grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Well don't talk to me like I'm 12 years old and wasn't alive when The Dark Knight came out. As I mentioned I love The Dark Knight I think it's one of the 25 best movies ever made and the hype for it was massive even before Heath Ledger died. I admit all of that. But there was also a massive amount of backlash when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker. People were actually pissed saying he was not right for the role.

And that's not even getting into the psychology of someone's death. As I mentioned the Dark Knight would have done gangbusters business regardless of whether or not he was alive or dead. I'm simply stating that there was a curiosity factor and was also a perfect storm of terrific reviews for the movie, his outstanding performance that was talked about before it's release and of course the curiosity factor of his death. All of that led up to the Dark Knight doing amazing business.

I rewatched all of Nolan’s movies pretty much back to back last summer. Whilst I personally would put Dunkirk at No.1, I’d be hard pushed to argue Dark Knight isn’t his greatest film.  It’s an extraordinary film and BY MILES the best film based on a comic book character since Donner’s Superman. 

I recall opening night and that chase through Gotham - absolute nirvana. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I rewatched all of Nolan’s movies pretty much back to back last summer. Whilst I personally would put Dunkirk at No.1, I’d be hard pushed to argue Dark Knight isn’t his greatest film.  It’s an extraordinary film and BY MILES the best film based on a comic book character since Donner’s Superman. 

I recall opening night and that chase through Gotham - absolute nirvana. 

I was really blown away by TDK and it affected me emotionally as well. One of the biggest shocks for me. I had no idea it would be so incredible.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

I was really blown away by TDK and it affected me emotionally as well. One of the biggest shocks for me. I had no idea it would be so incredible.

everytime I watch that middle section of the movie, when the batpod gets going, it takes me back to the electricity in the theatre. That’s the kind of moment I often talk about when saying how theatrical experiences imprint on you for how you watch the same movie forever. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

TDK was the first movie I saw in theaters more than once (3x).

I have seen The Batman and Top Gun Maverick twice in theaters this year. For both films, I saw them once in IMAX and once in Dolby. The lack of new movie releases is pretty much the primary obstacle preventing me from going to the movies more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric Odinson said:

Boy you are too young to be in here. Go back to your kindergarten class

not my problem that the sub is a retirement house

Edited by AnDr3s
  • Haha 6
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

TDK was the first movie I saw in theaters more than once (3x).

Still holds the record for most times I've seen a film in theaters.

3x (each day of its opening weekend) and then a 4th time in IMAX.

Not sure if I've ever seen another film even three times in theaters tbh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Still holds the record for most times I've seen a film in theaters.

3x (each day of its opening weekend) and then a 4th time in IMAX.

Not sure if I've ever seen another film even three times in theaters tbh.

Everything I've seen 3x or more in theaters goes....

TDK = 3x 

The Avengers = 3x

Guardians of the Galaxy = 3x

The Force Awakens = 5x 

Avengers: Infinity War = 5x 

Avengers: Endgame = 3x