Eric is Quiet

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER WEEKEND THREAD | The hammer swings down with 144.2 DOM, 302 WW, the 3rd-biggest 2022 opening | Minions 46.1, TGM 15.5, Elvis 11.2, JWD 8.6

20 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Babylon will via Oscar buzz. Amsterdam sounds like a disaster lol 

Why? Because of years-old allegations that most moviegoers have no clue about? The amazing cast alone, not to mention a story about a little known coup attempt against FDR? I'm stoked for it. 

3 minutes ago, Driver said:

Why? Because of years-old allegations that most moviegoers have no clue about? The amazing cast alone, not to mention a story about a little known coup attempt against FDR? I'm stoked for it. 

No because the movie is terrible and has had awful test screenings for the last 10 months

Thought this would be a good time to add this here; the tracking thread was nearly spot on with True Friday number, and they are seeing strong Saturday and Sunday numbers, looking more like 145-150 million weekend at the moment. If that pans out, this is even more likely to hit 350 million+ given it can make it there with a 2.42 Mulitiplier just off of 145 million OW.
And again, July weekdays! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Panda said:

One of the rarest feats a franchise can pull is four+ quality movies in a row.

I can think of only:

mission: impossible (all of them)

fast and furious (4, 5, 6, 7)

Star Wars (ROTS, TFA, RO, TLJ)

MCU should be broken out into multiple franchises, not a singular one. But even as a singular one its best unbroken quality run is (Ragnarok, black Panther, IW)

Okay; I was correct. The guardians of the galaxy have a good four movie run (GOTG1 - GOTG2 - IW - Endgame) if you count EG as a guardians movie

13 minutes ago, The Panda said:

One of the rarest feats a franchise can pull is four+ quality movies in a row.

I can think of only:

mission: impossible (all of them)

fast and furious (4, 5, 6, 7)

Star Wars (ROTS, TFA, RO, TLJ)

MCU should be broken out into multiple franchises, not a singular one. But even as a singular one its best unbroken quality run is (Ragnarok, black Panther, IW)

Star Wars: 6

Harry Potter: 9

MCU: 15 if counting meh/passable stuff as not quality, 27 if counting meh/passable stuff as quality

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

but they are not mini series. they are series. all of them save WV are getting second seasons. WV was the only mini. It's easier to churn out 3 short multi-season series than 1 long multi-season series. The point is to have more shows for audience to choose from, hence shortness or, as you say, splitting movies in 6 parts. That's how they inflate D+ content. Instead of 20 episode Walking Dead, they have Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel (6 episodes x 3 = 18 episodes). Boom. D+ gets 3 shows instead of 1. That will get more seasons. It's really a blend between binge format (short season series) and weekly release.

No it's not easier. Cause things like loki and Wanda vision are high budget series with a big post production, they are connected to the movies for the big screen so they need a lot more attention and efforts by "feige and his people". 

Do you remember how they changed part of the screen play of Doctor strange while it was in the set because of what was happening in Wanda?. 

I'm talking exactly about this. It's like doing another movie. 

Things like agents of shield can have 22 episodes by they are made "by other people". They are in the same universe, they can have some connection but they are they own train and you can let other people to work on them.

Nowy  the same people have to control every step of every tv series and movie. 

9 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Thought this would be a good time to add this here; the tracking thread was nearly spot on with True Friday number, and they are seeing strong Saturday and Sunday numbers, looking more like 145-150 million weekend at the moment. If that pans out, this is even more likely to hit 350 million+ given it can make it there with a 2.42 Mulitiplier just off of 145 million OW.
And again, July weekdays! 

I thought it was fairly flat today? 

18 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

No because the movie is terrible and has had awful test screenings for the last 10 months

I don't trust test screenings. Link? 

On 7/8/2022 at 3:23 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Elvis will go over 90m this weekend. Is next weekend the 15-17th when it hits 100? Even if Crawdads takes some adult audience away 

Crawdads shouldn't have that much impact unless it opens like Gone Girl. I think Bullet Train will hurt it more.

TV just does drama better now. I haven’t seen any movie in the last ten years that scratched that itch like Mad Men or Succession did. Of course it’s also confirmation bias because good tv means I go to the cinema less. 

Edited by Hatebox

21 minutes ago, Driver said:

I don't trust test screenings. Link? 

They're all over Letterboxd and articles/blogs have posted about them. They should be a grain of salt of course but feels like people don't trust them when they don't align with expectations. And DOR's last movie was a gigantic flop and disappointment

37 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Star Wars: 6

Harry Potter: 9

MCU: 15 if counting meh/passable stuff as not quality, 27 if counting meh/passable stuff as quality

Imo

Potter’s best run is 3 (2 and 5 are bad)

MCU’s best run as a whole is Thor-TFA-TA-IM3. But single character runs it’s GOTG with 3 GOTG1-GOTG2-IW/EG (I’m counting IW/EG as half each since they’re not really guardians movies, especially not EG)

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Interesting that test screens for Amsterdam haven't been very good. I thought the trailer looked awesome.

Me too. It was my favorite trailer of the bunch that preceded Thor.