Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Amazon, Netflix, and HBOMax are really all you need imo.

Eh if you have kids Disney + is a godsend. Also Paramount Plus is there just cause of it's Nickelodeon collection. Spongebob literally will keep your kids silent for hours.

Peacock is probably the most useless.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1

Is there gonna be a big team up Avengers movie ever again, and if so, am I going to need to watch Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel and shit to know the characters? Or is this all just content for content's sake? I was aggravated sometimes by MCU in its past but in retrospect the MCU's progression towards Endgame was brilliant in its simplicity.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I still contend that the real danger of streaming that only a few saw and never was really talked about is that it is a beast that must be fed a never ending stream of content.  Week after week.  Month after month.  Year after year.  

Theatrical doesn't really have that problem, mostly because there is only so much you can stuff into it due to the calendar and a limited number of theaters and screens.  

You only used to have 3 channels to produce television content for.  Then we went to cable, but most didn't actually produce original content.  Then they did, but even that was still somewhat limited.  

Streaming is just a different animal, and every service that comes on line makes it all that much worse, because to compete with everyone you must pump out show after show.  

For example, we went a 16 year period without a single bit of Star Wars content (not counting a couple Ewoks direct to video movies).  Then we had 6 hours of it (the Prequels) for the next 16 years years.  Add in another 10 hours for the next 4 years.  

16 hours of Star Wars live action content in 36 years.  22 hours if you count the original trilogy in 42 years.  

Now since the end of 2019 until the end of 2022, you are going to have something like 50 hours of live content with a ton more on the way.  

22 hours in 42 years.  50 hours in 3 years.  

Yeah, I question how long the churn and burn model remains sustainable.

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The MCU is also on this course, albeit they've had more content in recent years than SW has overall.

MCU 2008-2019 = 50 Hours

MCU 2021-2022 = ~58 Hours  

If you extrapolate that out, then we're looking at 7 times as much MCU content in the second 11 years as the first 11. 

The other thing I want to point out with all of the Star Wars and MCU content, is you have to ask yourself how did all of this stuff become insanely popular and beloved by generations of people?  

It wasn't by people watching it once and then moving on to the next thing.  They watched the movies over and over and over again.

If you are pumping out 50 hours of content a year, how many people can watch all of it even once?  How many can watch it over and over?  

It's going to (and I think it already is) wear people out.  I waited for a Moon Knight show my whole life.  The lead actor is one of my favorite actors.  I still haven't watched past the 2nd episode.  I never got around to watching Hawkeye.  Haven't touched Ms. Marvel and no fucking chance I am going to get to She Hulk.  

I watched the first episode of Obi-Wan and that is it.  Just finally finished The Book of Boba Fett.  No idea when or if I will get to Andor when it comes out, and not long after that comes Mandalorian Season 3 and good luck at finding time for Ashoka.  

It's too damn much, and that is just ONE streaming service.  I about puke thinking about starting Stranger Things or finally getting past the middle of the 2nd season of Ozark or giving The Terminal List a chance.  

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Uh.... what?  Obi-Wan had a good response.  Boba Fett wasn't a great response, but it was fine.  

Obi was mixed to positive.

Book of boba fett was pretty much mixed lol.

Visions reception was fine

Mando is the best thing to come out of the disney starwars shows and the rest don't come close in reception.

Mando may have made many think lucasfilm is ok but it's still in a sort of a limbo.

Taika 's movie will have to survive on it's merit ,no nostalgia or fanservicy to lean on like the skywalker saga.

If it ain't good . It can flop . Solo showed that starwars ain't as bullet proof .

This is a multi billion dollar franchise and don't let good streaming numbers fool  you. If the movies underperform or flop that is not good .It can easily get relegated to streaming which is not great for such a big franchise.

Sure lucasfilm did good on the mandalorian but it's first major test will be the taika film and how that performs at the box office.

Nothing beats the exposure ,good will and revenue generated by well received and successful theatrical films.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

For example, we went a 16 year period without a single bit of Star Wars content (not counting a couple Ewoks direct to video movies).  Then we had 6 hours of it (the Prequels) for the next 16 years years.  Add in another 10 hours for the next 4 years.  

16 hours of Star Wars live action content in 36 years.  22 hours if you count the original trilogy in 42 years.  

Now since the end of 2019 until the end of 2022, you are going to have something like 50 hours of live content with a ton more on the way.  

First world problems obviously, and I'm sure that the youths are probably fine with all this, but I feel it has to suck to be a kid who wants to get into Marvel or Star Wars or DC these days. Things have gotten so insular that if you just want to watch a new Star Wars show or a new Marvel movie, you have to spend hours of your time watching everything that came before it just so you can get an idea on what's going on and get invested in the story. And by the time you're done, you now have to get to the next new piece of content where you have to catch up on everything yet again.Kids now have to spend tons of their free time doing homework just to enjoy a 2 hour movie or 6 episode TV show. Do these execs not realize that homework sucks and kids hate it? At least this will hopefully lead to a rebirth of New Hollywood...hopefully...maybe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

The MCU is also on this course, albeit they've had more content in recent years than SW has overall.

MCU 2008-2019 = 50 Hours

MCU 2021-2022 = ~58 Hours  

If you extrapolate that out, then we're looking at 7 times as much MCU content in the second 11 years as the first 11. 

It's crazy, and the very reason I have always said from the start that streaming is a false god that will devour itself due to an insatiable appetite that it demands.  

Theatrical has 52 weeks in a year.  It on average needs about 400 hours of content per year on a wide and semi-wide or larger limited release basis to be healthy.  

What does streaming need every year?  Netflix alone in 2021 released over THREE THOUSAND hours of original content.  Now add up the rest on Disney+, Prime, HBOMax, Paramount+, Peacock and more.  

It's fucking insane and not sustainable.  

• Like 4

Beyond the MCU and Star Wars there's just wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much TV now, period, full stop, I haven't even watched the final season of Ozark because I got too much other shit I'm trying to catch up on, one useless hour while working at a time. Heck, Apple TV apparently has a great new true crime show debuting today, so the pile just grows larger. Miss the days when the only TV choice I had to make was Sunday, 9pm - am I watching Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones? Streaming ruined everything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

First world problems obviously, and I'm sure that the youths are probably fine with all this, but I feel it has to suck to be a kid who wants to get into Marvel or Star Wars or DC these days. Things have gotten so insular that if you just want to watch a new Star Wars show or a new Marvel movie, you have to spend hours of your time watching everything that came before it just so you can get an idea on what's going on and get invested in the story. And by the time you're done, you now have to get to the next new piece of content where you have to catch up on everything yet again.Kids now have to spend tons of their free time doing homework just to enjoy a 2 hour movie or 6 episode TV show. Do these execs not realize that homework sucks and kids hate it? At least this will hopefully lead to a rebirth of New Hollywood...hopefully...maybe.

I agree with this so much, and one of the main reasons I am currently watching Goodfellas as I type this and not trying to catch up on Ms. Marvel or Obi-Wan.