Eric the Minion

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

22 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Yes. Let's see the numbers on the 26th before we start going " what happened" if the numbers are as bad as most are thinking I'll write a thread on what happened. But please let's wait until after weekend #2 before we start a potential autopsy

I should make my sarcasm more obvious i think 😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

you know that avatar at worst is entering at 8 of all time ow and at best 2

Could easily miss top 10. Considering that it’s got simultaneous release in almost all markets and ticket prices out the wazoo it’s be quite an unimpressive opening.  

that said, B3

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Is every word containing 'Sa' being underlined for everyone else or is it just me

No its just that San Andreas finally gets the recognition it probably doesnt deserve

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Could easily miss top 10. Considering that it’s got simultaneous release in almost all markets and ticket prices out the wazoo it’s be quite an unimpressive opening.  

that said, B3

I dont think the situation is far all too helpful for Avatar. China has seen a enormous downgrade in projections and presales compared to any market due to its unfortunate placement regarding its Covid irregularities and being in the middle of  big societal/ virus handling changes, exchange rates are through the shitter in most of the globe (for a movie thats particularly OS heavy) and WC final in Sunday will have a small but noticable impact in WW gross as well. It would probably have underperformed expectations no matter what but its OW has stuff going against it compared to pretty much any blockbuster released that time of year in the past

Edited by Gkalaitza

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Is every word containing 'Sa' being underlined for everyone else or is it just me

There was a board update a week or two back and some of the words that are tagged are getting tagged if they are part of a separate word.  Not all of them, but enough that I've noticed here and there.

Edited by Porthos

7 minutes ago, Gkalaitza said:

I dont think the situation is far all too helpful for Avatar. China has seen a enormous downgrade in projections and presales compared to any market due to its unfortunate placement regarding its Covid irregularities and being in the middle of  big societal/ virus handling changes, exchange rates are through the shitter in most of the globe (for a movie thats particularly OS heavy) and WC final in Sunday will have a small but noticable impact in WW gross as well. It would probably have underperformed expectations no matter what but its OW has stuff going against it compared to pretty much any blockbuster released that time of year in the past

If you go by combined all markets opening admits, even with China excluded, it would be way below 11th, so I think it’s fair to say conditions are helping on net even as they aren’t perfect.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

There was a board update a week or two back and some of the words that are tagged are getting tagged if they are part of a separate word.  Not all of them, but enough that I've noticed here and there.

This is how we get to 100 pages

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, adaros said:

He never said he need 2B to break even, that's what clickbait articles said.

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Yep he never said the 2bil thing, Variety said the 2bil thing.

The film needs around 1.2-1.3bil to break even, and thats basing it on 200-300mil marketing.

He'd said in GQ that it needs to be the third or fourth highest grossing film of all time. That's 2 billies. If he meant he'd said that years prior, then you also have to take into account that the costs for A2 increased a lot from then, and that dollars were worth more at that time. If you spend half a billion dollars over the course of 13 years making a movie, and then you earn that all back, you've lost money. And if the studios had to finance this with a single dollar of debt, then you're looking at an even deeper hole.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

This is how we get to 100 pages

Nah, you do that by mentioning Deadline should really do a WWW on themselves since they are only 4 days removed from this nugget of past wisdom...

"Also, with 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water set to conquer all business next weekend with a potential $200M domestic start"

https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-avatar-way-of-water-wakanda-forever-second-lowest-1235195382/

Edit to Add: Of course, now I'll look like an idiot when this does come true:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, krla said:

He'd said in GQ that it needs to be the third or fourth highest grossing film of all time. 

He meant domestic is what people seem to think he meant from the context of the quote.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, thelich343 said:

Who remembers that guy who had that ridiculously close prediction on the orignal Avatar?

think thats Sheldon CR (used to go by Kal-El) , hes always in the avatar 2 thread

• Like 1