Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

26 minutes ago, franfar said:

She even said back in 2019 that she got the role in "Halloween," probably because of her parents' fame... 

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/jamie-lee-curtis-has-never-worked-hard-a-day-in-her-life

Sure, but she proved her talent many many MANY times over. Nepotism whatever, she’s talented enough that she would have become the absolute icon that she is no matter what lol.

• Like 1

Oh, we’re doing this?

Whitney Song Rankings

1. I Wanna Dance With Somebody

2. I Have Nothing

3. How Will I Know

4. I Will Always Love You

5. So Emotional 

Below that it’s going to shuffle around depending on my mood 

I’m excluding the anthem here, but for a single performance, it’s up there 

• Astonished 1

People hate actors nepotism because actors get paid millions of dollars without diploma. They didn't even study for years for the craft, unlike many normal jobs when connections may happen, but most people don't get paid millions to read lines. I mean,  how is it normal for an 18 yo nepo baby to get paid a lot and even more in the future.

Oh yeah I can do this. Favorite Whitney songs:

1. You Give Good Love- from Whitney Houston album

2. I’m Every Woman- from The Bodyguard 

3. Don’t Cry For Me. I first heard this on the night she died.

4. If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful-  from her Greatest Hits

5. Try It On My Own- from just Whitney

Honestly wonder what Chazelle is thinking after two straight flops, this one being catastrophic. Can’t imagine a studio gives him a huge budget for a third straight film. But his lower budget projects were better imo.

31 minutes ago, XXR Krampus Claus said:

Your Saturday estimate looks good (33-36% drop is my estimate) and Sunday is possible but I don't think the jump will be that high (65-75% increase over Saturday). 

GIF by Achievement Hunter

Toddlers And Tiaras Reaction GIF

Edited by M37
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rainy said:

Honestly wonder what Chazelle is thinking after two straight flops, this one being catastrophic. Can’t imagine a studio gives him a huge budget for a third straight film. But his lower budget projects were better imo.

He’s already signed a first look deal with paramount. So it seems studios have no problem funding his projects. Although He probably won’t get 100m again anytime soon 

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Whitney was also a black woman. I don't know about her trials and tribulations, didn't enter mainstream media like say Britney Spears. Was Whitney's life front page news? I don't remember it that way

Whitney at her peak was a much bigger star than Spears ever was. Beloved and respected by all - young and old, white and black. As for her spiral vs Spears', that's not interesting or impressive career-wise and not worth comparing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

She was obviously a better singer, but more famous is pushing it. Spears was inescapable for years. 

Spears was a teen sensation. Whitney wasn't confined to an age group. Also, nothing tops The Bodyguard taking over the world as a movie and soundtrack. It literally made more $ than freaking Aladdin internationally. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 5

The nepo baby thing is trite. Nepotism rules most industries. Yeah it sucks when people who are bad at their job get work. But I have found with actors that if you aren't really good, you aren't getting a lot great work. Jamie Lee Curtis may have gotten her break because her parents were famous. She took that luck and worked her ass off to turn it into an amazing career. Josh Brolin. Nic Cage. Michael Douglas, and hundreds more. Most nepo babies fail miserably instead of rise to the top, mostly because they don't have the drive or work ethic that is required to be successful in acting. For every John David Washington (who is awful), there are a few JLCs. The whole very recent discussion nepo babies has a strong element of gossipy group think without much knowledge of how the entertainment industry actually works.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm willing to bet all of those untitled Star Wars movies get wiped from the slate eventually. The Rise of Skywalker damaged the brand so badly that pretty much every movie Lucasfilm's tried to make since ended up dying in development hell. The brand has been reduced to Disney+ fodder, and without any real fan favourite characters to rely on anymore (unless they try to make a Mandalorian movie) it might actually stay that way for good.

I'd like to have more Star Wars movies but just keep J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot alumni(of which there are many) away from it.  Actually, keep them away from any big classic IPs because they're running all these franchises into the ground(Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, etc).  Its amazing to me how any of these clowns still keep getting work because its clear as day none of them have any kind of voice or vision as artists, they're all just hired corporate hands building soulless entertainment around algorithms, market research, and pandering.

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Spears was a teen sensation. Whitney wasn't confined to an age group. Also, nothing tops The Bodyguard taking over the world as a movie and soundtrack. It literally made more $ than freaking Aladdin internationally. 

I mean I didn’t like Spears’ music and wasn’t the target audience, but I knew who she was. Everyone did. It’s enough to say they were both pop superstars. 

• Like 2