Eric is Quiet

4th of July Weekend | Tiktok propels Minions 2 to 108.5 3-Day OW | TGM 25.5, Elvis 19, JWD 15.6, Black Phone 12.3 | Independence Day Weekend Sale!

40 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Stop putting words in my mouth.  I never said they were dying to go see a Minions movie, and it's obviously a joke and people being goofy having fun.  The larger point is that this is an example of people (kids and young adults in this case) wanting to get out and live life and have a good time in large groups.  One of the ways that people have ALWAYS done that since the early 1900's is go to the movies.  

It's hard evidence that sitting at home by yourself streaming is not the future of the human race.  

I don’t see this Minions kind of thing as much different from ‘let’s go see a movie and then meet up afterwards for drinks’ that’s been a staple of moviegoing for decades.

They just kind of do it differently now with some online ‘I was there’ badge to get cred or clout or whatever they call it. 

It’s all a popularity contest for survival through school or college at the end of the day.  Like going to a party as ‘everybody is going to be there’.  Being on one of these videos is that badge of honour that you hang out and others take notice. 

I’m loving this little frenzy. Hope it gets more common as they all no doubt are having a great time doing it.  I mean why do so many take a selfie and tag themselves seeing a movie on social media? This is much the same thing. 

• Like 3

Tbh the only concern like @Eric the Minion said is maybe the Disney plus factor but one thing in its favor is that for the live action remakes, no notable ones have been sent directly to the plus. Sure there’s Tramp and Pinocchio but at best they’d do 100m.

11 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

The issue with Little Mermaid is less live-action fatigue (people will gladly see anything that is a nostalgic toy commercial), but the Disney+ factor. Almost every Disney movie that's coming out these days and into the future will have to deal with the fact that people who would have gone to them in theaters will now likely wait a couple months until it's free to watch at home. Marvel and Avatar are the only two franchises that will probably be free from that factor, but who knows if that will be the case a couple years down the line?

Until they change it.  And they will. 

Little Mermaid will probably have jaw-dropping visuals, they shot this in many gorgeous locations and get a super long post-production. 

The only thing against it is lack of a strong name, but honestly it's a classic, it have all the memorable songs, it's probably gonna be gorgeous to watch and bring nostalgia.

I don't see any reason to gross less than Aladdin if it's good.

• Like 2

it's older teens who do genuinely want to see the minions movie but they're a little embarrassed about it because it's a movie for babies so they've turned seeing it into a meme. there i solved it.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Tbh the only concern like @Eric the Minion said is maybe the Disney plus factor but one thing in its favor is that for the live action remakes, no notable ones have been sent directly to the plus. Sure there’s Tramp and Pinocchio but at best they’d do 100m.

They also have Peter Pan & Wendy coming, probably late this year. 

It isn't such a big IP but i'm sure it could compensate that being a really good movie if they send to theaters. 

I'm convinced it's gonna be great, Lowery is too good a director. But sadly it seems there's no chance getting out of D+

if Mulan got a regular theatrical release it would’ve been a massive bomb, and I remember everyone overpredicting the hell out of that movie before it got booted to disney+. no idea why Little Mermaid would have significantly more appeal than Mulan (they both adjust to roughly the same amount domestic). feels like a lot of the live action remake momentum was exhausted after the one two punch of Aladdin and Lion King in 2019, and it’s certainly a less popular movie than either of those. this is an absurdly large range but anywhere between Dumbo and Cinderella numbers feels right to me.

Just now, That One Guy said:

if Mulan got a regular theatrical release it would’ve been a massive bomb, and I remember everyone overpredicting the hell out of that movie before it got booted to disney+. no idea why Little Mermaid would have significantly more appeal than Mulan (they both adjust to roughly the same amount domestic). feels like a lot of the live action remake momentum was exhausted after the one two punch of Aladdin and Lion King in 2019, and it’s certainly a less popular movie than either of those. this is an absurdly large range but anywhere between Dumbo and Cinderella numbers feels right to me.

It would be a bomb because people hated it, but there was strong interest in it before.

About The Little Mermaid... I don't know how is the impact and popularity of the original in the US, but at least here in Brazil I think it's on par with Alladin and Beauty and The Beast. The Lion King is just miles above the others over here as you can see with it being the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time (it did more than 2x BATB and almost 4x Aladdin).

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They also have Peter Pan & Wendy coming, probably late this year. 

It isn't such a big IP but i'm sure it could compensate that being a really good movie if they send to theaters. 

I'm convinced it's gonna be great, Lowery is too good a director. But sadly it seems there's no chance getting out of D+

I'm pretty sure every attempt by Hollywood in milking the Peter Pan IP on the big screen to no success (even Hook's gross was viewed as semi-disappointing upon release considering the insane amount of talent involved) is what caused them to just make it into a + exclusive.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It would be a bomb because people hated it, but there was strong interest in it before.

sure, the movie had a lot of factors that led to it essentially bombing, just using it as an example of how the whole live action remake enterprise is not infallible. at the end of the day, the main reason i assume little mermaid won’t do extraordinarily well is the vibes are off.