Eric Prime

THE OFFICIAL BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER WEEKEND THREAD | 181M OW

7 minutes ago, Eric Killmonger said:

We still have a couple hours before the previews drop. Was curious to know what everybody got for trailers last night? My showing went like

Only got 3 trailers surprisingly: Avatar (teaser trailer), The Little Mermaid, Ant-Man: Q. 

All Disney lol. The little mermaid got the biggest reactions 

4 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

I'm always shocked by the amount of trailers you got. My local theatres play 1 to 3 trailers and that's all.

8 trailers has been the standard number of previews before movies for years for me. 8 2.5 minute trailers = 20 minutes of trailers, that way people can get concessions, use the restroom, etc. and get to their seats before the movie actually starts.

Yeah these days, it's typically just 5 trailers at my Regal. This was above average. Which I guess some will think it's annoying, but I think it's fine. The more obnoxious element is that the trailers used to start with the showtime, but now there's still five minutes of pre-show ads. So like a 7:50 show has the trailers starting in 7:55. Plus, minus a few showings here and there, I keep getting a random commercial for Airbnb or Pinterest or Samsung or whatever smack-dab in the middle of the previews. It's the dumbest thing ever and just makes the wait for the film way more taxing than it deserves to be. What's even the point of doing this kind of crap?

Strange MoM ($187.4M) has decent chance of holding onto the highest OW of the year. BPWF with a higher IM probably better chance of topping it than Avatar 2 

Still sticking with $28M/$180-$190M opening here, though I know many have it $5-$10M lower. Just believe - for a variety of factors - it’s going to be more walk-up, Sat & Sun friendly and outrun expectations as the weekend wears on 

• Like 1

MCU box office has been bad this year but I think it’s more quality (and external factors, in this case) than franchise fatigue. Hopefully 2023 can provide some clarity (none of the movie’s have had a star die so as long as they get As they’re very “normal” to compare to pre-pandemic McU).

Edited by Legion By Night

17 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

i wasn't trying to be funny 🤨

every ticket sold for black panther 2 is an extra watch of the avatar 2 trailer, i was hoping it would do better than this...

We didn't even get the full trailer, just the teaser lmao

11 hours ago, Blankments said:

I’ll be seeing it tomorrow; I walked out after discovering the screen had a dim bulb projector. If I can’t see shit during the movie I’ll wait a day

Since my Regal IMAX was under renovation, I had to switch and do GP30 Dolby and the sound was out of sync!!  Good thing the GM was my old boss and I pulled out my phone and texted him.  They fixed it about 10 minutes in, but the entire opening scene was not the optimal viewing experience :whosad:

50 minutes ago, Eric Killmonger said:

We still have a couple hours before the previews drop. Was curious to know what everybody got for trailers last night? My showing went like this:

M3gan (though it was only like a 45-second cut of the trailer)

John Wick 4

Knives Out 2 (kinda annoying that was in there, since that's only playing for a week and I wanted Creed or something idk idk)

Mario

Shazam 2 (I'm so done with this stupid trailer Four times in a row I've had to hear "I just threw a truck at a dragon. I love my life!". And that's not counting the 30 other times. Please WB, at least give us a new Shazam trailer. I can't take this anymore)

Ant-Man 3

Jonathan Majors night at my showing.  Creed 3, Devotion, and AM3!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Killmonger said:

Yeah these days, it's typically just 5 trailers at my Regal. This was above average. Which I guess some will think it's annoying, but I think it's fine. The more obnoxious element is that the trailers used to start with the showtime, but now there's still five minutes of pre-show ads. So like a 7:50 show has the trailers starting in 7:55. Plus, minus a few showings here and there, I keep getting a random commercial for Airbnb or Pinterest or Samsung or whatever smack-dab in the middle of the previews. It's the dumbest thing ever and just makes the wait for the film way more taxing than it deserves to be. What's even the point of doing this kind of crap?

Advertisers pay more the later their ad runs in the sequence, under the presumption of more eyeballs on the screen. So a spot in middle of BPWF previews might be double the rate of something in the pre-show presentation. Doesn’t mean it’s good for viewer experience, but that’s the why behind it 

Edited by M37
Typos - not enough coffee

1 hour ago, Legion By Night said:

MCU box office has been bad this year but I think it’s more quality (and external factors, in this case) than franchise fatigue. Hopefully 2023 can provide some clarity (none of the movie’s have had a star die so as long as they get As they’re very “normal” to compare to pre-pandemic McU).

Bad? You can argue that DS2 and Thor didn't meet some expectations (especially quality wise), but 410M+340M aren't numbers close to being considered bad. BPWF will have a great run (possibly 500M), and less than a year ago we had a 800M+ grosser.

Combining the gross of these four movies, it's more than 2 billion DOM for the franchise in less than 12 months. That's an incredible 28% of all the December 2021-November 2022 money grossed in DOM cinemas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legion By Night said:

If 2022 MCU box office is bad then 2023 will be worse lmao. I don't think Ant-Man3 & The Marvels would do more than L&T both domestically & OS. Box office of both movies will be in the range of 500-700M.

• Like 1

Bad is relative. For some movies 30M is good, for some 700M is bad.  

DS2 left a lot of money on the table relative to the hype it had from its story/concept hook. L&T down from rag admits and BP2 will be like 50% down from bp1’s.

Year had 3 huge movies in it, but I think it’s more informative to look at how it grossed considering what was released rather than how it grossed if you ignore what was released. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can see both Ant Man Quantumania and The Marvels grossing more than 300M each. That would be already nice for them. Add in Guardians 3 (more than 400M DOM). So 2023 should be another solid year for the franchise.

5 minutes ago, stripe said:

I can see both Ant Man Quantumania and The Marvels grossing more than 300M each. That would be already nice for them. Add in Guardians 3 (more than 400M DOM). So 2023 should be another solid year for the franchise.

Not too sure about the first 2. MCU definitely seems to be in a slightly declining state atm. Guardians 3 yeah, should be over 400. 

• Like 1

Ant-Man 3 should get a big boost from having Kang in it plus its got nowhere to go but up, The Marvels i think will drop significantly unless its just fantastic, the first one got massively boosted by Endgame leadup, GoTG should clear 400m easily imo

• Like 1