John Marston

Weekdays Thread (11/14-17)

40 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

How are you fatigued from stuff you didn’t watch? Is it the constant marketing of marvel projects?

Answered your own question. Even if you want to ignore it, like Marvel fanboys keep insisting people tired of this Marvel crap should do, it's impossible. They have so much power in the cultural conversation that you will still see promos, social media posts, discourse, word of mouth, the Disney+ homepage bombarded with Marvel crap. You can't escape it even if you want to and that can be tiring. And considering that even Marvel diehards are sick of all this, even the ones who will gladly watch every single episode of every single show...yeah, ignoring it isn't something you can do and will lead to bad repercussions for the franchise creatively and financially. Some will argue it already has, though I disagree with that personally.

Still confusing some Marvel fans don't get this. If anything, they should be the ones demanding less Marvel shows and movies. Don't they want their franchise to succeed and still make big box office? Weird.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

People can complain that there are too many MCU movies, but without them right now, there would be no movie theaters.

If you are in a business and make money, then the last thing you are going to do is stop making the thing that makes you money. MCU (and superhero movies  in general) have become to movie industry as hamburgers are to McDonalds.

Back to BP2, how is $70 million even a question?

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jedijake said:

People can complain that there are too many MCU movies, but without them right now, there would be no movie theaters.

If you are in a business and make money, then the last thing you are going to do is stop making the thing that makes you money. MCU (and superhero movies  in general) have become to movie industry as hamburgers are to McDonalds.

Complain about Marvel or CBM is like complaining about westerns in the 50s, musicals in the 60s, disasters in the 70s, or scifi in the 80s.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

But do you we need movie theatres if they're only going to play Marvel movies? Honestly might as well shut them down and give everything a fair chance on streaming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

Okay.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Decent, if unremarkable Thursday for BP2. Looking forward to seeing it today. 70m is possible, but if I was betting I'd go with 66-68m now. 

As for the retread of the MCU, the poster assumes I haven't seen it all 😂. I have watched everything MCU has put out to date. There is just too much now and so there isnt a priority, which eventually causes other problems. Its not a hard thing to understand and the historical nature of these cycles speaks to the problem and how it always ends up in a bust before having to sit for awhile. Supers will end up like Westerns and Musicals eventually, although maybe not on the "cheap" scale. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Unfortunately it is somewhat realistic that we see

mcu quality collapse -> mcu bo collapse -> industry dies 

over the next few years. Hoping for quality to recover instead though 😛 

The audience has now been trained to dismiss good movies as "not theatrical". People are inherently stupid so they need the right guidance, but after almost 20 years of being fed garbage I don't know that they will embrace quality again. I mean movies like Pearl did 10M and the "breakout" Barbarian did 40M. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Complain about Marvel or CBM is like complaining about westerns in the 50s, musicals in the 60s, disasters in the 70s, or scifi in the 80s.

As big as westerns were in the '50s only 3 westerns made the top ten of the year - BROKEN ARROW (1950), SHANE (1953) and GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL (1957).  The highest grossing western of the decade (SHANE) was #5 of its year.

In the '60s only two musicals topped the year - THE SOUND OF MUSIC and MARY POPPINS and eight others in the top ten - WEST SIDE STORY (1961), THE MUSIC MAN (1962), MY FAIR LADY (1964), THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN (1964), A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964), FUNNY GIRL (1968), OLIVER! (1968) and OH! DOLLY (1969).

In the '70s only five disaster movies entered the top ten of the year - AIRPORT (1970), THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972), THE TOWERING INFERNO (1974), EARTHQUAKE (1974), AIRPORT 1975 (1974). None of them topped the box office.

In the 80's you had EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, E.T., RETURN OF THE JEDI and (debatably) BACK TO THE FUTURE topping the charts but elsewhere you only really had the STAR TREK movies and ALIENS in the top tens.

That's 27 movies across 4 genres spanning 4 decades in total, which is less than the amount of MCU movies alone (30) never mind CBM from other studios.

Suffice it to say these decades had far more variety for the general audience than they do now and the CBM genre is dominating cinema in an unhealthily monopolistic way that none of these genres did.

• Like 5