not being the movie that was advertised

Badly executed in its second act

Badly executed in terms of some of its secondary characters and voice casting

Badly executed in terms of consistent tone

It's not the worst movie Pixar have put out. But it is definitely the most poorly positioned.

Thing is of all the things it IS, it ISNT a cash in. It looks like it is. Heck, a cash-in - with silly adventures, wacky Zurg and aliens being mischievous and cameos from the other toys - would have been better than what this is and certainly made more money.

It's a walkthrough of a think piece sci-fi film. But Disneyfied enough that it doesn't even get the benefits of good think piece sci-fi.

The fabulousness that is Sox didn't deserve this. Heaven knows how bad bad things would have got without him.

I don’t agree with much of this. And it is all opinions. 

I think the movie is good. Nothing about it is ‘Disneyfied’ and it feels very much like I would expect a Pixar sci-fi space adventure to feel like.  It’s far from the cash-in it could have been. 

I liked it. My nephew adored it. My whole family enjoyed it. 

Disney+ took the bite out of this. Simple as that. The worldwide numbers tell that story. 

A Disney/Pixar movie as it stands is not the event it was, and won’t be until they sort out treating their films like they’re special again.  It’s not that families aren’t rabid to see these films, but telling them they can wait a little while and watch them for free is going to have an impact. 

It’ll be very interesting to see how it holds next weekend. Especially as the countdown to free tv will be down to T minus 6 weeks. And don’t think people at home don’t know this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheddar Please said:

Also I'm still on the 45m+ train for TGM, this movie has regularly blown past Sun estimates: 

OW: 151m > 160m

2nd wknd: 86m > 90m

3rd wknd: 50m > 51m

4th wknd: 44m > ???

+9 = 3x3

+4 = 2x2

+1 = 1x1

+0 = 0x0 ???

• Haha 3

Is there a reason Brad Bird is going Ray Gunn with Skydance Animation rather than Pixar Animation? Was there a falling out? Also, what happened with Stanton? I know John Carter bombed but he did do Nemo, WALL-E and Dory for Pixar... All hugely appreciated movies... He moved on as well?

4 minutes ago, Zucch11 said:

This is all Disney's fault for releasing the recent Pixar movies directly to streaming and thus conditioning parents to expect that these movies will come out on streaming in a couple of weeks if not right away. Pixar needs to do something to put an end to Disney+ ruining their brand.

And what can they do?

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Is there a reason Brad Bird is going Ray Gunn with Skydance Animation rather than Pixar Animation? Was there a falling out? Also, what happened with Stanton? I know John Carter bombed but he did do Nemo, WALL-E and Dory for Pixar... All hugely appreciated movies... He moved on as well?

I think Bird’s new movie is aiming to be more mature/ likely PG-13, something Disney would absolutely not allow Pixar to do

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Ray Gunn I suspect is probably more adult skewing which Pixar can't offer. 

I think Andrew Stanton is trying to do more live action work rather than any sort of falling out.

• Like 1

Just now, Mango said:

I think Bird’s new movie is aiming to be more mature/ likely PG-13, something Disney would absolutely not allow Pixar to do

So theres no hope for my R-Rated Toy Story 5 where the toys come back with a vengeance to rip apart Andys new family, both figuratively and literally?

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Brad Bird likes working with John and is happy to be complicit with his garbage behavior. Andrew Stanton's also directing a lot of live-action stuff these days. He actually wrote the last episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mango said:

Tbh as long as they don’t jump the gun and shove it on Paramount Plus too early, Top Gun would probably be a prime Labor Day expansion for premium screens

Variety confirmed Paramount CEO Boss will extend its theatrical window.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

At least you'll be able to hold on to the fact that using current ticket prices, Jurassic World is in the $780M range. That's something, right? 

Reveal hidden contents

Because Maverick has his misses locked right on those dinos and that ship....

Clearly over 800M, no? We've clearly seen more than 10% inflation on blockbuster ticket prices since the middle of 2019.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Ray Gunn I suspect is probably more adult skewing which Pixar can't offer. 

I think Andrew Stanton is trying to do more live action work rather than any sort of falling out.

Stanton’s a Lucasfilm employee now.

Note just being a little facetious.

Stanton's still with Pixar in a management role but he seems to really like working on For All Mankind these days

Did say he'd be taking a long break from animation after he finished up Dory but again, really love the work he's done with Pixar and hope he has one more in him

• Like 1