EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 7/5/22 - 7/7/22

That seems to be an incredibly terrific number for minions for a tuesday. I know we still have cheap Tuesdays here in Canada or at least in Toronto we do. And as I was reading you guys were saying there's some kind of an initiative in the states as well so that's good.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

That seems to be an incredibly terrific number for minions for a tuesday. I know we still have cheap Tuesdays here in Canada or at least in Toronto we do. And as I was reading you guys were saying there's some kind of an initiative in the states as well so that's good.

Great to see you again!  

Yes, AMC finally reinstated them - in areas where there are both Cinemarks and AMCs (not many) they were probably getting killed on Tuesdays...and someone probably figured out those cheap folks are only gonna show for cheap, so not having them on Tuesdays was killing them financially (b/c I admit, the teens last night at concessions - they bought a ton!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not going to make a big deal of this because I don't want to come across as me thinking I'm any more important than what I really am. I'm just another poster here. 

As I mentioned in my meltdown post I wasn't happy with things here and I did speak to Shawn over the weekend and we ironed out a few things and because of him I'm going to stay. Again I'm not saying this so anybody can do backflips, I'm just posting this in case anyone wonders why I'm here after I said I wasn't going to be here anymore.

So you guys are stuck with me.

@TwoMisfits thanks for your kind words and I look forward to chatting with you and many others in the months to come.

Okay enough of that, LOL

• Like 13

Just now, baumer said:

I'm not going to make a big deal of this because I don't want to come across as me thinking I'm any more important than what I really am. I'm just another poster here. 

As I mentioned in my meltdown post I wasn't happy with things here and I did speak to Shawn over the weekend and we ironed out a few things and because of him I'm going to stay. Again I'm not saying this so anybody can do backflips, I'm just posting this in case anyone wonders why I'm here after I said I wasn't going to be here anymore.

@TwoMisfits thanks for your kind words and I look forward to chatting with you and many others in the months to come.

Okay enough of that, LOL

I hope you stick around as well. World is not perfect. We have to live within the limitations :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All right here's some random thoughts on my part.

1) First of all make it a year ago but even funnier how about 5 years ago, who would have ever thought any film starring Tom Cruise let alone a Top Gun sequel would pass Titanic domestically? It just doesn't compute. I think it's fantastic for the box office that a film like this has hit the zeitgeist. 

2) But on the flip side of this I also think that because Hollywood is such a copycat business, and rightfully so, there's going to be all kinds of '80s and '90s well liked movies they're going to be given sequels or reboots and I think this one is lightning in a bottle. I don't think you going to have another film do this well at the box office again just because it was a well liked 80s film.

3) I've liked most Marvel films that have been released in the last five or six years. Infinity war and endgame were two of my favorite movies from 18-19. Having said that, I thought Doctor strange 2 was just horrendous. It was convoluted, confusing, and I really didn't care for Wanda to be the bad guy even though I understand she was possessed by the Scarlet witch.

4) I mentioned it before but I'll say it again, I'm glad to see Pixar fail. I'm sure they'll take this as a lesson and make better films in the future but for me personally I just never really dug that many of their movies.

5) I'm also thrilled to see minions continue to do well because it obviously entertains people and at this stage of what we're going through in the world I think we all need to be entertained. I've always thought the minions were kind of like Gremlins but for this generation.

6) Speaking of gremlins I've heard rumors that they are working on a third movie and I would love to see Joe Dante and the rest of the crew come back and make another really good Gremlins film.

7) I haven't seen Elvis yet but I will this weekend and I'm also glad it's doing well because from what I've heard from people who have seen it, it sounds like it's really well done.

😎 And finally I'll end it with a Netflix comment. For me the Six million dollar man will always be the best television show of all time because it's the first TV show that I went absolutely bananas over. The bigfoot episode is the single best episode of TV in the history of TV... in my opinion of course.

But after watching four full seasons of stranger things I really had to question keeping the 6 million dollar man at number one. Stranger things, for a guy like me at least, someone born in the 70s and grew up in the '80s and can appreciate all the pop culture references in the series, all the homages to different films in the series, the '80s synthesizer kind of music and everything else that the series offers, just makes it one hell of an incredible show and between that and Ozark and now the karate kid (cobra kai) also being on netflix, it certainly makes my 15 bucks a month money well spent.

