John Marston

Weekdays Thread (11/14-17)

21 minutes ago, Eric Killmonger said:

So uh...are we just not getting Menu or She Said preview numbers? It's almost 1 and there's no word on either.

Could it be cuz they flopped? Searchlight is pushing Menu pretty hard. She Said will obviously bomb into oblivion. 

1 minute ago, GOGODanca said:

Yep. That $64M number for WF is much closer to what we'll actually see. The $70M projections were a pipe dream based on the really weak Wednesday and Thursday.

Edited by Verrows
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Flopped said:

The audience has now been trained to dismiss good movies as "not theatrical". People are inherently stupid so they need the right guidance, but after almost 20 years of being fed garbage I don't know that they will embrace quality again. I mean movies like Pearl did 10M and the "breakout" Barbarian did 40M. 

Man spilled

1 hour ago, Verrows said:

Yep. That $64M number for WF is much closer to what we'll actually see. The $70M projections were a pipe dream based on the really weak Wednesday and Thursday.

I guess we'll have to see if people were holding out for Thanksgiving week OR will it actually be Thanksgiving WEAK?

Edited by jedijake
  • Haha 1

Hey Box Office Theory!

It’s been a loooong loooong time but I just wanted to pop in and say hi again after a long hiatus. This community has been so much fun and I’ve really enjoyed getting to meet and know all of you guys. I know I was very young and silly and immature when I first came to this website, and I truly apologize for the silly and annoying things I did back then and how I’ve derailed threads sometimes. I’ve really grown since I was 14 and yiiikes I’m embarrassed looking back ahaha. But I just wanted to say thank you for helping me grow in my passion for film and just being such awesome community members to engage with on the forums. I have learned so much from you guys and this is one of the best little corners on the internet. I want to thank the mods for sustaining this incredible website. I also wanted to say that I hope you guys are taking great care of yourselves, and practicing self-love and compassion. These past few years have been very enlightening, sometimes challenging, and a lot of fun. I’ve really grown a lot, personally and professionally, and my passion for film has only grown. ALSO, the pandemic was crazy. No way home was awesome. I still love BvS. And no more unions (at least for now, just joking mods btw).

I missed you guys 😊

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jedijake said:

I guess we'll have to see if people were holding out for Thanksgiving week OR will it actually be Thanksgiving WEAK?

In all seriousness I could definitely see that theory being true; just waiting for Thanksgiving week. We'll see I guess.

19 hours ago, Legion By Night said:

Unfortunately it is somewhat realistic that we see

mcu quality collapse -> mcu bo collapse -> industry dies 

over the next few years. Hoping for quality to recover instead though 😛 

Do we think if a MCU movie bombed hard enough, we are talking no one shows up for the opening weekend on a budget of 250m level of bomb, would Disney just shut down marvel as a studio? Obviously they’d never sell off the IP. They’d let it sit in a vault for a hundred  years before they’d let their mouse paws off of marvel. 

18 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

As big as westerns were in the '50s only 3 westerns made the top ten of the year - BROKEN ARROW (1950), SHANE (1953) and GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL (1957).  The highest grossing western of the decade (SHANE) was #5 of its year.

In the '60s only two musicals topped the year - THE SOUND OF MUSIC and MARY POPPINS and eight others in the top ten - WEST SIDE STORY (1961), THE MUSIC MAN (1962), MY FAIR LADY (1964), THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN (1964), A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964), FUNNY GIRL (1968), OLIVER! (1968) and OH! DOLLY (1969).

In the '70s only five disaster movies entered the top ten of the year - AIRPORT (1970), THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972), THE TOWERING INFERNO (1974), EARTHQUAKE (1974), AIRPORT 1975 (1974). None of them topped the box office.

In the 80's you had EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, E.T., RETURN OF THE JEDI and (debatably) BACK TO THE FUTURE topping the charts but elsewhere you only really had the STAR TREK movies and ALIENS in the top tens.

That's 27 movies across 4 genres spanning 4 decades in total, which is less than the amount of MCU movies alone (30) never mind CBM from other studios.

Suffice it to say these decades had far more variety for the general audience than they do now and the CBM genre is dominating cinema in an unhealthily monopolistic way that none of these genres did.

Most ticket sales back then were made up by repeat viewings. If the tickets were cheaper and the movies were more appealing, they’d make more money.