Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

31 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

As hyped as I am for it, Barbie is essentially a meme film only film Twitter and shitposters will actually go see. Basically the second coming of Detective Pikachu, but without the brand power that will prevent it from being a total flop. And even said power wasn't enough to make Pikachu a real hit, hence the lack of any followups from Warner. Much like that movie, Barbie also has to deal with a crowded summer marketplace

The more you guys drag this comparison into the ground, the more foolish you're going to look in 7 months

• Like 1

All this talk about the stars of Babylon failing to carry it to success and yet I know someone who was only interested in seeing it because of Tobey Maguire's presence even though he's clearly not in it much lol (doubt he checks it out now given the reviews and the fact it's likely one of the first movies to go in January if it's pulling numbers this low). No Way Home, its power and influence.

9 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Even her superhero projects tanked at the box office. That is almost impossible to realize given how full proof that genre is nowadays. You can give Suicide Squad an excuse, but Birds of Prey was not on streaming and happened before coronavirus was even a thing in America. They are just not that into her                                                                                         

What is even up with the Margot Robbie hate boner on this site? Suicide Squad as a franchise died when the first film had straight up toxic reception, you don't come back from that.

• Like 1

Babylon earned a C+ CinemaScore grade. Obviously wouldn't mean much given The Wolf of Wall Street earned a C when it opened on Christmas Day '13 but given that even critics aren't here for it either, there's nothing to say here but "well, that's that."

Nothing for Whitney yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Cap said:

Also, for my dyslexic sanity, may we please not abbreviate the Whitney Houston movie, let’s just call Whitney. We don’t need that I WITDSWH nonsense. 🤮 My brain like shut down reading that 😂

Maybe we can use Abracadabra instead 😜

11 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Chazelle will be fine. He might not get more big budgets for at least a while, but I'm sure he's still will get Whiplash size projects 

Maybe Netflix/Amazon/Apple’ll give him a call... 👀

• Like 1

Almost all of south western Ontario got hit pretty hard with the snow.  Actually most of Ontario did.  That includes places like Toronto, Ottawa, London and so one.  I worked in it yesterday.  I drive city bus, the roads were pretty quiet and my passenger load was maybe a quarter of what it normally is.  The storm definitely shut us down.  

• Like 3

We can’t judge anything as far as box office trends this weekend, I think we all have to admit. This is an outlier freak weekend of a storm that’s affecting huge swathes of the country.  All my friends in the US and Canada stay safe, and here’s hoping it all clears up soon.  I’m sure as far as moviegoing goes, plenty of those that want to see the holiday offerings and can’t will come out in the coming days and weeks.  

Internationally, TWOW will more than make up for the unforeseen storm that beggars belief from what I’m seeing on news reports. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

We can’t judge anything as far as box office trends this weekend, I think we all have to admit. This is an outlier freak weekend of a storm that’s affecting huge swathes of the country.  All my friends in the US and Canada stay safe, and here’s hoping it all clears up soon.  I’m sure as far as moviegoing goes, plenty of those that want to see the holiday offerings and can’t will come out in the coming days and weeks.  

Internationally, TWOW will more than make up for the unforeseen storm that beggars belief from what I’m seeing on news reports. 

I think we can expect $50M+ days WW till NYD, so floor is 1.1B after NYD, realistically 1.25B

Edited by JimiQ
Typo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JimiQ said:

I tought Barbie will open to something like $30-50M

I think it can hope for $180M DOM but that’s pretty much it… or? 

I mean if nostalgia hits it's possible for $250+ Domestic. Maybe similar numbers to 50 shades of grey 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nero said:

I mean if nostalgia hits it's possible for $250+ Domestic. Maybe similar numbers to 50 shades of grey 

Now that would be a Barbie movie I would pay to see, Fifty shades of barbie. Her and Ken do s&M 🤣🤣

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1