filmscholar

The End of Summer: Dragon Ball Super Super Hero/Beast Weekend Thread | DBS 20.1, Beast 11.6, BT 8, Pets 5.8 | TGM 5.85. Passes Infinity War to become sixth-biggest domestic earner

54 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

If you look at all the animated movies released in US, all the movies that have grossed over 300 million have been PG,none PG 13

do you guys think that will ever change?

Nope but mainly because there is such a small amount of PG-13 animated movies compared to PG ones

2 minutes ago, Flip said:

Nope but mainly because there is such a small amount of PG-13 animated movies compared to PG ones

Maybe a Simpsons finale movie could make money but the problem is that studios will deliberately make their movies to be PG rated so that all the children can see it even if its content is sometimes too mature for that age group

From Deadline Hollywood

1.) Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Cru) 3,018 theaters, Fri $10.88M, Sat $5.8M, Sun $3.45M, 3-day $20.1M/Wk 1

2.) Beast (Uni) 3,743 theaters, Fri $4.3M, Sat $4.27M, Sun $2.99M, 3-day $11.57M/Wk 1

3.) Bullet Train (Sony) 3,781 (-576) theaters, Fri $2.2M (-42%), Sat $3.3M, Sun $2.4M  3-day $8M (-40%)/Total $68.9M/Wk 3

4.) Top Gun: Maverick (Par) 2,969  (-212) theaters, Fri $1.56M (-21%), Sat $2.52M, Sun $1.77M, 3-day $5.85M (-17%), Total $683.3M/Wk 13
The Tom Cruise movie became the No. 9 highest-grossing film of all time as it flew past the $1.4 billion worldwide mark, with $1.403 billion. Stateside the movie clicked past Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War ($678 million) as the No. 6 highest grossing movie in domestic box office history. The pic lands on digital with over 110 minutes of bonus content on Aug. 23, and on 4K/Blu-Ray/DVD on Nov. 1.

5.) DC League of Super-Pets (WB) 3,537 (-266) theaters, Fri $1.4M (-29%), Sat $2.5M, Sun $1.87M, 3-day $5.77M (-18%)/Total $67.4M Wk 4

6.) Thor: Love and Thunder (Disney) 2,755 (-420) theaters, Fri. $1.07M (-24%), Sat $1.78M, Sun $1.17M, 3-day $4M (-25%)/Total $332.1M/Wk 7

7. ) Nope (Uni) 2,381 (-379) theaters, Fri $1.05M (-33%), Sat $1.47M, Sun $1.03M,  3-day $3.55M (-34%)/Total $113.76M/Wk 5

8.) Minions: Rise of Gru (Uni) 2,654 theaters (-414), Fri $940K (-34%), Sat $1.59M, Sun $990K, 3-day $3.52M (-30%), Total: $350M/Wk 8

9.) Where the Crawdads Sings (Sony) 2,608 theaters (-308), Fri $900K (-25%), Sat $1.3M, Sun $930K 3-day $3.15M (-21%)/Total $77.7M/Wk 6

10.) Bodies Bodies Bodies (A24) 2,541 (+1,251) theaters, Fri $764K, Sat $915K, Sun $732K, 3-day $2.4M (-23%), Total $7.4M/Wk 3

Notables:

Orphan: First Kill (Par) 498 theaters, Fri $670K, Sat $610K, Sun $390K, 3-day $1.67M/Wk

Fall (LG) 1,548 theaters, Fri $366K, Sat $548K, Sun $416K, 3-day $1.33M (-47%)/Total $4.9M/Wk 2

• Like 2

why doesn't box office mojo include the preview number in the weekend gross for dragon ball? especially since they don't include it among the other thursday numbers either. i noticed they did that w/ Jujutsu Kaisen as well. bro they must hate anime.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

why doesn't box office mojo include the preview number in the weekend gross for dragon ball? especially since they don't include it among the other thursday numbers either. i noticed they did that w/ Jujutsu Kaisen as well. bro they must hate anime.

Box Office Mojo is really buggy. Don't worry they will correct it on Dec 31/Jan 1 when Distributor GKIDS/Funimation/Crunchyroll will publish their annual report.

Edited by Issac Newton

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Suspect it has more to do with it being an semi-automated system, and foreign distributors actually separating out Thursday from Friday when they report, unlike domestic, which roll it all up into a “Friday” total 

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Suspect it has more to do with it being an semi-automated system, and foreign distributors actually separating out Thursday from Friday when they report, unlike domestic, which roll it all up into a “Friday” total 

interesting stat I found - on Anime movies for the general audience by race

Whites - Fav: 28% / Un-Fav: 43% - Remainder: No Op / Never heard of

Hispanics - Fav: 40% / Un-Fav : 34% - Remainder: No Op / Never heard of

African Americans -   Fav :   38% /  Un- Fav: 33% - Remainder: No Op / Never heard of

Others - Fav:     46% /  Un-Fav:   29%  - Remainder: No Op / Never heard of

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1095794/anime-movie-opinions-us-by-ethnicity/

Edited by Gokira2012

Did Tom Cruise cement his reputation as the biggest movie star of all time? 

