Grebacio

Weekend Thread (9/22-24) | Weekend Estimates - DWD 19.35, Woman King 11, Avatar 10.5, Barbarian 4.8, See How They Run & Pearl 1.9

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I liked the first half but didn't think it stuck the landing quite as well.

The whole structure of the movie didn’t do anything for me. Has the issue anthology films usually have where some stories are dull and go on too long, or are engaging but don’t go on long enough. Then the final third goes into a random story detour and it’s like…why did I watch this? Oh well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Can see a world where DWD is 5th next weekend:

Smile: 15M

Bros: 13M
TWK: 7.8M (-30%)

DWD: 7M (-64%)

Yep, DWD is gonna tumble hard. HS fans already saw it and it isn't something they'll want to see twice. Not much growth beyond that.

WK will continue to have good Sat jumps and good Sun holds thanks to church-goers. It's funny that Deadline reported about this audience last week yet forgot about them this time and under-predicted the second weekend based on Friday. Also likely good Tue jump (older crowd) but ho-hum Mon,Wed,Thu, Fri like last week. 

Avatar WOM seems strong in particular for A2 footage so fingers crossed it ends up in Top 4. 

Obligatory weekly update of live action non-IP post Covid Top 10:

Nope- 123.1m (170.7m WW)

Free Guy- 121.6m (331.5m WW)

The Lost City- 105.3m (190.8m WW)

Everything Everywhere- 69.9m (100.8m WW)

Dog- 61.7m (84.9m WW)

Tenet- 58.5m (365.2m WW)

The Woman King- 36.2m (37.5m WW)

The Northman- 34.2m (69.1m WW)

Beast- 31.4m (57.3m)

Barbarian- 28.4m (29.9m WW)

----

Don't Worry Darling- 19.2m (30m WW)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I would say the franchise Avatar is closer to is Jurassic World 

There's not such a visible big buzz about them, it doesn't have a huge dedicated fanbase online, doesn't have much rush to see it too quick. 

And still, GP loves the concept and always just show up on theaters despite bad reviews and everything. I think Avatar will be exactly like this, but on a higher scale.

Jurassic World sequels have better legs than the average MCU movie but not that much better.

The only reason the LotR sequels had 5x legs is because they opened on a Wednesday.

4 hours ago, SLAM! said:

That, and its second and third weekend will also be legendary. The thing about this Holiday season is that there’s virtually no competition against Avatar 2. Puss in Boots for the kids, and then the Whitney Houston biopic, and Strange World is likely keeping its theater space for the Holidays, but besides that… What exactly are people supposed to see? Avatar is the clear choice for moviegoers. It’s almost not fair how well Avatar’s going to perform, just by virtue of being *the choice*.

It’s very strange that there aren’t more films coming out this Christmas. I guess studios were scared of avatar and just gave up.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Justin Long should get an Oscar nomination for Barbarian. Not kidding.

I ahve not seen the movie, but it drives me crazy how only drama movies get actors nominated. Still haven't recovered from Toni Collette' s Hereditary snub

34 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Jurassic World sequels have better legs than the average MCU movie but not that much better.

The only reason the LotR sequels had 5x legs is because they opened on a Wednesday.

JW didn't have great WOM tho beyond the first one, and none of this change my point, all the 3 movies was expected by many to gross way lower than they did. 

And they all opened in July so their legs specifically it's not comparable at all with Avatar

Edited by ThomasNicole

Good point about Avatar popularity. It's broadly popular as a spectacle but not as a discussion piece. It's something people will show up for to experience it but they aren't going to start developing theories on how unobtainium works exactly

• Like 1