Anyway back to the box office. Glad to see minions with a huge number today.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, baumer said:

Okay enough of that, LOL

wouldn’t be BOT without you! 

we all get close to a meltdown now and again in these parts!  Welcome back old friend 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stranger Things is a phenomenal achievement for Duffer brothers. I am amazed they pulled it off for 4 seasons and I am sure they will finish it on a high as well. One thing this has shown is its possible to make something at a scale which is normally a domain for big screen movies. 

That said I hope Netflix does release its movies on big screen for month or 2 before streaming them. Movies need theatrical platform to realize its true potential. They would still have access to it for ever beyond that. But I am not hopeful they will go that route with the current team. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

Okay enough of that, LOL

You're a legend,my

man.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
38 minutes ago, baumer said:

All right here's some random thoughts on my part.

1) First of all make it a year ago but even funnier how about 5 years ago, who would have ever thought any film starring Tom Cruise let alone a Top Gun sequel would pass Titanic domestically? It just doesn't compute. I think it's fantastic for the box office that a film like this has hit the zeitgeist. 

2) But on the flip side of this I also think that because Hollywood is such a copycat business, and rightfully so, there's going to be all kinds of '80s and '90s well liked movies they're going to be given sequels or reboots and I think this one is lightning in a bottle. I don't think you going to have another film do this well at the box office again just because it was a well liked 80s film.

6) Speaking of gremlins I've heard rumors that they are working on a third movie and I would love to see Joe Dante and the rest of the crew come back and make another really good Gremlins film.

😎 And finally I'll end it with a Netflix comment. For me the Six million dollar man will always be the best television show of all time because it's the first TV show that I went absolutely bananas over. The bigfoot episode is the single best episode of TV in the history of TV... in my opinion of course.

But after watching four full seasons of stranger things I really had to question keeping the 6 million dollar man at number one. Stranger things, for a guy like me at least, someone born in the 70s and grew up in the '80s and can appreciate all the pop culture references in the series, all the homages to different films in the series, the '80s synthesizer kind of music and everything else that the series offers, just makes it one hell of an incredible show and between that and Ozark and now the karate kid also being on netflix, it certainly makes my 15 bucks a month money well spent.

Anyway back to the box office. Glad to see minions with a huge number today.

Hmmm

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Stranger Things is a phenomenal achievement for Duffer brothers. I am amazed they pulled it off for 4 seasons and I am sure they will finish it on a high as well. One thing this has shown is its possible to make something at a scale which is normally a domain for big screen movies. 

That said I hope Netflix does release its movies on big screen for month or 2 before streaming them. Movies need theatrical platform to realize its true potential. They would still have access to it for ever beyond that. But I am not hopeful they will go that route with the current team. 

they should put the last episode of season 5 in theatres. Simultaneous with Netflix due to spoilers, but still give the fans the opportunity to get together and see it in its inevitable feature length glory. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I'm with you 1,000%. I would definitely pay to see season 5 on the big screen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Hmmm

I'm not sure what you mean, wb. I just mean I don't think that something is going to gross something astronomical like Top Gun did. I mean if Gremlins three was announced I would probably say it would do 200 million. Passing Titanic is a whole other feat.

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Stranger Things movie could actually do really well in theaters. Potentially 500m or more worldwide 

• Like 1

That's an incredible tuesday, must be lots of holiday spillover.  18.9 for minions per deadline (they just edited the article to 17.53m). On Monday I was thinking it would be down in the 8-9m range on Wed/Thu but now not so sure, 10-ish might be closer.

Edited by MattW

• Community Manager
20 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not sure what you mean, wb. I just mean I don't think that something is going to gross something astronomical like Top Gun did. I mean if Gremlins three was announced I would probably say it would do 200 million. Passing Titanic is a whole other feat.

I think if Gremlins 3 did 200 million especially since it's probably have like a 50 million budget max, the studio would be ecstatic.

• Like 1