Eric Prime

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

Another B+ for Marvel.

Phase 4 has already more number of mixed and poorly recieved movies by both critics and audiences than whole MCU combined till Phase 3.

MCU was the last brand I thought would struggle like this. Thor will barely make 140m ow  ,what's even the point anymore of these sequels if they are so divisive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The only under A- Cinemascore the MCU has had prior to 2021 was Thor 1 (B+). 

Now 3 of their last 4 releases have been in B range: Thor (B+), Doctor Strange (B+), and Eternals (B)

Audience are turning on MCU. This is what happens when you forget to add story to the movie and just random cool shots like some b grade action OTT franchise. 

7 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Marvel or Star Wars or DC these days

Pretty much just Marvel at this point.

I didn't feel the need to look at anything but the movies for Star Wars. And Joker and The Batman were not based on anything outside a general understanding of the character.

I do think we've officially reached "oversaturation" levels with the MCU now that they're pumping out TV shows left and right. One of the reasons the series has lasted and remained as popular as it has is because it was a cool concept to have a movie franchise where it was one giant connected universe (while still allowing everyone to have their chance to shine individually). Doesn't help that the run of TV shows hasn't been all that great either overall. I still haven't watched any of Ms. Marvel and honestly doubt I'll get around to it when there's so much else I'd rather catch up on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Don’t really get the appeal of TV.  Potentially a hundred or so episodes for a story that could like be told in a 2 hour movie? And where do people get the time to watch all these shows?

Honestly same.

but I waste all my time doing other things.

• Like 1

Are people of the belief that the pandemic has changed how audiences view TV/Streaming/Movies now? I think it has, because it's taught people to be patient and wait a time they normally wouldn't wait. 45 days is not a lot to wait for a movie to hit a streaming service.

I will be honest and say that a lot of times now I will just wait until a season finishes airing before bingewatching all of it. The only ones I didn't do this for are Obi Wan and Stranger Things.

The Marvel shows honestly need to stop the 6 episode model, it really ruins the pace of the show. I don't know why they stopped the 8/9 episode which to me was the perfect amount. 

Each Marvel show has followed the same formula. Solid for the first 2-3 episode takes a massive nosedive the following 2 episodes then recovers for a very well done finale.

Then you got excellent shows like The Boys that give you a quality 8 episodes and TBH the Boys and Invisible crap all over the other MCU shows.

I feel the same way about video games as TV nowadays btw, I used to just pop a game in and play it and beat that shit, now every game is fucking endless bullshit where I have to climb towers in an open world for no reason, and you have to spend hours downloading it and only get like 20 percent of the game at launch. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Beyond the MCU and Star Wars there's just wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much TV now, period, full stop, I haven't even watched the final season of Ozark because I got too much other shit I'm trying to catch up on, one useless hour while working at a time. Heck, Apple TV apparently has a great new true crime show debuting today, so the pile just grows larger. Miss the days when the only TV choice I had to make was Sunday, 9pm - am I watching Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones? Streaming ruined everything.

Agreed, and one of the reasons again I am so utterly confident in theatrical not only surviving, but thriving in the years to come.  It has been refreshing not watching nearly as many tv series since theaters re-opened and only having 4-5 movies per month to look forward to.  

Head to the theater, feels like an event and sit back in a comfortable recliner, shut off the phone and have something to eat and drink while I zone out with little to no distractions.  

I love it so much.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Now 3 of their last 4 releases have been in B range: Thor (B+), Doctor Strange (B+), and Eternals (B)

After SC, MCU had 0 Bs in past 20 movies

Now 3 Disney MCU in a row :Venom:

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Life is too short to spend all this work catching up on TV. James Caan is dead and I'm gonna watch the Godfather for the 100th time instead of Moon Knight, fuck it.

Instead of Moon Knight, you should watch Ozark. A very high quality drama.

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Instead of Moon Knight, you should watch Ozark. A very high quality drama.

Eh, Season 1 and 2 mediocre and Season 4 fairly meh so far from what I did watch. Season 3 is great though, that brother character has the highest wins above replacement of any TV character in a long time. Dude killed it.

Edited by Cmasterclay

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Star Wars curse , Feige project announced Sept 2019

• Like 1