grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

2 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

To be fair, I think they pushed Red Notice much harder when it came to its theatrical release due to the fact the box office in recovery mode (and also was originally supposed to be a major studio release). This is clearly being used to prop up subscriptions with the most bare minimum theatrical push they could afford.

8 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Is Deadline engaging in revisionist history? Was 130M ever a serious estimate last weekend post the preview numbers? From previews, a lot of people expected 160M+

While the Taika Waititi-directed movie improved beyond its high $130M estimates last weekend into the $144M range

Edited by grim22

15 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Thor: L&T is not meeting expectations. After Strange 2, this  is a trend that will hopefully not be followed by BP2.

Missing China box office is not helping the optics. China would have helped with the final numbers to look better

China numbers would have been bad, all the phase 4 movies have bad ratings in China even Spider-Man no way home rating is just 6.6 at douban, in comparison lowest rated phase 3 movie in China was Black Panther with 6.5 rating.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

People tell me there's a plan but man..   not sure now.  So far phase 4 just a bunch of random average (or even bad) solos.   X-Men and/or FF can't come soon enough. 

There is plan alright . But fiege is being stretched by all the projects esp on D+ to make that precious content to avoid churn.

Too much is going on.

If you told me in 2020 that my favorite characters in phase 4 are Kate bishop and ms marvel from small side marvel shows above all the continuing and main line and movie characters, I would call you crazy but there it is.

Phase 4 is lacking a clearly defined central theme sure bits are there but it's all hazy.

Need a face at the forefront. 

Tony and cap were clearly that for the infinity saga.

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

And then Empire city is the troll?

Exactly how is attitude a way to have a conversation and not trolling people there are expressing their point of view?.

He doesn't want this conversation but you keep going, i think that's the point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

If you are gonna drop $200 million on a movie then a 45 day theatrical release should go along with it, i genuinely cannot imagine Gray Man is getting Netflix any subscription increases of any significance

No movies or tv series can give you boost subscriptions at this point. The market is over sature. People make a subscription this month because of a new movie and the next month they're gonna unsubscribe cause the most interesting thing is on Prime, Apple tv or Disney Plus.

This is why now they're working on changes in the platform bussiness model now (new price with ads etc,,), this is the thing right now can make a impact in the subsciption numbers, more than the contents. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He doesn't want this conversation but you keep going, i think that's the point.

if he doesn't want a conversation why he wrote an answer lol

nobody asked for it. Maybe you lost he did it twice. 

if someone say something right or wrong to you just quote it with okay is big way of trolling lol 

It's ok but then they say others love the flame. 

Edited by vale9001

9 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

If you are gonna drop $200 million on a movie then a 45 day theatrical release should go along with it, i genuinely cannot imagine Gray Man is getting Netflix any subscription increases of any significance

that's also what Pixar movies cost and Disney's being stupid. 😒

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Is Deadline engaging in revisionist history? Was 130M ever a serious estimate last weekend post the preview numbers? From previews, a lot of people expected 160M+

It’s not revisionist, Deadline said $135-$145M on Saturday morning, but that was probably an overly pessimistic range anyway 

41 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

It's so simple about Crawdads.

(Male) critics hate sentimental movies,  I mean unapologetically sentimental movies. That's a genre, so they should be able to distinguish the better from the worst movies in this genre but they hated everything from Pretty Woman to Ghost until The Notebook and The greatest Showman. 

And those are literally the most loved unapologetically sentimental movies of all time. 

When you read the critics list of best gangster movies the 90% of it is the same of the most beloved movies by audiences. 

When you read the critics list of the best sentimental movies well they are nor really sentimental cause that is weak,  you got these romantic indie movies nobody cares about lol

Crawdads is a perfect produced movie not only for fan of the book but for all the fan of the genre. 

The Greatest Showman has a 56% on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning more than half of critics appreciated it for its sentimentality. Pretty Woman has a fresh 65%, Ghost has a certified fresh 75%, The Notebook has a slightly-more-than-half 53%.

Crawdads has a 34%. So even if it IS affected by anti-sentimentality bias (even if I would say there are plenty of unapologetically sentimental movies that critics straight up loved), it's still far below the other movies you mentioned as being unfairly judged for their sentimentality. A fair number of critics who enjoyed the aforementioned movies disliked this one.

Also, on the point of your parenthetical reference to male critics: by my quick count, the number of women and nonbinary critics who disliked the film is still solidly more than those that liked it. Male critics may have disliked it slightly more (though I don't think the sample size of women/NB critics is enough to conclude that), but either way less than half enjoyed it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

And then Empire city is the troll?

Exactly how is attitude a way to have a conversation and not trolling people there are expressing their point of view?.

Maybe people presenting subjective opinions as un-nuanced factual certainties is what rubs people the wrong way, as you did in your post about reviews

That’s not “having a conversation” ie putting for a plausible thesis forward for consideration, it’s dictating from on high 

• Thanks 1