Issac Newton

Weekend - 07/29-07/31 | Super Pets 23M

34 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Pretty great for a film that someone claimed earlier “no one internationally has gone to see”. Hmm. 

Jurassic World Dominion with a healthy $10.2m start in Japan, $50m is possible and it could therefore pass $1bn after all. We’ll see over the next few weeks if it can manage it. 

This is the third consecutive weekend with a stable international total and with no new markets. Here in italy yesterday was a little bitt bigger than the saturday before. 

At this point I'm here for 160M and 130M+ and near to 300M total. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Ah, that’s a little more healthy considering the additional international numbers! Thankfully TGM is staying off Paramount+ for a while then, cause I feel that would definitely affect its holds. 

Honestly Paramount+ doesn't seem to impact legs at all. Lost City went to the service on May 10 and the following weekends consisted of the film dropping 39%, then 8%, then jumped up 34% (though that was mainly due to TGM double features), and then fell 33%. Sonic 2 came to the service on May 24, only fell 40%, then 30%, and only dropped 56% the following weekend when it lost 1,000 theaters to Jurassic. And sure they were a couple months ago, but that 40M was announced back in March, so even though the service probably jumped a good amount in subscribers, these movies still held up fine.

P+ is arguably in the perfect sweet spot where it has enough of a strong subscriber base where it can launch hit shows and have their premier movies be a big deal, but not so big where it hurts the movie's legs at the box office. Could change of course as the service keeps growing obviously.

I don’t know how many times I have to write this, but … Super Pets is going to easily clear $100M. Even if it’s as weekend heavy as Nope (70% of first week), which is unlikely, that’s a $33M first week The floor from there is 3x, given the absolute lack of completion for 2-3 months, which is the same set-up that allowed Bad Guys to leg out a 3.4x it’s opening week 

Even with the soft OW I’d take SP > LY, though it make take into October to crawl past it 

Total weekend box office (weekend 30) looks to clear $98.99M from all titles, which is 42% ahead of the same period a year ago, but 39% below the same weekend in 2019, which was when we had the second frame of Disney’s remake of The Lion King.

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

I don’t know how many times I have to write this, but … Super Pets is going to easily clear $100M. Even if it’s as weekend heavy as Nope (70% of first week), which is unlikely, that’s a $33M first week The floor from there is 3x, given the absolute lack of completion for 2-3 months, which is the same set-up that allowed Bad Guys to leg out a 3.4x it’s opening week 

Even with the soft OW I’d take SP > LY, though it make take into October to crawl past it 

If Superpets isn't coming on HBO max 45 days later, then maybe I share your optimism. We may it Superpets leg out very well with $100m in sight but collapse miserably on day 47, just like Encanto,  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M37 said:

Write it as many times as you want. It’s just your opinion, we all have them. That’s the fun of weekend threads. 

Edited by Krissykins

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Yes.

Like The Black Book is for renting at 19.99 and on sales for 24.99 and the impact on box office hasn't been so relevant. 

but at this point I don't understand why they just don't wait again 3 months like before the covid. Market is clearly healing so no need for such a short window even for "not free" digital releases. 

Couldn't agree more.

Live-action original IP update:

1. Free Guy- 121.6m (323m WW)

2. The Lost City- 105.3m (183m WW)

3. Nope- 80.5m 

4. Everything Everywhere- 68.8m (100m WW)

5. Dog- 61.7m (75m WW)

6. Tenet- 58.5m (362m WW)

7. The Northman- 34.2m (68.9m WW)

8. Nobody- 27.5m (57.5m WW)

9. Unhinged- 20.8m (37.3m WW)

10. Moonfall- 19m (59m WW)

Still hopeful Nope passes Free Guy. 

Too bad Bullet Train is a book, ditto Crawdads + Black Phone, and Elvis is a true story.

Impressive Tenet is still WW the biggest original film since Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (does 1917 count?)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Impressive Tenet is still WW the biggest original film since Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (does 1917 count?)

It was nominated for Best Original Screenplay, unless you consider Sam Mendes' grandpa and his stories in the war as a source material I guess.

5 minutes ago, Eric the Superdog said:

It was nominated for Best Original Screenplay, unless you consider Sam Mendes' grandpa and his stories in the war as a source material I guess.

When it's "true stories" or events, I feel like the line is somewhat blurred

Like.. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is an original film BUT it does use historical background and real life events/characters. 1917 as well to a lesser extent (WWI). These are obviously different scenarios than a biopic like Elvis, though

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

One word review for Nope.

Nope.

How would your rank Get out,Us and Nope?

I just saw Get out the other day. Loved it. Did not care for Us

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

When it's "true stories" or events, I feel like the line is somewhat blurred

Like.. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is an original film BUT it does use historical background and real life events/characters. 1917 as well to a lesser extent (WWI). These are obviously different scenarios than a biopic like Elvis, though

Well there's historical fiction, which uses real-life backdrops and events to tell fictional stories. And key word there is still "fiction". OUATIH and 1917 use fictional characters to tell a fictional story, but they just so happen to feature real-life figures and/or events. In that respect, yeah they are original and not based on anything. They're original in the same way Titanic or The Patriot are original.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Live-action original IP update:

1. Free Guy- 121.6m (323m WW)

2. The Lost City- 105.3m (183m WW)

3. Nope- 80.5m 

4. Everything Everywhere- 68.8m (100m WW)

5. Dog- 61.7m (75m WW)

6. Tenet- 58.5m (362m WW)

7. The Northman- 34.2m (68.9m WW)

8. Nobody- 27.5m (57.5m WW)

9. Unhinged- 20.8m (37.3m WW)

10. Moonfall- 19m (59m WW)

Still hopeful Nope passes Free Guy. 

Too bad Bullet Train is a book, ditto Crawdads + Black Phone, and Elvis is a true story.

Tenet was huge overseas considering the lack of many markets, the restrictions and the fact that there's no vaccines at the time. 

I always find bizarre how US media overall treat it like some kind of disaster. It was bad in US because the situation was just impossible, but the fact that since then it's still the 6th best original movie performance tells a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

that Elvis hold is a think of beauty 

Baz's next film at WB is likely at this point, he's delivered two successful films for them. 

49 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Tenet was huge overseas considering the lack of many markets, the restrictions and the fact that there's no vaccines at the time. 

I always find bizarre how US media overall treat it like some kind of disaster. It was bad in US because the situation was just impossible, but the fact that since then it's still the 6th best original movie performance tells a lot.

The fact Tenet made over 300m OS during the height of the pandemic is insane. I do think had WB kept it back a year or two, it would have done even better.

• Like 1