filmscholar

The End of Summer: Dragon Ball Super Super Hero/Beast Weekend Thread | DBS 20.1, Beast 11.6, BT 8, Pets 5.8 | TGM 5.85. Passes Infinity War to become sixth-biggest domestic earner

Honestly a $13-15M total for Bodies Bodies Bodies isn't really something to sneeze at, all things considered. It seems clear after Everything Everywhere's overperformance that it's back to A24's regularly scheduled programming of teens and single digits grossers (don't know how wide they plan to release Pearl in a few weeks but imagine it's going to be much more strategic than X was being a prequel to a movie that didn't even crack $12M in total).

59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly a $13-15M total for Bodies Bodies Bodies isn't really something to sneeze at, all things considered. It seems clear after Everything Everywhere's overperformance that it's back to A24's regularly scheduled programming of teens and single digits grossers (don't know how wide they plan to release Pearl in a few weeks but imagine it's going to be much more strategic than X was being a prequel to a movie that didn't even crack $12M in total).

The problem is though, that it’s in 2,541 cinemas, with a PTA of under $1k. I don’t think it’ll get over $12m. Maybe it’ll do well on digital. 

Where do A24 movies go in America after digital? Here in the UK they’re sold to different distributors before release. 

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

why would A24 having social media and digital WOM be harmful for a horror movie aiming for social media and digital WOM? 

I meant that their advertising budget is purposefully kept small, but because Bodies was more of generic horror film, it didn’t connect as well with their typical target audience, and without the larger ad buy (like Ready or Not) it was largely under radar of GA

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Crazy incredible run. Higher than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood's 2019 summer run

Insane to see it happen in today's marketplace. A massive victory for American theaters.

17 minutes ago, M37 said:

I meant that their advertising budget is purposefully kept small, but because Bodies was more of generic horror film, it didn’t connect as well with their typical target audience, and without the larger ad buy (like Ready or Not) it was largely under radar of GA

Men wasn't a generic horror film and that didn't connect with what I assume you're considering their typical audience (an audience that would appreciate that film)

14 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Men wasn't a generic horror film and that didn't connect with what I assume you're considering their typical audience (an audience that would appreciate that film)

The initial comment was essentially “why didn’t Bodies perform like Ready or not” - and the point I was making was that they weren’t really comparable. Bodies is just a bit out of place for A24’s model/strategy, (kinda like Spring Breakers),

Why Men was a fairly weak release is a different question, as it was in similar vein to previous A24 horror 

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

The initial comment was essentially “why didn’t Bodies perform like Ready or not” - and the point I was making was that they weren’t really comparable. Bodies is just a bit out of place for A24’s model/strategy, (kinda like Spring Breakers),

Why Men was a fairly weak release is a different question, as it was in similar vein to previous A24 horror 

how do these small distributors make any money, they put like no money into p&a, this is a Netflix movie

Edited by Gokira2012

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

The demographic breakdown for Beast was almost 50% over 35 (and 1/3 over 45). Could have solid staying power over these empty next few weeks because of that.

I listened to the new Beyoncé album on YouTube, between every 3-4 songs, there were short ads for Beast (and nothing else). So that tracks.

1 minute ago, Gokira2012 said:

how do these small distributors make any money, they put like no money into p&a

A24 sells merch and their movies probably do well enough on digital.

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

I don't agree with any of this. Spring Breakers is what's considered the typical A24 film now and that was like their first wide release back in 2013. And only played in 1300 theaters at widest. I'm not sure if you've seen Bodies but you're making a lot of assumptions which make me believe you haven't. It's a very A24 film and a horror/comedy. We've seen horror is one of the more consistent genre performers post pandemic, especially when they aim young

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't agree with any of this. Spring Breakers is what's considered the typical A24 film now and that was like their first wide release back in 2013. And only played in 1300 theaters at widest. I'm not sure if you've seen Bodies but you're making a lot of assumptions which make me believe you haven't. It's a very A24 film and a horror/comedy. We've seen horror is one of the more consistent genre performers post pandemic, especially when they aim young

Maybe A24 should have asked Jason Blum to Co-Produce

TOP GUN: MAVERICK HIGHWAY TO $700M DAY 86

BLACK PANTHER: $14m ahead

TOP GUN 2 GAIN: +$1.7m

CURRENT SEA LEVEL: $685.9m

LOCK ON BOGEY: $693.7m

AVERAGE (LAST 14 DAYS): $692.81m (+0.01% YD)

TOP GUN: MAVERICK HIGHWAY TO $700M DAY 87

BLACK PANTHER: $12.9m ahead

TOP GUN 2 GAIN: +$1.1m

CURRENT SEA LEVEL: $687.1m

LOCK ON BOGEY: $694.15m

AVERAGE (LAST 14 DAYS): $693.61m (+0.12% YD)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1