Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB and WAG will probably look at adapting Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew because that's another superhero talking animal group but unlike Super Pets, it's not connected to the wider DC universe so they can mess around with it much like how Big Hero 6 was very loosely based on the comic.

+ Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. She-Ra actually was the rip-off version of it in the 80s

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah Leo can pass as one but most of his films also have a big director name. 

Asian cinema still has star system working unlike West. Even Hollywood star power works better in Asia than they do in West.

If you wanna see what star power is, follow Indian box office.

The difference there is: star power worldwide and not just star power in one single territory. All about crossover, mainstream worldwide appeal.  

Just saw that Minions 2 is out on Digital in just two days. 

That's a 30 Day window. Did Universal change their windowing structure recently?

Edit:

• Elvis is on Prime Video on August 08th
  • Top Gun Maverick is August 22
  • Crawdads Sing is August 29
  • DC SuperPets is September 12

Edited by AJG

If I'm not wrong Bollywood makes essentialy action movies and comedies. Modern Hollywood is a more diversified industry where every single director or author can make "his own genre" so it's more difficult for an actor to sell everything. If you are Chalamet you have to sell in the same year 3 really different films: dune, guadagnino new movie and Wonka. 

If we consider only action Hollywood has his own stars too.. the rock, vin diesel, jason statham, liam neeson sell movies a lot... without them a movie is an anonymous 50M action movie, with them it can make 4 times that. 

It's a lot easier to create a star for the action genre. 

Edited by vale9001

39 minutes ago, AJG said:

Just saw that Minions 2 is out on Digital in just two days. 

That's a 30 Day window. Did Universal change their windowing structure recently?

Edit:

• Elvis is on Prime Video on August 08th
  • Top Gun Maverick is August 22
  • Crawdads Sing is August 29
  • DC SuperPets is September 12

Minions opened over $50m so that explains why it isn’t getting a 17 day window. But Nope is going 30 days too, and opened under $50m. 

I think… Universal are just doing whatever they like lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, M37 said:

Yeah, worldwide, only $40M in US. Super Pets is going to triple that 

The question was simply "what was the last movie made solely for kids that did really well"? 

Paw Patrol was a/the correct answer, regardless of how relatively well Super Pets is going to do. Also, we are well, well past the era surely where outside of a few niche cases Dom revenue is somehow seen as the more relevant value. Paw Patrol was successful in Europe where the show is extremely popular and, hypothetically, Super Pets might struggle a bit more.

I'd also proffer that Minions is, on the surface, exclusively for kids originally. That a bunch of teens and adults have taken it upon themselves to have a culture moment with it is a very nice bonus for the filmmakers - but the content itself is pure kid content.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Anyways with Leo it would have made easily 5 times more. So he doesn't risk very much but he has a huge star power for sure. 

I think there's a lot of hindsight in Leo hits of 2010-2015 era being thought of as safe because well they made a lot of money. But most of them were not at all safe bets, at least financially. Inception and maybe Django sure, but the others were kinda expected to flop or not break even pre-release. Gatsby and Shutter Island were tagged awards season rejects because they bowed out of December and then got mixed reviews. Revenant was all disaster buzz for months, people were sure it's gonna flop even while it was doing great in limited release. And even Wolf was not expected to hit especially after the word was out about how R-rated it really is.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Minions opened over $50m so that explains why it isn’t getting a 17 day window. But Nope is going 30 days too, and opened under $50m. 

I think… Universal are just doing whatever they like lol

The thing is Minions should be a 45 Day window. It's being released digitally 15 days early.

Apparently Sky have also announced that NOPE will release on Sky Store in September. It's expected, but it's weird how they announced that before the film is released in the UK. 

Edited by AJG

44 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I think there's a lot of hindsight in Leo hits of 2010-2015 era being thought of as safe because well they made a lot of money. But most of them were not at all safe bets, at least financially. Inception and maybe Django sure, but the others were kinda expected to flop or not break even pre-release. Gatsby and Shutter Island were tagged awards season rejects because they bowed out of December and then got mixed reviews. Revenant was all disaster buzz for months, people were sure it's gonna flop even while it was doing great in limited release. And even Wolf was not expected to hit especially after the word was out about how R-rated it really is.

