Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

Well i'm fucked. I can get good seats for any Avatar showtime in regular screens. 

But for the premium screens the showtime i was planning to go both on saturday and Sunday is pretty much sold out 

Probably gonna get some very early showtime now and change my whole plan. I think the runtime and lack of premium screens will definitely hurt it on OW, at least in my city, they're already full and seems like people are fine to wait and watch it on premiums.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Sad 2

Can we talk about what the trailer attachments will be? It won't happen (since I assume Oppenheimer is Universal's Avatar attachment) but it would be hilarious to get the trailers for either M3GAN or Cocaine Bear in front of all those eyeballs (as it stands Sony's attachment is likely 65 so that's at least one ridiculous-looking movie that will get prominent placement). 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well i'm fucked. I can get good seats for any Avatar showtime in regular screens. 

But for the premium screens the showtime i was planning to go both on saturday and Sunday is pretty much sold out 

Probably gonna get some very early showtime now and change my whole plan. I think the runtime and lack of premium screens will definitely hurt it on OW, at least in my city, they're already full and seems like people are fine to wait and watch it on premiums.

I almost had to skip OW myself due to how hard it was getting to get a 3d seat around me. As far as I can tell my area of Italy might be overperforming, but sat-sun are hella packed here. Like, really packed.

• Like 1

I want to make a theater report. So we have this massive blockbuster Avatar in multiplexes now, and if the multiplexes are giving lots of screenings to Avatar, that inevitably means other films will lose their space in the theater. There’s certain films that will stick as “alternate options” to Avatar and certain other films that are getting the boot, right?

Out of my town’s three multiplexes, the Regal where I work is the harshest cutter of the bunch. So if a film sticks in the Regal and has multiple showings there, that’s a decent sign for the film’s longevity. And we’re in primetime Holiday season, meaning these films might be able to scrounge up some decent holds by virtue of clinging to their theater space.

Not counting the films with just one showtime (cuz at least for Friday, those showtimes are in the discouraging boonies of 9:30 am and 11:00 pm anyway), the films sticking around with four or more showtimes in my town’s Regal are:

- Violent Night

- Strange World

- The Menu

- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

- The Fabelmans (!!)

That’s only five films counterprogramming against Avatar at the theater. And regardless of each film’s specific situation, the fact that they’re in a position to potentially counterprogram this Holiday season is very important for their future potential at the box office. And what’s more: most (if not all) of these films will stick during the Holidays because there’s only three other movies releasing in theaters next week, those being Babylon, Puss in Boots, and Whitney Houston—when in seasons past, the Holiday season would introduce many more films than just three, right? So the fact that it’s only three means there’s a larger window of opportunity for those five holdovers to stick!

Of course, the reality is that those three films will likely be given as many showtimes as possible, especially when it comes to Puss in Boots. The demand for showtimes for those three newcomers means less showtimes for the old films, and I could see one or two of the holdovers getting cut to make space. If theaters are courageous enough and needy enough, I could see them cutting Strange World to put the attention of the kids/family audience solely onto Puss in Boots, in which case Strange World, devastatingly so, would lose out on utilizing the Holiday legs that, back in 2013, made Frozen’s run so phenomenal. And theaters might be like, “do we really need The Menu? I mean, do we really need it?”

All in all, I’m keeping an eye out to see which films are cut and which films manage to stick. I suspect that in the undercurrents of Avatar’s wake, this weekend and its following weekdays will be pivotal in regard to which holdovers maintain enough Holiday screenings to make a play for igniting those Holiday legs.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2

Just now, JustLurking said:

I almost had to skip OW myself due to how hard it was getting to get a 3d seat around me. As far as I can tell my area of Italy might be overperforming, but sat-sun are hella packed here. Like, really packed.

Here as well, i didn't even bother to buy earlier because people always just walkup, i've shouldn't do it, the premiums are packed the whole weekend and are starting to sell beyond that too.

1 minute ago, SLAM! said:

I want to make a theater report. So we have this massive blockbuster Avatar in multiplexes now, and if the multiplexes are giving lots of screenings to Avatar, that inevitably means other films will lose their space in the theater. There’s certain films that will stick as “alternate options” to Avatar and certain other films that are getting the boot, right?

Out of my town’s three multiplexes, the Regal where I work is the harshest cutter of the bunch. So if a film sticks in the Regal and has multiple showings there, that’s a decent sign for the film’s longevity. And we’re in primetime Holiday season, meaning these films might be able to scrounge up some decent holds by virtue of clinging to their theater space.

Not counting the films with just one showtime (cuz at least for Friday, those showtimes are in the discouraging boonies of 9:30 am and 11:00 pm anyway), the films sticking around with four or more showtimes in my town’s Regal are:

- Violent Night

- Strange World

- The Menu

- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

- The Fabelmans (!!)

