Eric is Quiet

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

2 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Yes, people are so bad for wanting some quick entertainment in this god awful world we live in. HOW DARE THEY HAS LESS ATTENTION SPANS THAN MY GENERATION! IT'S RIDICULOUS!

It's the audience that decides what is good and what isn't, not the other way around. Also, what you said is not true even according to Cameron as he pointed out that some audience choose to binge all season of shows nowadays which is more time consuming. If you make good content there won't be a problem like that.

Binging is an excellent counterpoint to the argument of short attention spans. Good thing for us to keep logged in our mental files, I think.

9 minutes ago, shruth said:

people have horrible attention spans nowadays and expect songs to be 2 and a half minutes long and movies to be under 2 hours. It's ridiculous

Wait, what? Where are people saying that it needs to be under 2 hours? They're referencing that's it's 3 hours 15 minutes long and could've been 2 hours and 30 minutes to 2 hours and 45 minutes. Seems like hyperbole on your part a bit here. No Way Home had a 2 hour and 30 minute runtime for instance... That grossed 805M DOM with an additional 10M from a re release earlier this year for 815M DOM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think the fact that the movie just is not selling well outside of PLF's blindsided everyone. Also the runtime could be a major issue.

Also check this out, Avatar 2's interest rating on The Quorum hard dipped between the 28th of Nov right up until the release.

https://thequorum.com/will-a-last-minute-dip-in-interest-hurt-avatar-the-way-of-water/

For some reason the interest in the movie dipped at the last moment?
I've seen no explanations for this, here are my theories.

1) Marketing - Something they did around that time drove down interest. Perhaps that's around when they started pushing 3D hard.

2) Reactions & Reviews. People saying it's all style and no substance and the same as the first

3) James Cameron Comments about high test being a toxin

I don't think that Cameron comments got GA exposure so it has to be some marketing fuck up such as 3D push as you say. Maybe HFR isn't connecting or people just don't like how expensive it all is.

Just now, Brainbug said:

Its not about the runtime.

Its about what happens in that runtime.

I wholeheartedly agree. The issue is, when you haven’t earned the kind of demand and connection that would allow a film like Avengers: Endgame to break records, don’t complain if people aren’t interested on put three hours of their lives to watch it at a movie theater. Unless you aren’t interested on maximizing profits, then whatever.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Should have waited to release it until glasses-free 3D was a thing smh

Cameron can't wait another 20 years. He's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Edited by Elessar

16 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Should have waited to release it until glasses-free 3D was a thing smh

I don't think that'll be achievable in a substantial way for a long long time. Certainly not enough for a wide release of any kind.

Edited by SpiderByte

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I wholeheartedly agree. The issue is, when you haven’t earned the kind of demand and connection that would allow a film like Avengers: Endgame to break records, don’t complain if people aren’t interested on put three hours of their lives to watch it at a movie theater. Unless you aren’t interested on maximizing profits, then whatever.

Are we sure the public has deemed it unworthy of the 3hr runtime? Seems like audience reviews are pretty darn positive, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Are we sure the public has deemed it unworthy of the 3hr runtime? Seems like audience reviews are pretty darn positive, right?

Positive, not raving. It's well received enough to be doing conventionally well, but anyone hoping for A1 or TGM level reception or legs should be seriously worried at the signs atm

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

That’s obviously not what I’m saying. Not sure how to explain it more didactically to you.

Oh, excuse me, I didn't say that's what you were saying. It just seemed to be an essential question begged by the context of that line of discussion in this thread in general.

It is an honest question, though, for everyone here.

join me in my cope-filled journey by answering my question

where the old people at? 

deadlines ow age breakdown skewed a lot more younger than I expected, especially when you compare it with avatar 1's which skewed kinda old

did the old people die off? afraid of covid? afraid of peeing themselves? or have they lost interest?

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What are you on about lad, the movies feels like its 2hours 20mins.

1 minute ago, LinksterAC said:

It felt about as long as the first one to me & I was content to sit through it. I was certainly never bored.

I would agree, but I'm not going to pretend like it's impossible that other people didn't feel the length.  If you aren't into a movie a single hour can feel like an eternity, much less 3 hours.

• Like 1

While Avatar 2 could have been shorter, I never had the sensation of being bored during its runtime. Sometimes a movie is not just about a story but also about being transported to a different place. And Pandora certainly was a place worth the time.

• Like 3