Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

8 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

What I am really not getting in the theater prospects conversation is the confidence in next year's theatrical projects. If there are a significantly higher number of projects playing in theaters, then yeah, it possibly outgrosses the gross this year. However, just glancing at the schedule nothing appears to be a $400,000,000+ grosser, let alone a $700,000,000 grosser. Is anything even going to outgross Minions?

The Little Mermaid will not be as big as some here are expecting since it has become embroiled within the culture wars. The new Indiana Jones is not going to be another Top Gun either because it has a string of sequels already with the newest not having the best reception.

Next year's schedule appears way more barren than this year's. If you believe that this December is bad, then wait until next year's because The Color Purple, Wonka and Aquaman combined are not going to outgross Avatar                            

There's always slower years occasionally without a mega hit, 2014 is a good example of this, but you can still have good depth within the rest of the movies that the theatrical market is still healthy.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

You can't contact someone you don't know; they have to make a public appeal through the media to contact him. I think someone will be an exception here who still knows Peter Parker; my guess is either Thor because he is God or Captain Marvel because of her Kree-Human hybrid nature.

They will send Spidey signal 😜

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

There's always slower years occasionally without a mega hit, 2014 is a good example of this, but you can still have good depth within the rest of the movies that the theatrical market is still healthy.

Sorry but 2014 heralded the death of BO. Nothing of note released the next year, that’s for sure.

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, M37 said:

Re-upping, adjusting for Wed actual, roughly my expectations 

$14.4/$15 / $19/$13.5/$21 = $53.5M 2nd weekend (-60%)

Off a smidge on Friday ($19.5 per Charlie, and off a lower Thursday), but a lot of uncertainty for Xmas Eve & Day with both weather and post-pandemic holiday weakness

Thinking like $53-$58 for the 3-day, but expecting a really good Boxing Day, not going to be shocked if that day can cross $30M

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I remember that, 2014 was the year of the cursed 90M+ OWs.

Yep, from DoFP at 90.8 to age of Extinction at 99

Though ironically the weakest of those was DOFP at 36th biggest ow. Avatar just placed at 37th and TGM at 39th

24 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

You can't contact someone you don't know; they have to make a public appeal through the media to contact him.

Girl, They are just gonna camp out in Queens until they find him. It’s how it worked for 60 years in comics. No need to over think this. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Yep, from DoFP at 90.8 to age of Extinction at 99

Though ironically the weakest of those was DOFP at 36th biggest ow. Avatar just placed at 37th and TGM at 39th

G14's OW was the thing that made me find the forums back then. That was in hindsight a telling BO experience - witnessing total euphoria about the numbers (OW) and then slight depression directly afterwards (the legs).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Day-to-date is the stupidest consumer choice ever exists. People who want to see a movie in cinema only get to see them for less than one month on big screen but those streamer will be able to stream their movie online for life!!! How is it a fair consumer choice is beyond me. 

HBO Max is proving you’re not always going to get something streaming for life.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

But also probably the last truly healthy year for the DOM box office.  Overall gross was north of $10B, with not a single title reaching $340M

The following year grossed $800M more (+7.5%), but with two $650M titles (JW and TFA), plus four others top $350M (all calendar grosses, not total). 2015 is really when the box office started to become overly top heavy, and fast forward 7-8 years later, the top isn't as strong, there's virtually no middle tier, and the bottom has been eroded by streaming/pandemic/cost

Anyway

Merry Christmas GIF

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Moderation

@StreamBO That's enough. I don't care what actual reason you have for your whole "grr theaters bad" rhetoric, but it's not funny, everybody here is sick of it, and it seems you're just trying to troll and get a reaction from others. Continue with this nonsense and you will see a threadban. Your choice.

• Thanks 6

The lack of depth in the market has definitely become the most glaring part of the recent box office woes. The 100th biggest movie of 2019 (the year before COVID changed everything) still made over $20M, while the current 100th biggest movie of 2022 has a total of only $3M. Part of that can be attributed to less movies being made overall (and 2023's output looking to be not much higher), but still.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Factcheck said:

As per the rumour from a reputable site, Spider-Man 4 might get a December 2024 release date; if this happens, then Avatar 3 would be shifted to 2026, as I don't think Disney would again delay Star Wars movie.

What SW movie? There isn't even one in the works.

1 hour ago, Legion in Boots said:

Sorry but 2014 heralded the death of BO. Nothing of note released the next year, that’s for sure.

59 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

2015 was a great year at the box office. It had amazing movies like The Big Short and Inside Out, medium sized movies that did respectable business as well as huge special blockbusters like The Force Awakens, Age of Ultron, Fast and The Furious 7 and Minions. Hmm not many other good and big blockbusters though apart from the 4 I mentioned

• Disbelief 1