Eric Prime

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Reading through the comments to that... Yikes. What a lame event for these dude tweens/teens. 

it's surely a fake? No way they forbid people showing up in suits for the movie. Costumes, maybe. But why would they forbid suits even if it's a meme.

14 minutes ago, cannastop said:

it's surely a fake? No way they forbid people showing up in suits for the movie. Costumes, maybe. But why would they forbid suits even if it's a meme.

Apparently it was because those groups were causing a ruckus inside the theater.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

29 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Doubt it's fake. While the overwhelming majority of the suit dudes have been respectful a growing number were not. Throwing things at screens, moshing before/during the film, etc. I imagine that specific theater's staff had do an especially unruly group and just said, "Fuck it. No TikTok suit bros here." These dudes aren't being banned nationwide. I just think very specifically at theaters that had a very bad experience with groups in suits. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Doubt it's fake. While the overwhelming majority of the suit dudes have been respectful a growing number were not. Throwing things at screens, moshing before/during the film, etc. I imagine that specific theater's staff had do an especially unruly group and just said, "Fuck it. No TikTok suit bros here." These dudes aren't being banned nationwide. I just think very specifically at theaters that had a very bad experience with groups in suits. 

Well true enough but these types of things have been fake before, like the "no single men at Joker" signs.

49 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Reading through the comments to that... Yikes. What a lame event for these dude tweens/teens. 

yeh I saw the Odeon message about the Minions groups too and to refuse entry if they’re wearing suits. 

It was cute for a second yesterday, but if they’re causing hassle in the cinema, they can fuck off. 

• Like 2

Minions 2 is about to be the sixth movie post-pandemic to hit 100m+ in 3 days, the first animated film since Frozen II to do it, and the fifth biggest OW of 2022 so far.

As far as 2020's OW's are concerned:

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home - $260,138,569
  2. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - $187,420,998
  3. Jurassic World Dominion - $145,075,625
  4. The Batman - $134,008,624
  5. Top Gun: Maverick - $126,707,459
  6. Minions: The Rise of Gru - ??? ($100+ million)
  7. Venom: Let There Be Carnage - $90,033,210
  8. Black Widow - $80,366,312
  9. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - $75,388,688
  10. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $72,105,176

Eternals drops off the list ($71 million opening); F9 ($70 million) and Bad Boys for Life ($62.5 million) occupy the following two spots.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The last thing we need is a "performative" tik tok trends becaming a thing for every movie. When the movie starts the silence is sacred. 

Yeah but I don't think there will be this same thing happening for say... The Fabelmans.

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Apparently it was because those groups were causing a ruckus inside the theater.

If this is fan event or private screening, maybe this kind of behaviour would be more tolerable. We see the fans throwing spoon or reciting the line loudly in “the room” but that was fan event. 

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The last thing we need is a "performative" tik tok trends becaming a thing for every movie. When the movie starts the silence is sacred. 

I don't mind enthusiastic actual fans cheering at moments in a movie.  know that's not what you're talking about though.

But, people doing that aggressively loud with their smart phone flash lights on not because of any actual enthusiasm but instead doing so ironically and to intentionally ruin the movie for others is completely egregious. Kids gonna be kids but this is pretty sad. Has me thinking of Chet Hanks White Boy Summer. In a funny sad way, when he talked about that last summer, stuff like what went wrong in these screenings with rowdy Gentle Minions is actually what I envisioned. Haha. Ugh.

3 hours ago, CloneWars said:

This year is turning everything I know about BO on its head. It feels like after the pandemic moviegoing habits have changed, but not in the ways we could have predicted. It's like audience tastes are shifting, probably due to the world changing overall. Interesting times we live in.

I'm not so surprised by recent box office performances. China already prove that pandemic have destroy the habits of moviegoing. People will always go back to cinema, but they would only watch something they believe necessary. In pre-pandemic period, audience had a mood to go cinema even no specific movie they expect in the list. And some titles (even garbage one) benefited from that. Now, the circumstance is gone. Nobody want to stick in public places like cinemas for no reason. Studios have to prove their goods are something worth audience's time and money to give.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Presenting you Indian cinema

Still feels more so like these people are genuinely vibing with the movie with genuine enthusiasm. Looks forced/fake with the Minions in cases and done purely to make a scene and drawn attention to detract from the movie. While similar, I don't think it's the same. What's going in that theater in India looks like a super fun celebration. It mirrors the scene in the movie too.

• Like 4