Eric Prime

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

20 hours ago, M37 said:

Hmm, had you down at $169M, but don't feel like going back to confirm, so with that included (the $137.03M guess doesn't give you much of a window though)

Player Guess Win Range (Low to High)
Cap $126.71 $126.25 $129.54
M37 $132.37 $129.54 $133.40
TalismanRing $134.43 $133.40 $134.61
KlapEastwood $134.78 $134.61 $135.39
Menor Reborn $136.00 $135.39 $136.50
Nero $137.00 $136.50 $137.01
Skim Beeble $137.03 $137.01 $137.78
DC Rich $138.54 $137.78 $138.71
Lion Roar $138.89 $138.71 $139.53
Just Lurking $140.18 $139.53 $141.39

Sunday coming in close to estimates means the OW contest will come down to @TalismanRing and @KlapEastwood at over/under $134.61M (unless it falls below $133.4M)

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nero said:

I have watched 1-2 movies while sitting in 1st / 2nd row from screen. It's very hard to watch the movie imo. You have to look up a lot and can't see properly 

It was a terrible mistake when my friends chose the second row when we watched THE HOBBIT II. It was like having a dental appointment. 😂

• Haha 1

The making of The Abyss is just as good as the film itself. I actually enjoyed True Lies more than Titanic. I found Titanic to be Cameron solely focusing on his technical wizardry with little in the way of character. The rise of incredibly one dimensional characters in his films. The Abyss is the full package. Amazing practical work. Benchmark production design and visual fx at the time. Almost every actor owns their role, and the characters feel fleshed out. I don't know how I feel about the Special Edition cut, though. They played it like every other month on the Sci-Fi channel way back in the 90's.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, M37 said:

Sunday coming in close to estimates means the OW contest will come down to @TalismanRing and @KlapEastwood at over/under $134.61M (unless it falls below $133.4M)

I can’t believe my joke post of $1 under TGM came that close 🤭

3 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

I found Titanic to be Cameron solely focusing on his technical wizardry with little in the way of character.

@MrPink, can you cue up a gif for me? 

Bummer that it's still tracking behind R1's dailies and even came in beneath Disney's generally lowballed estimates. Hopefully it jumps ahead of R1 starting today. R1's weekday totals for it's first week or so below... So, again, starting today, hopefully A2 can begin to match or exceed the dailies of R1.

Fri 71.1

Sat 46.3

Sun 37.7

Mon 17.6

Tues 17.6

Wed 15.0

Thurs 16.8

Fri 22.9

Sat (Christmas Eve) 15.3

Sun (Christmas Day) 25.7

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW it's still selling extremely well near me for today. Wouldn't rule out a sub-50% drop from Sunday as the holidays start to kick off.

Sub 50% sort of the base case right? =50% would be a bad sign for legs.

Edited by Korra Legion

Just now, Korra Legion said:

Sun 50% sort of the base case right? 50% would be a bad sign for legs.

R1 dropped 53.3% from Sunday to Monday. With a better hold, I think A2 definitely has a shot at coming in closer to a 50% drop. I think 50% drop isn't a bad sign for legs because it would show that A2 is starting to hold better than R1 and R1 had pretty good legs (3.45~ OW DOM multi).

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

R1 dropped 53.3% from Sunday to Monday. With a better hold, I think A2 definitely has a shot at coming in closer to a 50% drop. I think 50% drop isn't a bad sign for legs because it would show that A2 is starting to hold better than R1 and R1 had pretty good legs (3.45~ OW DOM multi).

The comparison to RO is exactly what I mean — I think people are hoping to beat RO legs pretty decisively after this weak start. Monday is just one data point, but holding at 50 instead of 46.7 is just 7% better. Probably not what you’re looking for off a movie which is playing plf heavy/likely weekday heavy.

Edited by Korra Legion

3 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

The comparison to RO is exactly what I mean — I think people are hoping to beat RO legs pretty decisively after this weak start. Monday is just one data point, but holding at 50 instead of 46.7 is just 7% better. Probably not what you’re looking for off a movie which is playing plf heavy/likely weekday heavy.

R1 was also a SW movie, and a SW movie that is 1 hour shorter.

12 minutes ago, Cap said:

I can’t believe my joke post of $1 under TGM came that close 🤭

I legitimately never made that connection!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

R1 was also a SW movie, and a SW movie that is 1 hour shorter.

The 1 hr longer thing could hurt weekdays, but doesn’t seem to be doing so in OS markets so far. What does being SW have to do with it

2 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

So what's the goal for today? Below $18M we panic, $18-20M will expect and over $20M we celebrate? 

I'd take 18mil to be honest. Next weeks weekdays are going to be higher

I just worry about the films length holding back daily numbers a touch, when doing comparisons against other films.

• Like 1