Maggie

Labor Day/National Cinema Day Weekend Thread | TGM crosses 700M! Fifth-biggest movie DOM! The Cruise Missile never stops

2 hours ago, The More Fun XXR said:

Nah, it shouldn't. Would need to go more than 5x a holiday/discount boosted 3 day weekend to achieve it. It'll probably top out right around $370M. 

If it tops out around $370M, isn't that enough to outgross it?  The Batman grossed $369M, not $379M

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

It obviously was not locked and anyone saying that it was both looked and still looks incredibly foolish.

Well, that derogatory term would normally be enough for you to get points and I wonder why you didn't. Since you didn't, and I suppose not for the moderators not noticing your post, then I will proceed to say that maybe the one who still looks incredibly foolish is the one who clearly has some sort of dislike or beef with EC and insisted - and still does - at a worrying level, by bad mouthing both EC and everyone who agreed with him. EC was clearly correct and it wasn't that hard to tell even back then.

If your insistence of not accepting the word "LOCKED" owes to the data not supporting this at the time, I think EC was experienced enough and had an overall view that allowed him to exclaim as much.

I call on the moderators to express their opinion on the highlighted post of Legion By Night.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

Well, that derogatory term would normally be enough for you to get points and I wonder why you didn't. Since you didn't, and I suppose not for the moderators not noticing your post, then I will proceed to say that maybe the one who still looks incredibly foolish is the one who clearly has some sort of dislike or beef with EC and insisted - and still does - at a worrying level, by bad mouthing both EC and everyone who agreed with him. EC was clearly correct and it wasn't that hard to tell even back then.

If your insistence of not accepting the word "LOCKED" owes to the data not supporting this at the time, I think EC was experienced enough and had an overall view that allowed him to exclaim as much.

I call on the moderators to express their opinion on the highlighted post of Legion By Night.

Comedy gold
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:
1 hour ago, Xavier said:

Comedy gold

You continue being ironic. What sort of entitlement is this? Really, are there even moderators in here?

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

I Dont Understand Caveh Zahedi GIF by Eternal Family

Bullet Train should end with 250M WW or so. Did Sony expect 300M+? For sure, but on a 90M budget this is a win.

In that regard, that, Nope (projected 175M global finish) and DC's Pets (projected 200M global finish) are all certainly the biggest underperformers of the Summer, but all 3 will end up making money in the long run (I am not counting the legendary ultra mega bomb of death Lightyear).

Edited by CJohn

1 hour ago, Xavier said:

You continue being ironic. What sort of entitlement is this? Really, are there even moderators in here?

You don’t seem to understand the purpose of moderators. My pointing out that it was foolish to call 700 locked when EC first did, because it was, is not against any kind of forum rules, nor is it sensible to expect that it would be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xavier said:

Hello. :)

First off, let me tell you that if you find a post you believe is objectionable, hit the Report button and give an explanation as to why. It ensures that at the very least somebody on the staff will look things over and review the potentially bad post. It's a lot harder to do that when you don't give a report. Yes, this also applies to when the forum is "super dead". After all, we all have jobs and personal lives to worry about, so sometimes things slip through the cracks. And sometimes there are posts that seem fine to us, but when we are given context by another user, we realize this is a problem and we have to throw out points.

But I will say I found nothing wrong with Legion's post whatsoever and found nothing objectionable. If Legion said anybody who thought 700M was a lock was an idiot, a moron, a dipshit, or heaven forbid the R slur, then we would have given him points no question. As our admin Cap always says, It's not what you say, but how you say it. Those terms are cruel and read as if Legion was deliberately out to condescend and attack other users. "Foolish" can be considered harsh, and if you think that's unfair to say, that's more than fine and you can tell Legion you think that's an unfair statement to make against EC. But that's pretty light. Not even a slap on the wrist, but a flick on the wrist. Nobody gets up in arms when something is called foolish and there's no reason to. Speaking personally, I'm on the spectrum, and I've dealt with derogatory insults all my life. "Foolish" is a drop in the bucket and far worse than anything even said on this forum.

And while I can't speak for EmpireCity, though it's not like you can speak for him either, it seems unlikely to me he would be up in arms over being called "foolish". He frequently talks smack about other users for being too sensitive, and loves going after the staff for being thin-skinned and soft. Clearly, he must know what it's like to be thick-skinned, so mild stuff like "foolish" wouldn't matter to him. Or at least I hope so. I hope you understand this perspective, and if you still think it's unfair or hypocritical...well, as I always say, we're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk box office :)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Eric-occhio said:

Hello. :)

First off, let me tell you that if you find a post you believe is objectionable, hit the Report button and give an explanation as to why. It ensures that at the very least somebody on the staff will look things over and review the potentially bad post. It's a lot harder to do that when you don't give a report. Yes, this also applies to when the forum is "super dead". After all, we all have jobs and personal lives to worry about, so sometimes things slip through the cracks. And sometimes there are posts that seem fine to us, but when we are given context by another user, we realize this is a problem and we have to throw out points.

But I will say I found nothing wrong with Legion's post whatsoever and found nothing objectionable. If Legion said anybody who thought 700M was a lock was an idiot, a moron, a dipshit, or heaven forbid the R slur, then we would have given him points no question. As our admin Cap always says, It's not what you say, but how you say it. Those terms are cruel and read as if Legion was deliberately out to condescend and attack other users. "Foolish" can be considered harsh, and if you think that's unfair to say, that's more than fine and you can tell Legion you think that's an unfair statement to make against EC. But that's pretty light. Not even a slap on the wrist, but a flick on the wrist. Nobody gets up in arms when something is called foolish and there's no reason to. Speaking personally, I'm on the spectrum, and I've dealt with derogatory insults all my life. "Foolish" is a drop in the bucket and far worse than anything even said on this forum.

And while I can't speak for EmpireCity, though it's not like you can speak for him either, it seems unlikely to me he would be up in arms over being called "foolish". He frequently talks smack about other users for being too sensitive, and loves going after the staff for being thin-skinned and soft. Clearly, he must know what it's like to be thick-skinned, so mild stuff like "foolish" wouldn't matter to him. Or at least I hope so. I hope you understand this perspective, and if you still think it's unfair or hypocritical...well, as I always say, we're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk box office :)

Yeah, I do think it's unfair and hypocritical and it's bad that you are taking sides. I don't care what EC would say, as I don't know or speak for him. Legion called foolish both EC and whoever agreed with him on the LOCKED issue and I happened to agree with him, so foolish applied for me too.

You seem very ready to show the door to users and, from my part, there's no reason to be active in such a place. Adieu.

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

TGM will win the year domestically. People are overpredicting AVATAR 2.

WF could do well, but it's not going to beat the first one and TGM already passed BP.

I said that after Memorial Day weekend, and I haven't changed my mind, especially with TGM going higher than my "nothing else will bust $650M this year" thoughts then...BUT...WB giving up Christmas does leave me a little more concerned about Avatar.  People will see something and while Puss in Boots could be that, it's just as likely Avatar will be for the general GA just wanting to see "something" as a family...especially since it will get Spidey equivalent sets from last Xmas...

• Like 1

Would it be controversial to say that Top Gun: Maverick is clearly the second-best movie of the DOM Top 10? I mean, ofc, that one movie we all know is better, but the rest of those movies all fall short of Top Guns quality imo.