EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Are you high?

Yes. 

Since 2017, we had BATB with it's "exclusively gay moment" among many other Disney movies. We had the extremely stupid flag controversy in First Man and so many other nonsensical controversies even at the time you are saying.

2017 BATB was over 5 years ago and aimed at an older audience. How is that relevant? The landscape was very different and my entire point was noting the changes from that era to today. 

TGM was hyped by liberal critics and the like. You realize that if TGM had flopped, it would have been the right going "It flopped because Hollywood didn't even have the balls to name China or Iran as the enemy instead of an unnamed country, also female pilots is too woke"

You are taking points which don't exist and trying to connect them in a way to fulfill your priors. 

You are putting words into my mouth. I didn't say this was right vs. left, I simply noted reactions today to certain things are different than I would have expected a few years ago. I don't think there was a giant market for military Americana films circa 2018-2020. We're talking about a time when Childish Gambino's This is America was an epic hit. Mainstream pop culture just felt very different.  

As for the Americana theme being taboo before now - What was the highest grossing movie of 2014 again?

You are bringing up an example 8 years ago as a counter to a point saying 2022 has been very different to recent years?

19 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Also apparently he forgot Joker being a huge hit despite all the hysteria of it being an incel manifesto

I am sorry, is October 2019 the same time frame as June, 2022? Plus, Joker broke out for a number of other reasons, none of which I would personally label as political. It was also rated R; the intel controversy helped it, if anything.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I am sorry, is October 2019 the same time frame as June, 2022?

You were talking about the difference between pop culture during 2018-2020, and I just gave an example of something that was part of a culture-war where the liberal stance was to be against the film at that time. It goes against your whole "things were more woke back then."

Plus, Joker broke out for a number of other reasons

Just like Top Gun

none of which I would personally label as political

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/03/world/joker-global-protests-trnd/index.html

Edited by ringedmortality

Yes. 

2017 BATB was over 5 years ago and aimed at an older audience. How is that relevant? The landscape was very different and my entire point was noting the changes from that era to today. 

You are putting words into my mouth. I didn't say this was right vs. left, I simply noted reactions today to certain things are different than I would have expected a few years ago. I don't think there was a giant market for military Americana films circa 2018-2020. We're talking about a time when Childish Gambino's This is America was an epic hit. Mainstream pop culture just felt very different.  

You are bringing up an example 8 years ago as a counter to a point saying 2022 has been very different to recent years?

I am sorry, is October 2019 the same time frame as June, 2022? Plus, Joker broke out for a number of other reasons, none of which I would personally label as political. It was also rated R; the intel controversy helped it, if anything.

You keep saying this year is different and then refusing to see the examples showing how it's not different.

If that's not being ignorant for the sake of being ignorant I don't know what is.

Skimming through this thread further, I am reminded yet again how strange it is to see some posters telling other posters what the other poster's post means, as if the responding poster understands the original posters point better than they themselves. It's highly bizarre. Instead of asking for clarification, the responding posters simply assume they understand what the original poster meant and assume a position that often comes off as intellectual snobbery as well as foolish given that most often, the responding poster has misread the original post and rather than having the self awareness to consider this possibility, they charge ahead with an often ridiculous response.

Unless @Shawn states otherwise, people are allowed to have differing opinions here, FYI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

You were talking about the difference between pop culture during 2018-2020, and I just gave an example of something that was part of a culture-war where the liberal stance was to be against the film at that time. It goes against your whole "things were more woke back then."

Excuse me, please show where I said "things more woke back then". You put it in quote so I assume I must have said it somewhere, so please show it me. 

I said things were different. That you interpreted this as me saying things were more woke is your own (insert unflattering adjective here) mistake. 

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

See above response.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You keep saying this year is different and then refusing to see the examples showing how it's not different.

If that's not being ignorant for the sake of being ignorant I don't know what is.

Excuse me, I was just warned by a mod for not being nice, so I definitely find it strange to be called "ignorant" by a poster (who also happens mod) who used an example from 2014 to counter my point that 2022 feels different than 2018ish-2021 era. 

Please be more consistent. 

2022 feels VERY different than 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and even 2021. If you disagree, feel free to find some legitimate examples from this years. At least the Joker example was from 2019, but I don't think that controversy was the type that would hurt its appeal to core audiences, rather would expect it to help it. 

Edited by excel1

1 hour ago, Ronin46 said:

Next up is your Top Gun 2 prediction of 550M.

I mean Im fine if it goes way above that. Top gun will plummet so damn hard next week. Massive drop

After that not sure

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 2

16 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I mean Im fine if it goes way above that. Top gun will plummet so damn hard next week. Massive drop

After that not sure

It did not plummet after memorial weekend or when JWD opened. Why on earth do you think it will plummet against Elvis and Black Phone !!!! its going 650m+ at this point. 

• Like 2

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

It did not plummet after memorial weekend or when JWD opened. Why on earth do you think it will plummet against Elvis and Black Phone !!!! its going 650m+ at this point. 

I kind of understand people saying 550 a week or so ago (but could not agree at all) but to say it now after a 45M 4th weekend is more like trolling really.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lmao even if Top Gun 2 "crumbles" next weekend, we all know what's going to happen 4th of July weekend. 

Boom-Denzel-gif

And then spend most of July in the 15-20 million weekend range…. Not to mention summer weekdays. Those add up quickly. 

Look at EEAAO.

It just legged it out and it added up fast. TGM looks like it will do the same. No reason to believe it doesn’t play strong throughout the summer, and get a late August IMAX/PLF re-release. 

Im considering 650 million the bottom at this point. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Arguing with excel hoping he sees err of his ways. 

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

50 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Unless @Shawn states otherwise, people are allowed to have differing opinions here, FYI.

Shawn doesn’t run this board, I do.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2