Eric Loves Rey

A2 WEEKEND THREAD | 134.1M DOM OW | Thurs 17m / Fri 36m / Sat 45m / Sun 36m

How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when Avatar (2009) first came out?

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Ranking the white boy joins the tribe movies

1. lawrence of arabia

2. avatar

3. last samurai

4. dances with wolves

5. district 9

6. dune

7. the great wall

Can you add a #8 so the great wall doesn't look as bad

• Like 2

What I really dont get is why, despite having all the time in the world, did Cameron still left himself vulnerable to the "weak story" line of attack

Cameron says he spent 5 years working on the scripts with a group of writers, but it seems that even the GA, and not only "prentious " critics are finding some issue with the story, heck, I even found 2 reviews which gave it a 100/100 saying that the story is nothing special

If youre making a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time why wouldnt you try to adress what some see as the original's biggest problem?

Theres even people complaining that the story is too similar to the original, which makes wonder what exactly it is that he was doing during those 5 years

• Like 2

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

What I really dont get is why, despite having all the time in the world, did Cameron still left himself vulnerable to the "weak story" line of attack

Cameron says he spent 5 years working on the scripts with a group of writers, but it seems that even the GA, and not only "prentious " critics are finding some issue with the story, heck, I even found 2 reviews which gave it a 100/100 saying that the story is nothing special

If youre making a sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time why wouldnt you try to adress what some see as the original's biggest problem?

Theres even people complaining that the story is too similar to the original, which makes wonder what exactly it is that he was doing during those 5 years

...you had to copypaste this in 2 different threads?

4 hours ago, Eric The Last Airbender said:

Place your bets, party people.

Avatar 2 Weekend Thread Bingo Card.jpg

Part of the issue with the slow presales, I think, is that Avatar doesn't have a cultural impact globally (although the hit job from critics doesn't help); after all (and of course, we do have to just wait for the Christmas legs) this slowdown has occurred even with so much discussion of how hot Neytiri is in this film (I could in fact say something problematic and gross), which just goes to show how dead movie theaters are, especially with Black Panther 2 bombing for inexplicable reasons even when it was boosted by so much inflation, which makes me wonder if Marvel is also dead, I don't think Ant-Man is reaching 200m domestic and I don't think GOTG3 is reaching 350 -- Disney putting everything on streaming is definitely having an impact here, pretty awful to kill theaters like that with a despicable service, they will never compare to Peacock (although Peacock, like all streaming, is still inherently evil), still, Peacock has the best Cameron movie (True Lies), and if you think that's a hot take then just wait until I tell you that Korra is the best character out of both Avatar series. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10
  • Astonished 5
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I caught a subbed showtime and I laughed when the first line was in Papyrus font. 

I thought they would only use it for the Navi language (because if I'm not wrong that was the case with first movie) but 5 mins in I realized they were using it for English lines.

Turns out that THE WHOLE MOVIE WAS SUBBED IN PAPYRUS.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

I caught a subbed showtime and I laughed when the first line was in Papyrus font. 

I thought they would only use it for the Navi language (because if I'm not wrong that was the case with first movie) but 5 mins in I realized they were using it for English lines.

Turns out that THE WHOLE MOVIE WAS SUBBED IN PAPYRUS.

CarefreeSlipperyLaughingthrush-size_rest

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Part of the issue with the slow presales, I think, is that Avatar doesn't have a cultural impact globally (although the hit job from critics doesn't help); after all (and of course, we do have to just wait for the Christmas legs) this slowdown has occurred even with so much discussion of how hot Neytiri is in this film (I could in fact say something problematic and gross), which just goes to show how dead movie theaters are, especially with Black Panther 2 bombing for inexplicable reasons even when it was boosted by so much inflation, which makes me wonder if Marvel is also dead, I don't think Ant-Man is reaching 200m domestic and I don't think GOTG3 is reaching 350 -- Disney putting everything on streaming is definitely having an impact here, pretty awful to kill theaters like that with a despicable service, they will never compare to Peacock (although Peacock, like all streaming, is still inherently evil), still, Peacock has the best Cameron movie (True Lies), and if you think that's a hot take then just wait until I tell you that Korra is the best character out of both Avatar series. 

Might as well close the thread. Nothing else left to say.

• Like 2