filmscholar

The End of Summer: Dragon Ball Super Super Hero/Beast Weekend Thread | DBS 20.1, Beast 11.6, BT 8, Pets 5.8 | TGM 5.85. Passes Infinity War to become sixth-biggest domestic earner

25 minutes ago, YM! said:

But I was told that Zaslav cares about the theatrical experience…

It was released July 29th and the legs aren't anything incredible so far. Currently 2.93x. With school starting, I don't think this is anything damaging or indicative of Warner Bros?

I mean, Nope is on digital this Friday from Universal

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't agree with any of this. Spring Breakers is what's considered the typical A24 film now and that was like their first wide release back in 2013. And only played in 1300 theaters at widest. I'm not sure if you've seen Bodies but you're making a lot of assumptions which make me believe you haven't. It's a very A24 film and a horror/comedy. We've seen horror is one of the more consistent genre performers post pandemic, especially when they aim young

Apparently I’m making the same assumptions their target audience did when they chose not to go see it 🤷‍♂️

A24’s niche is darker, twisted, off-beat horror: Midsommar, Hereditary, The Witch, It Comes At Night, X, Lighthouse, and so on - None of which are horror comedies, generally skew more adult/cinephile, and only through WOM so they tend pick up more GA down the line

Pointing out that A24 kinda stepped out of their lane here isn’t a criticism of their work generally or this particular film, but a partial explanation of the weaker performance. I honestly don’t understand the point of this back and forth, except you seem to just want to argue, but to what end isn’t at all clear

The talking points from online movie community is Dragonball Super : Super Hero is a game changer, i'll give you some stats

Dragonball Evolution made 9.3 million OW (13 million because of inflation)

so 20 million from 13 million are the numbers, Dragonball Evolution was made with a budget of 30 million (41 million is the inflation number)

Dragonball Super movie is 13 million for the budget

Edited by Gokira2012
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, M37 said:

Apparently I’m making the same assumptions their target audience did when they chose not to go see it 🤷‍♂️

A24’s niche is darker, twisted, off-beat horror: Midsommar, Hereditary, The Witch, It Comes At Night, X, Lighthouse, and so on - None of which are horror comedies, generally skew more adult/cinephile, and only through WOM so they tend pick up more GA down the line

Pointing out that A24 kinda stepped out of their lane here isn’t a criticism of their work generally or this particular film, but a partial explanation of the weaker performance. I honestly don’t understand the point of this back and forth, except you seem to just want to argue, but to what end isn’t at all clear

All I said was that I feel A24 left money on the table with Bodies bodies Bodies. Horror is the genre that's most ripe for overperformers. The movie is a horror from a studio with an usually loyal fanbase. The fact that it's a horror "comedy" seems almost irrelevant to the argument, considering it still fits the overall tone and vibe of A24, and would actually imply broader appeal (conceptual fun horror). The WOM is stronger overall than most of the films you mentioned such as It Comes At Night. (Also X is borderline a horror comedy. Lighthouse has humor and was marketed online as such. Many of their top performing films contain humor like Lady Bird, Uncut Gems, 8th Grade).

But I'm just going to end the conversation now. I truly don't understand what you're even arguing anymore since you were the one who engaged and replied to me

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

34 minutes ago, DTP said:

Nice!  Basically on par with Demon Slayer.  

That movie dropped 70% in its second weekend which is about what I'm expecting for Super.

Yeah Anime has no staying power with GA, it's like what power rangers did back in 2017

For the record, my boys roped me into seeing the new Dragonball today...

And it was better than Lightyear and Super Pets.  I give it a B-.  I was surprised.  I understood the whole thing.  It didn't matter that I hadn't seen any of it before, b/c you get enough synopsis in the 1st 60 seconds...and the movie really didn't try to make things confusing.  It was one of the most straight forward plots I've seen, but I'm a 100% newbie (my sibling got me to watch 1 anime show about bread once...that's my anime expereince).  That said, there was a weird suplot that only mattered for the end credits - I'd guess it mattered more to fans of the show or movies who might be saying "but where's so-and-so"...

Boys gave it an A and A-.  They loved it.

And there will be no legs.  Schools started here, so we saw it with 1 other person today.  One of the nicest all-to-myself theater experiences, especially b/c there was only 10 minutes of pre-movie showing - a WTF Oppenheimer teaser, the D&D trailer, and the Amazon Lord of the Rings tv show trailer with 2 commercials added.  

• Like 5