Blankments

What Will The Next Film To Do 200M-300M?

25 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Spiderverse has almost no chance — because Fast X is doing it first. If something does it before fast X put my money on John Wick

More detailed thoughts:

Hide contents

Adam : probably under

Strange world: probably under

Puss: probably under

ant-man: probably over

Creed: probably under

Shazam: probably under

John Wick: 🤔… still probably under I think, maybe best chance so far though?

Mario: probably under?

Fast X: pretty likely, right?

Spiderverse: solid shot

transformers: probably under

Elemental: no idea

flash: no idea

Dead Reckoning pt 1: pretty likely

Barbie probably under, Oppenheimer probably under, blade hopefully over but decent chance of in between, dune good chance, hunger games under I guess

No way Mario does less than 200M

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Legion By Night said:

Pikachu 2 👀

Illumination which has become the biggest in animation at the box office which unlike WB knows how to market family films, which has not had an animated film over 275M (only three of their films have gone under 200M (Sing 2 got hurt mainly due to Omicron)). Also Mario will skew much younger than Pikachu mainly because it’s wholly animated and will likely from a marketing perspective focus more on the comedy. Mario also benefits from being the first family/animated film since the holidays with no major competition to hurt it. I’d be shocked if it did under Sonic 2.

Edited by YM!

3 hours ago, YM! said:

No but I can see a feast or famine thing for it. One situation where it overperforms massively beyond our expectations and does $300m+ domestic, and another where it underperforms and does slightly under the first by 5-10% ($170m-$180m)

The latter situation of $170m-$180m domestic is the far most likely of the two.

8 minutes ago, YM! said:

Illumination which has become the biggest in animation at the box office which unlike WB knows how to market family films, which has not had an animated film over 275M (only three of their films have gone under 200M (Sing 2 got hurt mainly due to Omicron)). Also Mario will skew much younger than Pikachu mainly because it’s wholly animated and will likely from a marketing perspective focus more on the comedy. Mario also benefits from being the first family/animated film since the holidays with no major competition to hurt it. I’d be shocked if it did under Sonic 2.

Mario also won't have to be dealing with as much competition as Pikachu was. 

• Like 1

Mario is probably going to get to $200M first. Then Mission: Impossible, and then Spider-Verse. And maybe behind that I'd say Elemental has a 50/50 shot at hitting that number, too.

Edited by JWR

15 hours ago, cannastop said:

No chance for Puss in Boots.

In a year where Minions 2 will get to $370M, Sonic 2 to $191M, no NWH or Omicron outbreak, Puss in Boots beating Sing 2’s $162M is very likely, and the ceiling is above $200M

Original Sing made $270M from its late December release in part because there was limited family product for holidays: Adult-skewing tentpole Rogue One (Avatar 2), Thanksgiving leftover Moana (Strange World) … and that’s it. Similar set-up this year leaves door wide open, if by default 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

In a year where Minions 2 will get to $370M, Sonic 2 to $191M, no NWH or Omicron outbreak, Puss in Boots beating Sing 2’s $162M is very likely, and the ceiling is above $200M

Original Sing made $270M from its late December release in part because there was limited family product for holidays: Adult-skewing tentpole Rogue One (Avatar 2), Thanksgiving leftover Moana (Strange World) … and that’s it. Similar set-up this year leaves door wide open, if by default 

I'm just thinking of the 2011 Puss in Boots.

Stealing @Legion By Night‘s list for easy listing of chances and to give ranges:

Adam : Likely under, $100m-$140m

Strange World: Definitely under, $90m-$120m

Puss: Likely under to maybe just in range, $130m-$200m

Ant-Man: In range to over the 300M threshold, $275m-$320m

Creed: Definitely Under, $100m-$130m

Shazam: Maybe under/over, $180m-$220m

John Wick: Definitely under, $120m-$150m 

Mario: In range to over the 300M threshold, $250m-$370m 

Fast X: Just under the 200M threshold: $160m-$190m

Spiderverse: Over/Under the 200M threshold, $170m-$215m

Transformers: Definitely under, $90m-$125m

Elemental: Over/Under the 200M threshold, $170m-$215m

Flash: In range to over the 300M threshold, $240m-$320m

Dead Reckoning pt 1: In Range, $230m-$280m

Barbie: Over/Under the 200M threshold, $170m-$215m 

Oppenheimer: Likely under, $100m-$150m

Blade: In range, $200m-$270m

Dune: Over/Under the 200M threshold, $170m-$225m

Hunger Games: In range, $220m-$240m

Wish: Over/Under the 200M threshold, $170m-$230m

Wonka: In range, $200m-$260m

Ghostbusters: Likely under, $100m-$140m

Migration: In range, $200m-$225m

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm just thinking of the 2011 Puss in Boots.

The one that shocked the hell out of everyone and opened to $34M on Halloween weekend, and then held at $33M the next weekend? Grossed in total as much as X-Men First Class that same year, despite getting hammered with competition (Happy Feet 2, Muppets, Arthur Christmas) over Thanksgiving and basically gone by Christmas?

I'll just add: there's a reason I specifically mentioned Minions and Sonic as points of comparison. I'm not sure that's our next $200+ title, but it has a decent shot

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

46 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Think this is more likely to miss 100M than cross 200M?

Here's the thing about Black Adam.  

The marketplace is fuckin' starved for anything remotely approaching mass appeal. 

How long has it been since a decent opener, anyway?  Bullet Train at 30m, maybe?  Otherwise it's Nope at 44m and L&T at 144m.

Been a looooong dry spell at the box office.  

More to the point, maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid when it comes to @The Eric King's Quorum tracking, but that's currently pointing to a decent shot at a 70m opener for BA, depending on just how solid the DC/Marvel comp system is.

Still a long way out on that tracking, and I presume it's still in the refinement stage for Eric, but I dunno. Early signs are good for it, maybe?  

Edited by Porthos

27 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

This is really the big caveat. In particular the N on DC is like... Just batman? Batman+TSS?

Well, yeah, I mentioned it for a reason. :lol:   But even the other ones are giving a 50 to 60 percent shot at a 70m opener, which is why I phrased it as a "decent shot" in my post.  I reckon that a 50%-60% chance according to GA metrics + the much better DC/Marvel ones gives it a reasonable chance at it.

And, as you well know, I have every reason in the world to look for evidence for it to miss 70m. ;)

(though, honestly, prob gonna track it regardless)

Edited by Porthos