I agree.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The question was simply "what was the last movie made solely for kids that did really well"? 

Paw Patrol was a/the correct answer

I wouldn’t classify $140M WW as “doing really well”, and Bad Guys opened this year solely for kids to $96 Dom / $245 WW, Sing 2 in December to $163/$149

Not sure how that qualifies as the “correct answer” by any measure  

52 minutes ago, AJG said:

The thing is Minions should be a 45 Day window. It's being released digitally 15 days early.

Apparently Sky have also announced that NOPE will release on Sky Store in September. It's expected, but it's weird how they announced that before the film is released in the UK. 

VOD in 17 days for under 50M openers. VOD in 30 days for over 50M openers. 45 days for Peacock.

• Like 3

None of these Universal moves are straight up available on Peacock for free with the streaming service a la what HBO Max and Disney+ have done, right? You have to pay I assume at least $10+ to rent? I assume it's more like $20+ to rent? If so, not sure that that's a  huge, huge deal. Obviously would  rather they all stayed purely exclusive to theaters for at least 45 days but I don't expect this to impact grosses very much. Look at JWD... It's available to rent via Amazon for something like $20 and has been for a few weeks but, unlike Batman and Strange, it's not impacting its late legs very much at all given it's not free on Peacock or free on Amazon.

I could see Nope being free sooner unless Peele has a deal as that one looks like it's going to burn through it's demand quickly but hopefully that's one that even when available you have to pay $20+ to rent.

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

VOD in 17 days for under 50M openers. VOD in 30 days for over 50M openers. 45 days for Peacock.

This makes more sense but I'd much, much prefer that it was 70 day for Peacock like it was for some other releases... It's been 45 days for JWD by now, no? That's free on Peacock if you have the streaming service? I didn't think so yet...

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This makes more sense but I'd much, much prefer that it was 70 day for Peacock like it was for some other releases... It's been 45 days for JWD by now, no? That's free on Peacock if you have the streaming service? I didn't think so yet...

45 is a minimum. For example, The Northman was on Peacock right after the 45 day window ended, but it took 70 days for The Bad Guys to get added there. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

45 is a minimum. For example, The Northman was on Peacock right after the 45 day window ended, but it took 70 days for The Bad Guys to get added there. 

Appreciate the clarification.

Yeah... That's a much better model than what Disney and WB have been doing with their 45 day window. Just seems more sensible.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

None of these Universal moves are straight up available on Peacock for free with the streaming service a la what HBO Max and Disney+ have done, right? You have to pay I assume at least $10+ to rent? I assume it's more like $20+ to rent? If so, not sure that that's a  huge, huge deal. Obviously would  rather they all stayed purely exclusive to theaters for at least 45 days but I don't expect this to impact grosses very much. Look at JWD... It's available to rent via Amazon for something like $20 and has been for a few weeks but, unlike Batman and Strange, it's not impacting its late legs very much at all given it's not free on Peacock or free on Amazon.

I could see Nope being free sooner unless Peele has a deal as that one looks like it's going to burn through it's demand quickly but hopefully that's one that even when available you have to pay $20+ to rent.

Yes.

Like The Black Book is for renting at 19.99 and on sales for 24.99 and the impact on box office hasn't been so relevant. 

but at this point I don't understand why they just don't wait again 3 months like before the covid. Market is clearly healing so no need for such a short window even for "not free" digital releases. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M37 said:

I wouldn’t classify $140M WW as “doing really well”, and Bad Guys opened this year solely for kids to $96 Dom / $245 WW, Sing 2 in December to $163/$149

Not sure how that qualifies as the “correct answer” by any measure  

It does classify as doing really well. A movie doing 5.5x the budget in the middle of the pandemic, with a simultaneous streaming release and an even more limited audience than these movies it is really good (is not hard to see older kids and young teens enjoying Super Pets or Sing 2, Paw Patrol however appeals to no one but toddlers). Of course anything will look bad when you compare to bigger movies by bigger studios.