That’s only five films counterprogramming against Avatar at the theater. And regardless of each film’s specific situation, the fact that they’re in a position to potentially counterprogram this Holiday season is very important for their future potential at the box office. And what’s more: most (if not all) of these films will stick during the Holidays because there’s only three other movies releasing in theaters next week, those being Babylon, Puss in Boots, and Whitney Houston—when in seasons past, the Holiday season would introduce many more films than just three, right? So the fact that it’s only three means there’s larger window of opportunity for those five holdovers to stick!

Of course, the reality is that those three films will likely be given as many showtimes as possible, especially when it comes to Puss in Boots. The demand for showtimes for those three newcomers means less showtimes for the old films, and I could see one or two of the holdovers getting cut to make space. If theaters are courageous enough and needy enough, I could see them cutting Strange World to put the attention of the kids/family audience solely onto Puss in Boots, in which case Strange World, devastatingly so, would lose out on utilizing the Holiday legs that, back in 2013, made Frozen’s run so phenomenal. And theaters might be like, “do we really need The Menu? I mean, do we really need it?”

All in all, I’m keeping an eye out to see which films are cut and which films manage to stick. I suspect that in the undercurrents of Avatar’s wake, this weekend and its following weekdays will be pivotal in regard to which holdovers maintain enough Holiday screenings to make a play for igniting those Holiday legs.

Babylon is getting at least two screens at many multiplexes due to the fact it's as long as Avatar is. Same with Whitney since it also has a showtime-restricting runtime of nearly 2.5 hours + 20 minutes of previews.

• Like 1

James Cameron’s long-delayed “Avatar: The Way of Water” launched at the international box office, collecting $15.8 million from 15 overseas markets on opening day.

Disney, which is backing the ambitious sequel, says ticket sales were 124% ahead of “Avatar,” roughly 70% ahead of “Top Gun: Maverick” and 13% ahead of “Jurassic World: Dominion.” Opening day sales were 12% behind “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and 23% behind “Spider-Man: No Way Home” in comparable markets.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-way-of-water-international-box-office-opening-day-1235462177/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can we talk about what the trailer attachments will be? It won't happen (since I assume Oppenheimer is Universal's Avatar attachment) but it would be hilarious to get the trailers for either M3GAN or Cocaine Bear in front of all those eyeballs (as it stands Sony's attachment is likely 65 so that's at least one ridiculous-looking movie that will get prominent placement). 

What im guessing:

Disney: Guardians of the Galaxy, Dial of Destiny, The Little Mermaid

Sony: 65 or Spider-Verse

Universal: Oppenheimer, Mario

Warner Bros: Shazam

Paramount: Transformers for non IMAX, Mission Impossible (confirmed for IMAX)

Lionsgate: John Wick 4

MGM: Creed III (IMAX featurette confirmed0

They showed M3GAN before Black Panther so it being in front of Avatar wouldn't suprise me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Babylon is getting at least two screens at many multiplexes due to the fact it's as long as Avatar is. Same with Whitney since it also has a showtime-restricting runtime of nearly 2.5 hours + 20 minutes of previews.

That’s a very good point! Just the time alone is going to restrict the amount of showtimes that every movie on the board is able to maintain. It’s very tight this year because of the length of all these films. But I do believe that theaters have a desire to maintain notions of moviegoers having “options.” I’m stoked to see what happens.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think Oppenheimer is IMAX only, so it'll probably be Mario for the regular shows. After that, I'm probably getting a combo of Shazam (weird they didn't drop a new trailer, but I guess Warner doesn't care since they're doing another reboot), Transformers (non-IMAX of course), Spider-Verse, Guardians, and Indiana Jones. Maybe some schlocky film like Plane replaces one of them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

What im guessing:

Disney: Guardians of the Galaxy, Dial of Destiny, The Little Mermaid

Sony: 65 or Spider-Verse

Universal: Oppenheimer, Mario

Warner Bros: Shazam

Paramount: Transformers for non IMAX, Mission Impossible (confirmed for IMAX)

Lionsgate: John Wick 4

MGM: Creed III (IMAX featurette confirmed0

They showed M3GAN before Black Panther so it being in front of Avatar wouldn't suprise me

I'm pretty sure Spider-Man is meant to premiere as Sony's attachment with Puss in Boots (since they're both animated). 65 makes sense with Avatar since they're both sci-fi.

27 minutes ago, Derpity said:

James Cameron’s long-delayed “Avatar: The Way of Water” launched at the international box office, collecting $15.8 million from 15 overseas markets on opening day.

Disney, which is backing the ambitious sequel, says ticket sales were 124% ahead of “Avatar,” roughly 70% ahead of “Top Gun: Maverick” and 13% ahead of “Jurassic World: Dominion.” Opening day sales were 12% behind “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and 23% behind “Spider-Man: No Way Home” in comparable markets.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-way-of-water-international-box-office-opening-day-1235462177/

That's really good. Why the doom and gloom?

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The same process will take much much longer for a certain Iron Jimbo i fear.

Maybe 13 years-ish.

Hey it's possible that he might not find it disappointing (in his heart 😜)

• Haha 1