Eric is Anxious

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

28 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Part of the issue with the slow presales, I think, is that Avatar doesn't have a cultural impact globally (although the hit job from critics doesn't help); after all (and of course, we do have to just wait for the Christmas legs) this slowdown has occurred even with so much discussion of how hot Neytiri is in this film (I could in fact say something problematic and gross), which just goes to show how dead movie theaters are, especially with Black Panther 2 bombing for inexplicable reasons even when it was boosted by so much inflation, which makes me wonder if Marvel is also dead, I don't think Ant-Man is reaching 200m domestic and I don't think GOTG3 is reaching 350 -- Disney putting everything on streaming is definitely having an impact here, pretty awful to kill theaters like that with a despicable service, they will never compare to Peacock (although Peacock, like all streaming, is still inherently evil), still, Peacock has the best Cameron movie (True Lies), and if you think that's a hot take then just wait until I tell you that Korra is the best character out of both Avatar series. 

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Spoiler

Jurassic Park GIF by Dead Meat James

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

Cross post from the Avatar thread

My first impressions minutes after I exited the theater:

I had a fine time. Just fine.

Might be in the minority here, but personally I liked A1 better.

I couldn't care about most of the characters, only Lo Ak and Spider were interesting to me.

Also, I thought some characters looked too similar and had a hard time trying to understand who was who.

The first movie's pacing is top tier and I always get hooked from minute 1 until the end. With Way of Water, there were a few times where I just wanted to move to the next scene.

I would say that the movie ends on a high note tho.Just like everyone else, I thought the last 30 mins were amazing and easily my favorite part of the movie.

• Like 1

Just now, Grebacio said:

Cross post from the Avatar thread

My first impressions minutes after I exited the theater:

I had a fine time. Just fine.

Might be in the minority here, but personally I liked A1 better.

I couldn't care about most of the characters, only Lo Ak and Spider were interesting to me.

Also, I thought some characters looked too similar and had a hard time trying to understand who was who.

The first movie's pacing is top tier and I always get hooked from minute 1 until the end. With Way of Water, there were a few times where I just wanted to move to the next scene.

I would say that the movie ends on a high note tho.Just like everyone else, I thought the last 30 mins were amazing and easily my favorite part of the movie.

Who did you care about in the first Avatar? I only saw it for the first time in theaters this year, so without nostalgia, I wasn't particularly emotionally invested.

1 minute ago, Dragoncaine said:

Who did you care about in the first Avatar? I only saw it for the first time in theaters this year, so without nostalgia, I wasn't particularly emotionally invested.

I did care about Jake, Neytiri and her family, and Grace.

In this one I disliked Jake

It's not the numbers that are surprising me so much as the abrupt turnaround. Internationally speaking the presales were pointing to one of the most massive movie events ever and then everything just came to a screeching halt. Like, not just "not as big as originally thought" but from really good to pretty average.

What happened???

14 minutes ago, Verrows said:

It's not the numbers that are surprising me so much as the abrupt turnaround. Internationally speaking the presales were pointing to one of the most massive movie events ever and then everything just came to a screeching halt. Like, not just "not as big as originally thought" but from really good to pretty average.

What happened???

B1+O1+B3+G3+O4+I5(-G1)=N4

Edited by Korra Legion

4 minutes ago, Korra Legion said:

Spacings are accurate added context but this is atlas3 slander

I had issues with the way Sozin's Comet resolved some things and in general while it was always pretty good, it never felt like it had the same flow as the top two. Korra S4 also kinda choppy but Korra recovery arc, especially in the first half, is for me the most powerful part of the show, so it gets the edge.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I had issues with the way Sozin's Comet resolved some things and in general while it was always pretty good, it never felt like it had the same flow as the top two. Korra S4 also kinda choppy but Korra recovery arc, especially in the first half, is for me the most powerful part of the show, so it gets the edge.

Recovery arc was a bit choppy for me and I didn’t love how it separated her from the rest of cast for so much of the season. In particular, S3 had the most korrasami content which is a big factor for me, but also I think the villain was much stronger both on a personal and thematic level. S4 plot felt a little overambitious and sprawling to me whereas red lotus was very tight and genuinely menacing. This has never occurred to me before but I guess I’m saying

LOKS3:LOKS4::IW:AEG

@charlie Jatinder

• Knock It Off 1