I still think in terms of an actor's run, 1992-2000 Tom Hanks is untouchable, but overall Cruise is at the apex. 

Edited by Flopped

I think A24 poorly handled Bodies Bodies Bodies. Maybe their horror brand has fallen off? Maybe their stock has diminished?

While Everything Everywhere is one of the most impressive box office runs in memory it crossed over gigantically, Marcel the Shell didn't exactly take off in July either. Men was a dud in May. X did about 11m. They're releasing Funny Pages this week with barely any notice.

I would have assumed a fun horror comedy with solid reviews and cast with famous names could have overperformed. This summer was low on horror, hence Black Phone truly breaking out. But it's only going to do like under 15m?

The slow rollout probably stunted it somewhat. Should have just gone 2500 wide August 5th.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think A24 poorly handled Bodies Bodies Bodies. Maybe their horror brand has fallen off? Maybe their stock has diminished?

While Everything Everywhere is one of the most impressive box office runs in memory it crossed over gigantically, Marcel the Shell didn't exactly take off in July either. Men was a dud in May. X did about 11m. They're releasing Funny Pages this week with barely any notice.

I would have assumed a fun horror comedy with solid reviews and cast with famous names could have overperformed. This summer was low on horror, hence Black Phone truly breaking out. But it's only going to do like under 15m?

The slow rollout probably stunted it somewhat. Should have just gone 2500 wide August 5th.

Yeah, 0 reason this needed to do a slow rollout. A 7-9M opening would've been in the cards if it went wide immediately as buzz has kind of faded by now.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

agreed. The reviews were pretty average so I don’t know why they didn’t go wide immediately like they did with X, Hereditary and Midsommar. A24 confuses me sometimes with their release strategies. 

Edited by babz06

17 minutes ago, babz06 said:

agreed. The reviews were pretty average so I don’t know why they didn’t go wide immediately like they did with X, Hereditary and Midsommar. A24 confuses me sometimes with their release strategies. 

The reviews were solid for horror. It's 69 on Metacritic. The Black Phone is 65. 88% on Rotten Tomatoes with 7.30 average. Black Phone is 83% with 7.0. 

Orphan 2 did really well despite being dumped theatrically and those reviews aren't great. Horror can survive with weak reviews as long as the concept/marketing is there and usually A24 has the marketing/concept/buzz with their horror releases.

2 hours ago, Flopped said:

Did Tom Cruise cement his reputation as the biggest movie star of all time? 

I still think in terms of an actor's run, 1992-2000 Tom Hanks is untouchable, but overall Cruise is at the apex. 

Clark Gable is the biggest movie star of all time. Star of the biggest film of all time. The most amount of tickets sold. 59 of his 65 starring roles hit $100m worldwide when adjusted for inflation. That's 90.76%.

• Like 1

This is what I've found for top 13th weekends:

1. Titanic - $17,578,815

2. Avatar - $6,526,421

3. MBFGW - $6,209,500

4. E.T. - $6,020,986

5. Home Alone - $6,001,085

6. TGM - $5,850,166

Edited by Jiffy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Box office mojo isn't an authority on BO reporting. They just report what studios tell them to.

Crunchy roll report THU like a full day, giving actuals instead of other studios who just give estimate for previews and roll the number in OD actuals.

• Like 1

It almost feels surreal seeing a Dragon Ball movie at the number one spot for the North American box office, especially when it didn’t do particularly great in Japan. Good for Crunchyroll, I guess. 

In other news, TGM just might end the year as the biggest movie of 2022, at least domestically. Who could’ve seen that coming? 

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It almost feels surreal seeing a Dragon Ball movie at the number one spot for the North American box office, especially when it didn’t do particularly great in Japan. Good for Crunchyroll, I guess. 

It just pass out the entire run of $18.4M in Japan on a single Weekend.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

In other news, TGM just might end the year as the biggest movie of 2022, at least domestically. Who could’ve seen that coming? 

Dragon Ball nowadays is much more popular outside of Japan than in it, especially in the Americas...

10 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

If you look at all the animated movies released in US, all the movies that have grossed over 300 million have been PG,none PG 13

do you guys think that will ever change?

Yes. I believe one day there will be a PG-13 animated film that breaks $300M DOM.