XXR vs XXR

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever — International Box Office Thread

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It was cultural phenomenon dom only. Not OS. OS was IW driven. OS doesn't care about American culture specifics which is why Peele flops OS for example. I'm talking about OS only hence a bit of confusion. BP made less OS than dom and that ratio was always going to be a problem going forward. Franchises grow mostly thanks to OS so if a movie skews dom that can point at potential lack of growth OS in the future. 

I don't think you can attribute BP's OS success to IW only. Because BP was very successful in African countries and others too also it was praised universally. And as I mentioned before WF didn't have Chadwick and other issues also WC among other things. My point is WF might not have dropped this much under different circumstances. Marvels movie box office will definitely come down since it was mostly tied with endgame.

Edited by Nero
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 12:39 PM, Nero said:

I don't think you can attribute BP's OS success to IW only. Because BP was very successful in African countries and others too also it was praised universally. And as I mentioned before WF didn't have Chadwick and other issues also WC among other things. My point is WF might not have dropped this much under different circumstances. Marvels movie box office will definitely come down since it was mostly tied with endgame.

Yeah the movie had good reviews and grossed particularly well in African countries plus Usa and UK, but excluding the United States for example it grossed less than Civil War, Captain Marvel, Far From Home and even Doctor Strange 2 if you exclude China.

It would still be the 11th highest grossing MCU movie which for a secondary character is incredible, but the domestic market really helped it

And I totally agree that the closest films to Kang and Secret Wars will benefit a lot from their presence

Edited by MG10

Was just curious as Russian topic here is now locked, I hear in another place that they play Wakanda Forever in Russia.

Could this be same situation as WB had with Batman this year that it was played in Russian cinemas illegally?

This website shows BP:WF made $2,937,431 Russia/CIS.
Or these are number from CIS locations: Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Ukraine? Anybody have any info on this?

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2022/11/25/Russia-(CIS)

39 minutes ago, adaros said:

Was just curious as Russian topic here is now locked, I hear in another place that they play Wakanda Forever in Russia.

Could this be same situation as WB had with Batman this year that it was played in Russian cinemas illegally?

This website shows BP:WF made $2,937,431 Russia/CIS.
Or these are number from CIS locations: Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Ukraine? Anybody have any info on this?

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2022/11/25/Russia-(CIS)

CIS

• Like 1

I really think what’s happening to this movie will happen also to The Marvels I think The Marvels will be affected more because it will probably be worse, but I’m confident (like Black Panther 2) will experience a large decrease without the big Avengers movies to prop them up

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Flip said:

I really think what’s happening to this movie will happen also to The Marvels I think The Marvels will be affected more because it will probably be worse, but I’m confident (like Black Panther 2) will experience a large decrease without the big Avengers movies to prop them up

Yeah I was thiking about 700/800M WW, compared to the 900M it made without China and Russia

5 minutes ago, XXR 4 Modsident said:

Better OS % drop than domestic though, which is surprising. 

not really surprising. MCU has grown from what it was before IW.

Biggest OS downer for this and L&T was Korea. MCU need to get back Korea.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

Because dom number was much higher when you remove China and Russia from OS equation. 700M vs 557M. of course that dom drop was going to be bigger. And that's without adjusting dom to inflation. 

Looking at OS numbers, only Mexico increased and India and Indonesia stayed flat. Everything else dropped. Korean drop is wow. From 77M to 16.4M. The power of Infinity War indeed. UK dropped by half. Ditto Brazil. People really didn't care for this one. 

29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

not really surprising. MCU has grown from what it was before IW.

Biggest OS downer for this and L&T was Korea. MCU need to get back Korea.

Sure but as Valonqar mentioned, it saw a lot of big drops in major OS markets + BP had an outsized run domestically so it was somewhat expected that BPWF would enjoy some of that due to demographics. It didn't though. So it's still surprising to me 🤷‍♂️

Lot of factors for the underwhelming performance. Poor marketing, very late trailer, albeit it got good reaction. Lack of action buried it in many markets. Also the World Cup is on. You came out after watching that it was a filler, not a film warranting multiple viewings. That said it was a decent film, so this franchise is not in trouble. Third one could do better if they get it right. The reality is that none of the films MCU produced were great this year. When they produce quality, the box office will follow.

If GotG 3 underperforms (it won't) then we can talk about serious problems for MCU.

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 1

I think that a lot of people underestimated the appeal of Killmonger. That character resonated like nobody's business at least Stateside and WF had no one like him. Namor wanted to kill a teenager over advanced tech lmao! So all in all, WF just didn't have a cast of characters like BP nor as appealing story (Hamlet/TLK trumps illegal mining of vibranium). It isn't just the lack of lead but the whole combo.

Edited by Valonqar

15 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Because dom number was much higher when you remove China and Russia from OS equation. 700M vs 557M. of course that dom drop was going to be bigger. And that's without adjusting dom to inflation. 

Looking at OS numbers, only Mexico increased and India and Indonesia stayed flat. Everything else dropped. Korean drop is wow. From 77M to 16.4M. The power of Infinity War indeed. UK dropped by half. Ditto Brazil. People really didn't care for this one. 

Hey don't forget that in Italy it grossed more than the previous one (in euros), a real surprise. And maybe it will do the same also in France?

3 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

as i said for me now people are more interested in event films than in this type of film.
in addition, the quality of phase four has dropped mainly due to the TV series

Exactly, after an excellent start with Wandavision, Loki and, why not, also Falcon and The Winter Soldier this year they made some unwatchable stuff like Miss Marvel (not even commentable) and She Hulk (only 3 good episodies out of 9, using one of the most appreciated Marvel characters...)

• Like 1