grim22

Weekend thread 7/15-7/17 | Actuals: Thor 4 46.63M, Minions 26.83, Crawdads 17.25, TGM 12.26, Elvis 8, Paws of Fury 6.31

35 minutes ago, Noctis said:

This isn't accurate. Sorcerer's Stone had 56m admissions. DH2 had VERY low 3D shares for its time and easily did 42m+ admissions.

Around 40% of Deathly Hallows was in 3D. ATP will be around $10-10.25.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

You can't deny that ledgers death certainly helped get people into the theater. But that doesn't take away from the fact that the Dark Knight at least in my opinion is one of the greatest movies of all time and it would have done well even if heath was alive.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, baumer said:

You can't deny that ledgers death certainly helped get people into the theater

I can, and I am. For 14 years. Heath Ledger wasn't a superstar in 2008, the Joker character was. And hype for TDK was already huge after IMAX prologue and the 1st trailer one month before his death. Even if this tragedy never happen, film could have done the very same numbers it did. Shame we don't have any multiverse device to check that out, but for me chances that TDK would have gross 158.4/533.3 even if Heath was alive are the same as when he died. Luckily nothing similiar happen with Jurassic World in 2015 and now with TGM, so people can't deny that some films once in a while just massively break out (for many reasons).

Edited by Juby
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Before release, $400M WW would have been around the top end of the most optimistic predictions

dont exaggerate too much

a tom cruise action movie based on a popular franchise was never doing just 300 million ww , I had it down for 600 million  

• Like 2

Btw for anyone who dropped off, Westworld is back to being great! I couldn't be happier. Season 3 is looking a strange misstep now. They've struck that balance between clarity in storytelling and clever narrative conceits that made Season 1 work so well. It's good to have it back on form. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, baumer said:

You can't deny that ledgers death certainly helped get people into the theater. But that doesn't take away from the fact that the Dark Knight at least in my opinion is one of the greatest movies of all time and it would have done well even if heath was alive.

I think the film would have done better if Ledger had still been alive as he would have been the subject of a massive media and PR campaign as the public was obsessed with his performance that summer. I think WB dialed back promotion for the film so as not to appear as using his death to make money (or at least less so).

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The aggregate gross of this weekend stand at around 130m. If Nope can’t deliver, this coming weekend will be the first sub-100m in 8 weekend since MLK.

Nope will only need like 25M or something, easy.

17 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

dont exaggerate too much

a tom cruise action movie based on a popular franchise was never doing just 300 million ww , I had it down for 600 million  

He is not exaggerating without china max bo would be 500m.

30 minutes ago, Juby said:

I can, and I am. For 14 years. Heath Ledger wasn't a superstar in 2008, the Joker character was. And hype for TDK was already huge after IMAX prologue and the 1st trailer one month before his death. Even if this tragedy never happen, film could have done the very same numbers it did. Shame we don't have any multiverse device to check that out, but for me chances that TDK would have gross 158.4/533.3 even if Heath was alive are the same as when he died. Luckily nothing similiar happen with Jurassic World in 2015 and now with TGM, so people can't deny that some films once in a while just massively break out (for many reasons).

Well don't talk to me like I'm 12 years old and wasn't alive when The Dark Knight came out. As I mentioned I love The Dark Knight I think it's one of the 25 best movies ever made and the hype for it was massive even before Heath Ledger died. I admit all of that. But there was also a massive amount of backlash when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker. People were actually pissed saying he was not right for the role.

And that's not even getting into the psychology of someone's death. As I mentioned the Dark Knight would have done gangbusters business regardless of whether or not he was alive or dead. I'm simply stating that there was a curiosity factor and was also a perfect storm of terrific reviews for the movie, his outstanding performance that was talked about before it's release and of course the curiosity factor of his death. All of that led up to the Dark Knight doing amazing business.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I think it would have done even better, tbh. He would have been catapulted to another level of movie star had he been alive to enjoy its success. 

5 hours ago, stripe said:

It's much more than that! There is a perception that the creators of the series are not faithful to the source material, to the essence of the world imagined by Tolkien. Many characters are invented and they feel untolkienish; it looks like they have condensed 3,000 years of Middle-earth history in a couple of episodes... Everything has a Game of Thrones flair that is far from what the fan expects. The fan perceives a lack of respect towards the original work and a clear intention to squeeze commercially and in any way a world they love.
Anyways, I'm sceptical about RoP but I prefer to watch it before panning the series.

The biggest red flag to me is the look of the Numenoreans, it doesn't look Tolkienish to me.  Nothing about those costumes says "Ancient, incredibly powerful and advanced race of men"... FFS these are the guys that effortlessly destroyed Sauron's armies and took him prisoner when he conquered the Elves and most of Middle Earth yet they look like something out of a Star Trek episode.

Edited by Ozymandias

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The biggest red flag to me is the look of the Numenoreans, it doesn't look Tolkienish to me.  Nothing about those costumes says "Ancient, incredibly powerful and advanced race of men"... FFS these are the guys that effortlessly destroyed Sauron's armies and took him prisoner when he conquered the Elves and most of Middle Earth yet they look like something out of a Star Trek episode.

I'm going to watch the new series but with a lot of trepidation. I think the problem with remaking Lord of the rings series is at the last film was 18 years ago. And you're talking about one of the all-time classics series that pretty much everybody loved. We all know who aragorn and Legolas and gimli and Sauron and Gandalf is and how they were played in the actors who portrayed them. You're taking an awfully big chance by remaking it this quickly and then fudging with the story as well.

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

Btw for anyone who dropped off, Westworld is back to being great! I couldn't be happier. Season 3 is looking a strange misstep now. They've struck that balance between clarity in storytelling and clever narrative conceits that made Season 1 work so well. It's good to have it back on form. 

Waiting until I move apartments and set up my new 4k TV to watch the new season. Have heard good things so far.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1