filmscholar

The End of Summer: Dragon Ball Super Super Hero/Beast Weekend Thread | DBS 20.1, Beast 11.6, BT 8, Pets 5.8 | TGM 5.85. Passes Infinity War to become sixth-biggest domestic earner

6 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think A24 poorly handled Bodies Bodies Bodies. Maybe their horror brand has fallen off? Maybe their stock has diminished?

While Everything Everywhere is one of the most impressive box office runs in memory it crossed over gigantically, Marcel the Shell didn't exactly take off in July either. Men was a dud in May. X did about 11m. They're releasing Funny Pages this week with barely any notice.

I would have assumed a fun horror comedy with solid reviews and cast with famous names could have overperformed. This summer was low on horror, hence Black Phone truly breaking out. But it's only going to do like under 15m?

The slow rollout probably stunted it somewhat. Should have just gone 2500 wide August 5th.

A24's 10th highest grosser ever made $17M, so a $12-14M total isn't too far off the mark we should've reasonably expected? Everything Everywhere was clearly the exception, not the rule.

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A24's 10th highest grosser ever made $17M, so a $12-14M total isn't too far off the mark we should've reasonably expected? Everything Everywhere was clearly the exception, not the rule.

I mean, they've grown in stature and loyalty in recent years, and horrors can do well regardless of studio? 

Of their top 10 grossers, 3 are horror, too! Ex Machina is horror adjacent/genre! 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I mean, they've grown in stature and loyalty in recent years, and horrors can do well regardless of studio? 

Of their top 10 grossers, 3 are horror, too! Ex Machina is horror adjacent/genre! 

I think the types of movies A24 makes are simply too weird/indie to truly break out beyond their niche demographic at this point tbh. The Black Phone broke out and had great legs because it was super crowd-please-y, but after seeing Bodies Bodies Bodies, I'm not overly surprised it's had a tough time reaching a broad audience (to say why would be entering spoiler territory).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the types of movies A24 makes are simply too weird/indie to truly break out beyond their niche demographic at this point tbh. The Black Phone broke out and had great legs because it was super crowd-please-y, but after seeing Bodies Bodies Bodies, I'm not overly surprised it's had a tough time reaching a broad audience (to say why would be entering spoiler territory).

Ready or Not did like 28, this shouldn't have been far off. Searchlight isn't even known for horrors and genres either. And it's not weirder than, say, A24's own Hereditary which scored a D cinemascore or something and broke out, or even Midsommar. It's probably making less than It Follows which was a terrible Weinstein subdivision release in 2015

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Ready or Not did like 28, this shouldn't have been far off. Searchlight isn't even known for horrors and genres either. And it's not weirder than, say, A24's own Hereditary which scored a D cinemascore or something and broke out, or even Midsommar. It's probably making less than It Follows which was a terrible Weinstein subdivision release in 2015

It Follows is terrible? 

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

But keep in mind that A24 is a smaller studio and relies primarily on digital advertising and WOM. Their successful horror releases have mostly been unusual and adult-skewing, and Bodies comes across  much formulaic and juvenile.

Ready or Not, while under the FSL logo, was released after the Disney acquisition of Fox, and had far more muscle in advertising, much closer to say The Invitation than an A24 release 

15 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think A24 poorly handled Bodies Bodies Bodies. Maybe their horror brand has fallen off? Maybe their stock has diminished?

While Everything Everywhere is one of the most impressive box office runs in memory it crossed over gigantically, Marcel the Shell didn't exactly take off in July either. Men was a dud in May. X did about 11m. They're releasing Funny Pages this week with barely any notice.

I would have assumed a fun horror comedy with solid reviews and cast with famous names could have overperformed. This summer was low on horror, hence Black Phone truly breaking out. But it's only going to do like under 15m?

The slow rollout probably stunted it somewhat. Should have just gone 2500 wide August 5th.

Here's the thing. The movie is not a horror. It was a stupid move that were marketing it as such. I, personally was dissapointed and the movie turned out to be just okay. It was worth watching only because of Rachel Sennot.

btw who is that famous in the cast? Pete is generally a turn off, Lee Pace is only a turn on for twitter girls and gays. And from the girls, Amandla but not really.

Edited by nooneinparticular

Never thought I'd see the day when a DragonBall movie opened at #1 at the domestic box office. 

The longevity of the brand is remarkable. As someone who grew up watching DBZ on Toonami in the early 2000s, it warms my heart. 

As for the movie itself, it was pretty good. Not the best DB film, but entertaining and engaging if you're a fan. I love the whole dynamic between the main characters, which didn't include Goku or Vegeta for once (a smart move). 

Looking forward to what Super has in store next. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Tons of movies for the rest of the year still don't have trailers yet we know about them.

Plus She Said and Strange World have trailers and they still didn't know what those movies are

Yep, haven’t seen a thing about any of them, on social media either. I’m sure the marketing will kick in at some point but as of right now, none of have appeared on my radar whatsoever. 

It doesn’t look like TGM will be receiving much of a PLF boost this weekend, if at all. The Rogue One re-release is grabbing almost all of the IMAX showtimes this weekend, at least for AMC. I suspect Regal and Cinemark will be similar.

Guys I only called it "The End of Summer" because school is starting here in the States around this time and this is probably the last huge weekend of the Summer.   I realize that technically the Summer doesn't end until Sept.   I wonder though....will we have a 20 Million OW Grosser in the next few weeks?  

7 hours ago, M37 said:

But keep in mind that A24 is a smaller studio and relies primarily on digital advertising and WOM. Their successful horror releases have mostly been unusual and adult-skewing, and Bodies comes across  much formulaic and juvenile.

Ready or Not, while under the FSL logo, was released after the Disney acquisition of Fox, and had far more muscle in advertising, much closer to say The Invitation than an A24 release 

why would A24 having social media and digital WOM be harmful for a horror movie aiming for social media and digital WOM? 

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

why would A24 having social media and digital WOM be harmful for a horror movie aiming for social media and digital WOM? 

Yeah; the fact that it’s getting decent “no August competition” type weekend holds and that it’s grossing past $10M total is already a win imo.