grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Just watched Dominion. With all due respect to @Brainbug, it was very very bad. Somehow made Fallen Kingdom look like a good movie.

If i take away my dino-fan-glasses, i see a 4/10 movie if i look at Dominion and thats generous. The editing is horrific at times, the dialogue was seemingly written in one day without further re-writes and the locust plot - while i totally get Trevorrows intention here - was a mistake in my opinion. People dont pay their dino dollars for locusts.

Still, its a 9/10 movie, it has dinosaurs, Alan Grant, Ian Malcolm and Ellie Sattler in it. Yeah, its close to a Masterpiece.

Listen, ive seen it 16 times in theaters. That so much money i could have spent in a bit more logical way. I need to justify all this. Dominion = Great movie.

Btw, in all honesty, i really like the movie but i can see its massive flaws, so i can understand anyone who hates it.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Thor seems like 18-18.25

Minions 10.1

Crawdads 5.5

Fury 2.2

Hmm not a bad sat at all for crawdads. If it can stick to 4.5+ for 17+ that will look nice.

Thor like 45.5, could have been worse I guess. We'll see if it can stabilize some next week to reach 340ish or another big drop for 320ish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ethan Edwards said:

Ah yes, expecting decent behaviour from someone is really too much...

You know who acts like a child?

Someone who treats others like a jerk. Also someone who thinks that any sort of repercussions for your own behaviour are akin to silencing someone. Or who thinks that others act like children because they don't like being insulted. Or who thinks he is the only "older" person and everyone else is just too young to know better, while knowing zero about the people he is trying to interact with. None of that is stuff that an adult should think, because it couldn't be more immature.

Someone who has four kids and has been married for 30 years should know fully well that "actions have consequences" has existed for millenia. Pretending that it is something new is just absurd. No, people aren't suddenly getting "silenced", nor is expecting decent behaviour something new either. Thousands upon thousands of years of human history, in which people got put in their place for acting out of order, but yes, clearly that whole concept is something entirely new :rolleyes:

The whole post reads like a tantrum from a petulant child mixed with the rant of an old person who was never taught to self-reflect. Everyone is wrong, how dare anyone expect people to abide by rules, I get to insult others but no one say a word back at me!

All finished by whiningly stomping your foot on the ground and taking your ball to go home.

A grown up treats others with respect. And yes, sometimes things might get a bit heated, but then go and cool off. And if you step over the line, you own up to it. You sure as heck don't pretend that you own the world and get to say whatever you want wherever you want. Nor do you whine and storm off because someone actually dares to want people to abide by commonly accepted rules that have been around for ages. I mean, do you seriously think that people getting banned from a message board was something new?

These kind of boards are private places, the people who run it have every right to set basic rules, as is true in the real world as well. I've been on the internet for 25+ years or so. Not once was there a time where message boards didn't have mods, or didn't ban people who thought the rules where beneath them. It certainly wasn't the case on the old Box Office Mojo boards either. While things did get out of hand, and moderation was all over the place, there was still quite a few bans when the mods desired to go for it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Still, its a 9/10 movie, it has dinosaurs, Alan Grant, Ian Malcolm and Ellie Sattler in it. Yeah, its close to a Masterpiece.

She’s worth an extra rating point alone. Legend. 

17 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Hmm not a bad sat at all for crawdads. If it can stick to 4.5+ for 17+ that will look nice.

Thor like 45.5, could have been worse I guess. We'll see if it can stabilize some next week to reach 340ish or another big drop for 320ish.

I agree, I think it’s a decent start for Crawdads. Increasing slightly from true Friday is a good sign too. A total of $45-50m seems likely and it’ll end up profitable. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Listen, ive seen it 16 times in theaters. That so much money i could have spent in a bit more logical way. I need to justify all this. Dominion = Great movie.

For the cost of just 15 tickets to a stupid dinosaur movie, you too can help us end world hunger by donating to the Giant Locust Research Council.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

If i take away my dino-fan-glasses, i see a 4/10 movie if i look at Dominion and thats generous. The editing is horrific at times, the dialogue was seemingly written in one day without further re-writes and the locust plot - while i totally get Trevorrows intention here - was a mistake in my opinion. People dont pay their dino dollars for locusts.

Btw, in all honesty, i really like the movie but i can see its massive flaws, so i can understand anyone who hates it.

I respect this so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

you can't really on one hand call EmpireCity irrelavent then have his numbers in the title, seems like he's living rent free in your heads

Perhaps it would be prudent to ask first before making assumptions? You do understand that other people also have access plus the studio itself releases estimates? Having Friday numbers on Saturday is nothing out of the ordinary. This should be common sense to someone like you who is a long member of this board. But I suppose you deemed making snarky comments more appropriate. 

I would have thought that the weekday thread had taught people not to make assumptions and rant without knowing the full picture. Perhaps I was wrong. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Perhaps it would be prudent to ask first before making assumptions? You do understand that other people also have access plus the studio itself releases estimates? Having Friday numbers on Saturday is nothing out of the ordinary. 

I would have thought that the weekday thread had taught people not to make assumptions and rant without knowing the full picture. Perhaps I was wrong. 

Charlie said on the previous page that he got these numbers from Empire. I think that’s why Empire is tweeting about it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Posttrak is strong as well. 4.5 stars, 87% positive, 70% recommend.

Cinemascore A-. With the empty months coming in general and particularly for adult dramas targeted to women with a 17-19M first weekend 60M final should be reachable. 

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

5/10 is my rating too, i just felt that Dinosaurs were sidelined in a Dinosaur movie. Which didn't sit well for me. Couldn't care less about Bugs & Maisie plot.

One thing that i can say with happiness that Atleast Colin Treverow doesn't treat OG Trio like SW treated Luke, GOT S8 treated Dany and almost any character not named Stark, MoM treated Wanda and MCU has been treating Dr Strange since IW.

It's not perfect, but i loved the portrayal of the trio and subsequent character interactions in the movie.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

Crawdads numbers are important cause romantic movies and romantic comedies are really disappearing from the big screen.

This shows with a successfull source and with a low level budget (so no 80-90M budget like Downton Abbey or Death on the Nile) adult drama targeted to women can still be profitable also on the big screen. 

It's a shame The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo is becoming a Netflix movie. This is also a huge phenomenon and bestseller and even more appealing  to young women than Crawdads. 

I read another book clubs favorite  All the light we cannot see is becoming a netflix miniseries directed by Shawn Levy. This is a shame too. I want more adult dramas on the big screen. 

• Like 1

So Black Phone is already available on Apple TV. That's too bad. Would have been interesting to see how high it would go with a full run.