Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

Also, I’ll add that I only come to these forums rarely these days & only for big events like this one, but it’s hilarious to me that one of the “replays” I’m experiencing from 2009 is Iron Jimbo’s reaction. Wasn’t he puffing his chest about the first Avatar, & then absent during it’s opening weekend too?

So funny. 

He joined in 2015. But the Cameron stans were hyping up alita and terminator

38 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I actually watched Annihilation again a few months ago and I liked it significantly more than I remembered in the theater.  Its not the 'holy shit this is amazing' Ex Machina, but still really good.  I still need to see Alex Garland's MEN

Men is really really weird. I liked it a lot, but it wasn’t quite as good as his other work imho. 

3 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Oh…he did? Dang it. Maybe he’s just become the mental repository for all Cameron Stans. 

I will give Kal El credit, BTW, as he's been the human embodiment of 

jon-snow-game-of-thrones.gif

in the A2 thread this weekend.

Other folks may have been laying low, but not him and I for one salute him. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Just now, Reddroast said:

Alita done 

Some quick thougts/ review 

Robert Rodriguez was the wrong choice to direct the film. James Cameron or Tim Miller should have done it 

Rosa Salazar is great as the lead 

Action was very good.

7.5/10

1. Jennifer Connelly is stunning.

• Like 2

Just now, Reddroast said:

Alita done 

Some quick thougts/ review 

Robert Rodriguez was the wrong choice to direct the film. James Cameron or Tim Miller should have done it 

Rosa Salazar is great as the lead 

Action was very good.

7.5/10

The script is the problem with Alita (it tries to be three movies at once), not Rodriguez's directing.

7 minutes ago, M37 said:

Here’s the thing: all of bigger openings that legged out exceptionally well - TGM, BP, WW, even (and esp) Avatar - had one thing in common, in that the film was better or something more than audiences had initially expected 

So in later weeks, the audience pool expanded, more people got off the fence or even flipped from out to in, and grosses racked up. OG Avatar set a pretty high standard of quality, in that nothing in the reviews/WOM for Avatwo seems exceptional or way above expectations (could even argue it fell a bit short of where the high bar was set). People basically knew what they were getting, and ~$130M worth chose to go on OW 

Do I think it will leg out better than similar openings at this level? Sure, but topping out at like Hobbit levels of legs. Because there’s really no data to suggest some magical run is brewing, other than the name in the title, and from a much different box office - and social - landscape 13 years ago 

After one day of release NO movie has had data to suggest a magical run is in the cards….

It will get a lot more people to watch over the next two weeks (everyone I know is waiting until Christmas Day or Boxing Day to watch it with their families), but we’ll see what happens after the holidays. 

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Bruh we watched something atrocious as The Green Book winning BP, you really believe story matters a lot for Oscars? Lol 

Similar things can be said about the BP winner this year. While CODA is certainly sweet it's far from the best script among the nominees.

Yes, facts are clear. Strong screenplays thrump technical mastery for Oscar voters. Agree that THE GREEN BOOK shouldn't have won BP, but it won screenplay. Best Picture usually goes with best screenplay. Whether it deserved in the category or not is irrevelvant in this debate. The point was that THE HURT LOCKER's win wasn't surprising at all.

BTW CODA was terrific, well deserved win imho.

I don't think TGM will win BP because of the lack of screenplay nom. EEAAO or BANSHEES will prevail imho. In order for TGM has a shot, it NEEDS to secure a best screenplay nom as well. Not impossible.

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Deep Impact was better

But does Deep Impact have Steve Buscemi having a mental breakdown on a nuclear rocket? I don’t think so!!!  

speaking of mental breakdown, I am a woman of my word. I’m about ready to start True Lies. Even if it is, apparently some low-res modified version on Peacock, because I can’t rent it off of Amazon.

Again, I don’t know if I have either not seen this movie, or I have not seen this movie in 15 years. But from what I gather, I expect I will be having a meltdown halfway through. So. Onward!

3 minutes ago, CanadianNaturist said:

After one day of release NO movie has had data to suggest a magical run is in the cards….

Black Panther says hello.  Others probably, as well. 

But for me the Out of Nowhere Saturday Number on top of the better than foreseen Friday is the Gold Standard for "Something Magical Is Developing".

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

But does Deep Impact have Steve Buscemi having a mental breakdown on a nuclear rocket? I don’t think so!!!  

speaking of mental breakdown, I am a woman of my word. I’m about ready to start True Lies. Even if it is, apparently some low-res modified version on Peacock, because I can’t rent it off of Amazon.

Again, I don’t know if I have either not seen this movie, or I have not seen this movie in 15 years. But from what I gather, I expect I will be having a meltdown halfway through. So. Onward!

What they say about this movie is true. Lies have been spread about its quality, but the truth always prevailes and in this case, liers got nothing going for them, its true!

• Like 1